• Agent Smith
    It is imperative that you realize that I haven't said anything that you don't already know. — The Buddha (according to a monk)

That's Buddhism in a nutshell.
  • Yohan
    Its nn interesting contrast to Soc's conscious ignorance.
  • Nils Loc
    Said the Buddha to a monk: "It is imperative that you realize that I haven't said anything that you don't already know."

The monk replied: "Is that because you haven't said anything?"

Buddha: "I've said plenty, have you not been listening? Do you feel unsatisfied with all that I've said to you?"

Monk: "Yes, I'm unsatisfied with your self-help. I found this new book called 12 Rules for Life by Jordan Peterson and I feel that it tells me things I do not already know, all the things you've told me I already know, which I thought I didn't know once."

Buddha: "Ok, you do you. But if you come back I'll shut up and you can shut up and we'll both shut up together for a moment non-judgemental awareness Samadhi. Then for a moment at least we won't know that we know that we know nothing about what we don't remember because I haven't brought it up.... Have you been drinking? You stink like a keg..."

Monk: "My brother had his birthday yesterday. Yes, I've had a few."

Buddha: "Just remember what you already know about that and you should be ok."

Monk: "My dad and my grandpa are chronic alcoholics."

Buddha: "Tell them to come to my AA group."

Monk: "Yes, I know."
  • Agent Smith
    Its nn interesting contrast to Soc's conscious ignorance.Yohan

Buddhism, as per Wikipedia, has roots in skepticism, the Indian kind, in line with the Socratic epistemic stance of ignorance. Vide infra for more.

shut upNils Loc

The Buddha did shut up; after attaining nirvana, he decided the best course of action was to :zip: . Luckily/unluckily, you decide, Brahma (God to Christians, creator aspect of the divine trinity in Hinduism) appeared before him and entreated him to turn the wheel of the Dharma i.e. to put it bluntly, start talking, teach people Buddhism so that all sentient beings can benefit from his discovery of the secret to happiness. So the legend goes.

Also note Buddha's Noble Silence.
  • Yohan
    Our minds could be like messed up rubix cubes. The Buddha only helps us straighten out rather than give us new knowledge.

6etrq0472bdy.jpg

K4VR-hfQle4CSeQNOhmnSKqwX4j8U3I3OKrA6KsdAb4.jpg?auto=webp&s=2a9a6e5998218bbe2ad69aecea335de4b4a3338d

"Nothing changes, just rearranges" - Lyrics of Korn's "It's On!"
  • 180 Proof
    ... only atom rearranging in void ...
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.