• 64bithuman
    Continued on from my last post, which was so rudely deleted. I feel the cold hands of liberal censorship closing around my lips. Can I please be allowed to discuss feminism?

Feminism must experience an ideological reframing and discard its Marxist undertones to be able to continue to be a helpful ideology. Is that an appropriate phrasing?

Marxism understands the bourgeoisie as oppressing the proletariat by controlling the means of production in a consolidation and formalization of power - where the lower classes are excluded from the majority of surplus value. In the same way, feminism understands men as doing essentially the same thing to women. This is a flawed and mistaken ideology. Since we are physically different, we choose different careers. Understanding female-male relations in the lens of feminism is no longer helpful.

Do you agree?
  • ToothyMaw
    Holy shit that is hilarious
  • 64bithuman
    It's a lot of twaddle is what it is.
  • Baden
    Can I please be allowed to discuss feminism? Would that be okay?64bithuman

Read this: https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/7110/how-to-write-an-op

Then post something that shows you have done so below this post. If it's coherent and demonstrates you understand how to put together a decent case for whatever it is you want to argue, I'll leave that stand as the OP.
  • 64bithuman
    Revenge of the mods! I felt I did post a coherent argument, otherwise I wouldn't have posted it.
  • Baden

That's unfortunate. Read the post I linked to, please. Then take your chance to do something decent with your idea if you can.
  • ToothyMaw

Whoever deleted it obviously claimed it was low quality.

Can he repost his old OP? I don't mean to get in the way but I at least thought it was good. Not trying to interfere here or anything.
  • Baden
    Can he repost his old OP?ToothyMaw

No.

I at least thought it was good.ToothyMaw

That's unfortunate.
  • ToothyMaw
    I at least thought it was good.
    — ToothyMaw

That's unfortunate.
    Baden

Yes, it is unfortunate - now that it has been consigned to oblivion. I'll leave it alone.
  • introbert
    I think feminism is a fine topic to discuss, but if you have hang-ups about it I would suggest reconciling it. Feminism of all stripes posit the existence of patriarchy. It is anti-patriarchal. Against the rule of men, especially over women. There is marxist feminism that might look at things the way you have pigeonholed all feminism, but feminism doesn't necessarily mean class upheaval. If a woman simply demands or achieves agency, equality and fairness etc. in her relationships with men she has achieved the ends of feminism.
  • Benkei
    Since we are physically different, we choose different careers.64bithuman

A ridiculous ahistorical statement. Women didn't get to choose and still often don't. And in the instances they do get to choose, they've been molded from when they've been born to fit around a certain gender stereotype by society and often even the parents. And while some of those expectations are detrimental to men as well, in no case have such stereotypes ever included subservience and obedience to the opposite sex as is the case for women. That undercurrent still exists even in traditionally progressive societies, women can choose their careers but God forbid they actually take the lead at home.

Feminists are correct to identify it and continue to argue against it.
  • Agent Smith
    We no longer hunt (for food) although it still survives as a sport. That should serve as a good starting point to discuss feminism. A lot to unpack there.
  • Baden
    No indication from @64bithuman that he's willing or able to do what was asked, so closing this.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.