• Benkei
    So, I thought it was just because it's the slow news cycle that people complained about Sanna Marin partying.

But actually it's pretty crazy that a highly succesful woman, who also happens to dance well, is forced for political reasons to take a drugtest.

Here's BoJo admitting to drug use: https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/boris-johnson-drugs

James Buchanan was an alcoholist. Andrew Jackson a gambler.

So is this just another example of a double standard/mysoginy?
  • javi2541997

No. It is not about double standard. She is the PM and public representative of a nation. She has the aim to act in the most honorable and rectitude way possible. We are living in a difficult social context and we expect from a statesman to be, at least, professional. Right?
    It is quite contradictory, isn't it? Probably she has the average discourse of how to be an exemplary citizen and look at her dancing and acting like an immature teenager.
  • universeness
    We need to get the balance correct. Let politicians act like everyday humans who dance when they are happy without having to be in a formal ballroom setting. We do also have to monitor people in powerful positions of authority to make sure they are not complete nasties such as Don Trump or Bo Jo.
  • Benkei
    What's unprofessional about dancing at a private party exactly?
  • javi2541997

A politician should not be involved in "private" affairs because she is a public representative. If you cannot avoid private practices, do not be a politician and stay as an average person in society.
    Some of the characteristics of a good politician are transparency and straightness
  • Benkei
    You're not answering the question. Why is it unprofessional to dance?That you don't think she has a right to a private life (which I think is nonsense, everybody has that right, just not when acting in an official capacity) still doesn't answer why it's unprofessional.
  • Fooloso4
    we expect from a statesman to be, at least, professional. Right?javi2541997

Then why not discuss what she has done professionally rather than clutching your pearls because she was videoed dancing at a private party?
  • javi2541997

It is unprofessional because of her behaviour. It is not all about to "dance" in a "private" party. We are not debating about a normal person as you and me but the PM of Finland.
    We should expect more straightness from a PM. We even criticised Boris Johson for the same reason when he was partying at downing street
  • javi2541997
    Then why not discuss what she has done professionally rather than clutching your pearls because she was videoed dancing at a private party?Fooloso4

But Benkei started this OP to debate about this specific behaviour not her professional agenda...
  • Mikie
    A politician should not be involved in "private" affairs because she is a public representative.javi2541997

Come on now. Think for a second about how ridiculous this sounds. You still have a right to privacy, even if you're a politician. She did nothing illegal -- she drank and danced. I'm sure she has sex too -- should we say the same thing if someone released a video of that? Is having sex "unprofessional" or beneath the dignity of the office?

I think it is a double standard, and the standard being: when an famous attractive woman is recorded dancing, make sure to play the video a hundred thousand times -- good for clicks and ratings. They tried to do the same thing with AOC a couple years ago -- dug up an old college video of her dancing around, and played it relentlessly for the same reasons. That backfired, and this will too I think.
  • Fooloso4
    But Benkei started this OP to debate about this specific behaviour not her professional agenda...javi2541997

But you said:

we expect from a statesman to be, at least, professional.javi2541997

If you are to judge her professionalism you should do so with regard to her actions in her professional capacity.

We should expect more straightness from a PM.javi2541997

What we should expect is statesmanship, the ability to steer the ship of state. It seems more than a bit quaint to hold to a standard of professionalism that excludes dancing at a time where true statesmanship is so rare. You mistake the illusion of a staid public image for statecraft. Appearance over substance.
  • Seeker
    But actually it's pretty crazy that a highly succesful woman, who also happens to dance well, is forced for political reasons to take a drugtest.Benkei

It is not that 'crazy' when going through the variable 'outcomes' concerning various consumers of drugs. Not only is a head of state the highest representative of a particular state but such a position brings great responsibility with it as well. A/The head of (any) state can endorse or authorize major decisions which can (and will) affect many national and international matters. Drugs-usage in general is known to destabilize people rather than to add to their equilibrium (and no, not all people). Taken all facts into consideration I'm not surprised at all about the motivation to drugs-test such a high profiler.
  • Tom Storm
    That little party looked pretty gauche, but who cares? Trump doesn't dance or do drugs/booze but he's hardly a paragon of virtue or sober leadership.
  • Hanover
    I think that politicians should walk stiffly upright, always look serious so that we know that our troubles are always on their minds, wear clothes that drape their genitalia in such a way that we're not sure if they have any, put their hair in a tight bun so I won't think of smelling their locks, and they even should put a few pounds on their hips so that I think only motherly thoughts about them. A sagging breast wouldn't be necessary, but preferred.

The dishonor of the mating dance of that harlot should get her removed. I was shocked. How could such a whore ever govern?
  • Michael
    We even criticised Boris Johson for the same reason when he was partying at downing streetjavi2541997

We criticized him because he was breaking the law.
  • Mikie
    Could be worse...

Jesus... :brow:
  • Fooloso4
    It is not that 'crazy' when going through the variable 'outcomes' concerning various consumers of drugs ... Drugs-usage in general is known to destabilize people ...Seeker

Does this include alcohol?
  • NOS4A2

Good for her. There is no problem with her partying and dancing and having fun. Politicians are mammals. The sooner critics get that through their heads the better. She should to own it and flaunt it in their faces.

