• god must be atheist
    Chris: You fail to accept Christianity because you lack faith.

Alex: You fail to reject Christianity because you lack intelligence.
    Art48

What Alex says about Chris has been empirically proven. The IQ of the average Christian is below the IQ of the average non-believer.

What Chis says about Alex is also true (I don't know however, if studies had been conducted to show this to be true with statistics.) Alex does not have faith because he does not need it. He gets along much better with knowledge and intelligence, than Chris does with his faith. Obviously when you want to be prosperous, healthy, happy and successful, being intelligent and smart and knowledgeable is much more helpful to achieve your life's goals than praying and believing in god.
  • god must be atheist
    James' theory is actually a combination of doxastic determinism and doxastic voluntarism. Absolute doxastic voluntarism would mean that one could choose believe anything, simply by whimsical choice.baker

Can you say this in laymen's terms? I have absolutely no clue what you are talking about.
  • god must be atheist
    Faith is a matter of choice. Intelligence is not.Fooloso4

I agree that intelligence is not a matter of choice. But faith? I define faith as belief in the supernatural force's conducting changes in the physical world.

I am still out on that. I don't know. Child-age indoctrination certainly plays a huge role in the faith of a person. Yet, people have reversed their faiths. Atheists becoming faithful, and vice versa.

I dunno. It is largely NOT a matter of choice, but with a lot of effort, perseverance, and thinking, it just may be in certain select individuals.
  • Fooloso4

Perhaps whether or not it occurs to someone that it is a matter of choice is a matter of intelligence.
  • 180 Proof
    IME, reason works better than any of the alternatives tried so far. Better for what? At least for (1) producing, using, correcting and transmitting (algorithmic) knowledge and, via reflective equilibrium, (2) forming normative beliefs in indeterminate situations or intractably complex domains.
  • Agent Smith
    I like your fallibilism idea better.
  • Agent Smith
    You've lost me.180 Proof

I'm lost too bruh! :groan:
  • god must be atheist
    Perhaps whether or not it occurs to someone that it is a matter of choice is a matter of intelligence.Fooloso4

Flattery will get you everywhere. :-)
  • god must be atheist
    James' theory is actually a combination of doxastic determinism and doxastic voluntarism. Absolute doxastic voluntarism would mean that one could choose believe anything, simply by whimsical choice.baker

Okay, I read it ten times and I think I have a pretty good grip on this. Doxastic - relating to belief, to dogma. It's all clear now.
  • Agent Smith
    I see now the OP's point, it's a dilemma.

1. Either you accept Christianity OR you reject Christianity
    2. If you accept Christianity, you lack intelligence
    3. If you reject Christianity, you lack faith
    Ergo
    4. You either lack intelligence or you lack faith

Nobody likes to lack anything now do they?

I propose a counterdilemma, Protagorian style.

5. If you accept Christianity, you possess faith
    6. If you reject Christianity, you possess intelligence

See?

Now, instead of lacking intelligence or faith, you possess intelligence or faith!

Hats off to the amazing Protagoras! Go sophists, go!
  • Fooloso4

By "someone" I did not mean some particular someone.
  • god must be atheist
    By "someone" I did not mean some particular someone.Fooloso4

Too late. Compliment already taken, even if it had been unintended. No harem done, you only made my day, that's all. Is that so wrong? :-)
  • Fooloso4

I think it best to take compliments wherever we find them.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.