• Agent Smith
    everyone hates God?

Nobody likes a tyrant. God is that (omnipotent).
    Nobody likes a know-it-all smart alec. God is that (omniscience).
    Nobody like a holier-than-thou goody two shoes. God is that (omnibenevolent).
  • Pinprick
    everyone hates God?Agent Smith

Actually, it’s the other way around…
  • Agent Smith
    Actually, it’s the other way around…Pinprick

It is really frustrating ... So much rage in that voice - I suppose its typical of death metal singing, screaming rather! I'm sure the vocalist is quite different from the persona he acts out on stage/in the studio. I ain't sure though, it's been so long since I listened to such "songs" and watched/listened the apposite interviews. I need an update, I hope I get the time.

As for God hating us, my all-time favorite God-rant is George Carlin's (vide infra).

You might find :point: God on Trial interesting.

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. — Richard Dawkins

Quite unfortunate, our plight, some more so than others! :sad:
  • Nils Loc
    everyone hates God?Agent Smith

He/It is the transcendent outlier and humankind is bewildered/enraged/despaired by the problem/reality of suffering. Just like in attic tragedy, the Biblical king of kings undergoes the pereipetia reserved for all mortals, a fall (through son). Otherwise how could such a being be relatable, if you couldn't empathize with a true victim of a natural cycle of life. God has become one of us, affixed to the cross of time and materiality.

In very simple terms, because God is greatest of outliers, he must partake in the scapegoat sacrifice because that is the natural perennial process/rite, from man to god (in sacrifice) and back from god to man (in sacrifice). It's a show of reciprocity.

Otherwise our hate/despair might consume us...?
  • Agent Smith
    Nice! And Jesus, as he perished - horribly - on the cross uttered "Eli, eli, lama sabachthani?"

Why, indeed!

One does come away from this feeling cheated, but then it also makes sense in a weird, hard-to-word, way. Which of these two dominates our lives will determine our overall well-being.

The problem of evil has been/is/will be the greatest test of our faith (in God) - the 1755 Lisbon earthquake triggered a deep soul-searching among intellectual's of the day, causing many folks to embrace atheism. I wonder if Covid had a similar effect on religion! Fascinating!
  • Yohan
    It is really frustrating ... So much rage in that voice - I suppose its typical of death metal singing, screaming rather! I'm sure the vocalist is quite different from the persona he acts out on stage/in the studio.Agent Smith
    :100:
    He's catholic.
  • Agent Smith
    He's catholic.Yohan

Malus Deus. :chin:
  • Yohan
    Malus Deus. :chin:Agent Smith
    What do you think of Apex Predator- Malus Deus, for a band / album name?
    *Looked it up. "Apex Predator' is already taken. Malus Deus is also a band.
    I wonder if there is any negative term or word in existence for which there isn't a metal band named after it. Could we coin a law for this phenomenon?
  • Agent Smith
    What do you think of Apex Predator- Malus Deus, for a band / album name?
    *Looked it up. "Apex Predator' is already taken. Malus Deus is also a band.
    I wonder if there is any negative term or word in existence for which there isn't a metal band named after it. Could we coin a law for this phenomenon?
    Yohan

Well, I'm not exactly an expert on naming although I'm fascinated by named effect/laws/rules/principles. Perhaps we could call the phenomenon you mentioned (metal bands & their immorally-charged names) Yohan's Law of Metal Band Names, after you the discoverer.
  • 180 Proof
    [E]veryone hates GodAgent Smith
    e.g. Pandeists. don't. :smirk:
  • Agent Smith

Pandeist's should ... hate god? :chin: The problem of suffering/evil doesn't go away, that's what I think anyway.
  • 180 Proof
    The "PoE" belongs to poly/heno/mono/pan-en/pan-theism (re: The Riddle of Epicurus) and is not raised by deism, pandeism or acosmism.
  • Agent Smith
    The "PoE" belongs to poly/heno/mono/pan-en/pan-theism (re: The Riddle of Epicurus) and is not raised by deism, pandeism or acosmism180 Proof

Okie dokie!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet