• praxis
    In an obscure night
    Fevered with love's anxiety
    (O hapless, happy plight!)
    I went, none seeing me
    Forth from my house, where all things quiet be

~ St. John of the Cross

Just read Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury and it got me thinking about the current state of society, specifically, how much we're inclined to seek pleasure, distraction, and avoid pain. It seems to me that our culture is more into short-term feeling-good than long-term well-being, and there's a price to be paid for that preference.

For those unfamiliar with the book, Fahrenheit 451 is about a dystopian future where a fireman who, through no fault of his own, experiences a dark night of the soul, and practically everyone else in his society avoids the dark night at all costs. The avoidance eventually leads to war and the destruction of this society.

The book burning was not forced on society by some tyrannical government. It occurred naturally, according to the story. Quality thought challenged and disturbed people, and taking the time to think about things made people depressed, so these things were abandoned and eventually banned.

Yesterday I was waiting in a checkout line and noticed the four people in front of me all had their heads down locked into their phones.
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    It seems to me that our culture is more into short-term feeling-good than long-term well-being, and there's a price to be paid for that preference.praxis

That's called materialism. Material Girl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p-lDYPR2P8
  • 180 Proof
    Don't confuse Capitalist consumerism with Epicurean materialism.
  • praxis
    They couldn’t be further apart. Epicurean materialism seeks freedom from fear, well-being, and verges on asceticism. It is therefore homeostatic in nature and sustainable. It is also based in reason and willing to follow wherever reason may lead, no matter how disconcerting.
  • Nils Loc
    Nothing wrong with the anesthetizing power of the black mirror, enrapturing the senses in the glow of a thousand dreams.

UNIAru6.jpg

Edit: An exaggerated version of media/illusion as powerful distraction/anesthetic comes from the film/poem of Aniara. There is an AI on the ship whose special function is to comfort the passengers by projecting the features/illusions of earth that have disappeared due to ecological disaster. The film has a great dramatic event of losing the Mima because of the burden of its empathy with the traumatized crowd.

For frequentlv the world that Mima shows us

blots out the world remembered and abandoned.

If not, the mima never would have drawn us

and not been worshipped as a holv being,

and no ecstatic women would have stroked

in trembling bliss the dais of the deity.
    — Excerpt of translation of Aniara, original poem by Harry Martinson
  • Nils Loc
    Encountered a passage in Robert Sapolsky's book, Behave: The Biology of Humans at Our Best and Worst, about the hedonic treadmill/adaptation.

An emptiness comes from this combination of over-the-top nonnatural resources of reward and the inevitability of habituation; this is because unnaturally strong explosions of the synthetic experience and sensation and pleasure evoke unnaturally strong degrees of habituation. This has two consequences. First, soon we barely notice the fleeting whispers of pleasure caused by the leaves in autumn, or by the lingering glance of the right person, or by the promise of reward following a difficult, worthy task. And the other consequence is that we eventually habituate to even those artificial deluges of intensity. If we were designed by engineers, as we consumed more, we'd desire less. But our frequent human tragedy is that the more we consume, the hungrier we get. More and faster and stronger. What was an unexpected pleasure yesterday is what we feel entitled to today, and what won't be enough tomorrow. — Robert Sapolsky

Compare a passage from Jean-Jacques Rousseau's Discourse on Inequality.

Since these conveniences by becoming habitual had almost entirely ceased to be enjoyable, and at the same time degenerated into true needs, it became much more cruel to be deprived of them than to possess them was sweet, and men were unhappy to lose them without being happy to possess them. — Rousseau
  • Agent Smith
    Pandora's box? Don't want to open that, not now at least - we have enough on our plate, oui monsieur? The darkness isn't one problem everyone has to tackle together - in my experience it's personalized to each individual and we as individuals face our own couture darkness every day. I applaud that - many don't make it but some do and hats off to both the fallen and the victorious!
  • praxis
    An unexamined life is folly.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.