One of the problems with politics is the expectation that politicians ought to be paragons of virtue, a standard which isn’t possible in any case. Such an expectation forces the politician to work towards better “optics” than policy or governance.
  • L'éléphant
    Thumbs up for @javi2541997 for having more maturity than the PM. I support the idea that statesmen and leaders shouldn't behave like how she behaved in that party. She has a responsibility to her entire nation and a role model to the public. What puzzles me is, she could have had a party and still kept the decorum of a statesmen. Instead, she wanted to be seen like a [......]. Also thumbs up for the drug test.

Is this a case of a narcissist, btw? Not sure.
  • Hanover
    I disagree because I don't see anything negative about dancing and singing and I see no reason to take a drug test because I don't see anything negative about drinking or taking other drugs during your free time.

The question is purely a democratic one, which is whether that will get her or lose her votes. In itself, that wouldn't affect my vote one way or the other. That it would affect others just means some rely upon irrelevant information when choosing their candidates.

How you can diagnose a personality disorder from her acting like plenty of women her age I don't really follow.
  • Hanover
    The real crime is European music. It's just flashing lights and electronic beats that take place in discotheques, which is a word that hasn't been said in the US since 1975.
  • L'éléphant
    Again, you guys are saying "dancing and singing". This is not just dancing and singing like a party with respectable decorum. This is a racy video. Sorry.

And yes, of course, the mere mention of the word "narcissist" would get anyone triste.

Look at the responses on this thread. One even posted a video of Trump? Why? Why do you guys need a counter-example of what many call a terrible, deranged man (not my own words) just to put her actions in a better light? Why not choose a statesman, a representative, a leader, or someone who represents a kingdom and put them side by side. You guys chose Trump, an alcoholic, a gambler, and a drug addict to make your point? So, something tells me, the issue is more grave than what you guys seem to say.

Choose a better counter-example, not Trump, for christ's sake.
  • Hanover
    Choose a better counter-example, not Trump, for christ's sake.L'éléphant

That's a strawman. I didn't say she should get a pass because Trump is worse. I pretty clearly said her actions were fine under any standard.

She seems remarkably normal. That's what I saw.
  • L'éléphant
    That's a strawman. I didn't say she should get a pass because Trump is worse. I pretty clearly said her actions were fine under any standard.

She seems remarkably normal. That's what I saw.
    Hanover
    You lost your mojo here.

And I'm gonna tell you again:

This thread launched a support against the scrutiny of her behavior using counterexamples of men that are Trump, alcoholic, drug addict, and a gambler. I'd like to know why the counter examples are the worst kinds?

Please explain this part? Benkei started this thread and in his OP, this is what I read.
  • Hanover
    I said clearly that her behavior is fine. That's what I think.

I also agree with @Benkei's comments that if you do believe her behavior is substandard, then you have to explain why you don't think men behaving worse is also substandard.

That is, if you have a double standard, you need to explain why.

As you've explained, you don't have a double standard. You condemn them all. That's fine, but now you have to explain why your standard, equally as you may apply it to all, is a standard worth having. I think it's not. Who cares if a grown woman dances?
  • L'éléphant
    I also agree with Benkei's comments that if you do believe her behavior is substandard, then you have to explain why you don't think men behaving worse is also substandard.Hanover
    And my response is, if Benkei believes her behavior is normal, then why is there a need to bring in Trump, the gambler, the alcoholic, and the drug addict? Why not just say, her behavior is common and indicative of a mature statesman as shown on the video?

Oh wait, because you just can't win an argument like that. No, it's not enough to show the video of her dancing and everyone should come to agreement this is a normal behavior of a leader having fun.
  • L'éléphant
    If anyone is not getting the weakness of this thread, here it is:

If her behavior is normal, then let the video speak for itself. Why are you defending something that's normally done by statesmen and leaders and using other despicable leaders to make your point? I wouldn't.
  • Hanover
    No, it's not enough to show the video of her dancing and everyone should come to agreement this is a normal behavior of a leader having fun.L'éléphant

No, that's exactly what I am saying. That it is screamingly obvious to you that she acted inappropriately doesn't have any persuasive power over my opinion that she acted inappropriately. Why was what she did wrong? I really don't get what you saw that I missed.

In any event, we're both in agreement that whether Trump is worse has no bearing on whether her behavior is bad, so the only objection I can decipher that you have is that object that some irrelevant comparison question was asked.

And I don't think really it was inserted for the reason you think it was. The OP wasn't suggesting iher behavior was OK because Trump has behaved worse. The OP was asking if we, as a society, give a pass for poor male behavior but then condemn perfectly normal female behavior.
  • Mikie
    I support the idea that statesmen and leaders shouldn't behave like how she behaved in that party. She has a responsibility to her entire nation and a role model to the public.L'éléphant

Is this a joke?

Yes, a responsibility in public. Not in private parties in the off chance that a video leaks. Maybe she should stop having sex too, lest a video get leaked of it. Or perhaps keep it strictly missionary.

if Benkei believes her behavior is normal, then why is there a need to bring in Trump,L'éléphant

I’m the one that posted the video of Trump. Because I think it’s funny— it was a joke, not an argument. Grow up.
  • Mikie
    Imagine being offended by a woman dancing at a private party. How truly pathetic.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.