• Cuthbert
    I don't understand why philosophy is so binary. Why they like to take two opposite concepts and prove they both have problems instead of creating one in between... Like Rationalism vs. Empiricism for example.Skalidris

I propose we call it Transcendental Idealism - reconciling reason and experience.
  • Agent Smith
    I'm no expert and I really haven't given the matter the attention it demands.

If you want my opinion, I'd say contraries can be resolved usin' the via media approach; with contradictories, it's impossible and a choice hasta be made, between mind and heart - the former accepts only sense and the latter yearns for peace. Looks like we can't have 'em both since one's the negation of the other.

Perhaps it's a lack of imagination on our my part! As they say where there is a will, there is a way. We could enjoy the best of both worlds, but as soon as we realize everything has pros and cons we're faced with Protagorian-style counterdilemmas.

The Buddha's madhyamaka is, it appears, not to affirm both sides on an issue, but to deny both. The middle then is actually not in the middle like it is in fuzzy logic where different degrees of truth & falsehood exist on a scale/spectrum, but in some place which is, at present, beyond my event horizon. Suffice it to say that I'm utterly bewildered (aporia). That'a all she wrote.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.