• Jay
    I came across this article discussing the the importance of formal methods, i.e., higher-order logic and mathematics, in solving certain philosophical questions. The author argued, however, that while such methods are in increasingly becoming popular, they cannot replace the traditional philosophical methods used in answering the "what-is" type of questions. In his own words:

"It is one thing to have a logic of justification or of epistemic possibility but just what does knowledge or justification itself consist in? In response to such ‘what is ... ?’ questions, my feeling is that the response of the formal philosopher should be modest. In formal epistemology, for example, we should not expect a logic to reveal the nature of knowledge of justification itself."

If higher-order logic and mathematics are the methods used in formal philosophy, what are the methods used in traditional philosophy? Is conceptual analysis among them?
  • quine
    Conceptual analysis is usually done with formal logic. For example:
    x is a occurrent belief iff x is a belief & x is activated.
    x is a dispositional belief iff x is a belief & it is not the case that x is activated.
  • Iconic Moron
    Basic fundamental 1st principles like the law of identity, excluded middle, and non-contradiction are the foundations of all reasonable thought. Without them, all rational thought collapses into nonsense. Any person with a decent understanding of 1st principles and skilled in their use can deconstruct any higher-order argument.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.