• Amity
    Recently, it was pointed out that 'book discussions are difficult to carry out in this forum'.
    That is certainly true.

I was wondering what makes it difficult and what could be done to make it easier.
    Would it help to have some kind of guideline or advice placed as a stickie at a specific subforum?

I looked at other categories and found this stickie under 'Politics and Current Affairs':
    https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/3822/the-news-discussion/p1

Then I looked at a good example of a reading group discussion:
    https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/12417/chomskys-mysteries-of-nature-how-deeply-hidden-reading-group/p1
    Perhaps an OP for an article is easier than for a book.

It seems that a well-written, clear and informative OP is crucial for progression.
    There is an excellent general but lengthy guideline for writing a good one, here:
    https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/7110/how-to-write-an-op/p1

Would it make book discussions easier, if there was a stickie with a clear and specific guideline?
  • javi2541997
    Recently, it was pointed out that 'book discussions are difficult to carry out in this forum'.
    That is certainly true.
    Amity

Well, to be honest with you I think book discussion are easier to carry out rather than political ones. Since I've been in the forum I took part in a lot of threads related to books. My OP's are even influenced by Mishima works and I never noticed big issues during the debate. I mean, the answers adjusted to the nature of the books.

Would it make book discussions easier, if there was a stickie with a clear and specific guideline?Amity

What do you mean? Do you want a discussion related to linguistics rather than philosophy?
  • Amity
    Thanks for you response.
    Well, to be honest with you I think book discussion are easier to carry out rather than political ones. Since I've been in the forum I took part in a lot of threads related to books.javi2541997

Yes, there are quite a few threads, related to books, for sure.
    My question concerns discussions of a particular book within a 'Reading group'.

My OP's are even influenced by Mishima works and I never noticed big issues during the debate.javi2541997

I've had a quick look at your most recent discussion threads and OPs.
    You write well and considerately, OPs are excellent.
    Your careful attitude and continuing, mature interest seem to bring out the best in others :up:

However, the last 6 have been in a wide variety of categories:
    1. Logic and philosophy of mathematics
    2. Philosophy of Art
    3. Philosophy of Religion
    4. Political Philosophy
    5. Philosophy of Science
    6. Metaphysics and Epistemology

Nowhere have you started a book discussion in the 'Reading group' category.
    Arguably, they are more difficult to lead and maintain, especially if the author is controversial.
    Or whose writing is convoluted with a variety of interpretations.

Would it make book discussions easier, if there was a stickie with a clear and specific guideline?
    — Amity

What do you mean? Do you want a discussion related to linguistics rather than philosophy?
    javi2541997

To clarify, this has nothing to do with linguistics. Unless I suppose the book is about linguistics.
    It is simply to consider having a stickie as a reminder of category description and good practice.
    Also, basic 'How to...' advice on leading or make a reading group enjoyable as well as a learning experience. What is required?
    That kind of thing...

I thought it was worth considering but perhaps not.
  • javi2541997

Ok! I understand what you mean now. You try to elaborate or create something related as a new categories inside the threads, right?
    I mean, whenever you start a thread you have to choose different categories to fit your new discussion. You propose a new category for "reading groups"
    For me it is so interesting, indeed. Probably we can put up there discussions like "Thus spoke Zarathustra" or "Emmanuel Kant readings" etc... instead of trying to put them in specific categories such as "Metaphysics" "Epistemology" "Philosophy of religion" etc...
  • Agent Smith
    You propose a new category for "reading groups"javi2541997

That would be great but it's my understanding that any changes to the forum has to be paid for. Isn't that how it/everything works? Found that out the hard way.
  • Amity
    Hi and thanks again.

I mean, whenever you start a thread you have to choose different categories to fit your new discussion. You propose a new category for "reading groups"javi2541997

No, that isn't it.
    There is already a category in the dropdown menu for 'Reading Groups'. Not easily seen, it lies tucked away under another subcategory 'Learning Centre'...way, way down...

What I've just discovered is that some discussions I thought would be in that category have been placed in 'General Philosophy'. For example, Plato's Phaedo and the recent 'Thus Spoke Zarathustra'.

My proposal was more modest. Simply to have a stickie attached.

For me it is so interesting, indeed. Probably we can put up there discussions like "Thus spoke Zarathustra" or "Emmanuel Kant readings" etc... instead of trying to put them in specific categories such as "Metaphysics" "Epistemology" "Philosophy of religion" etc...javi2541997

So, yes. You would think that specific readings would already be placed and found in the reading group category. But it seems that this is a lost place not used, for whatever reason.

Perhaps 'book discussions' should be given a tighter and higher spot in the hit parade :chin:

But hey, I've given this Feedback section enough of my time.
    Appreciate your welcome follow-up :sparkle:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.