I was/am one of the vipers! :sad:
  • Amity

That is your opinion?
    So wrong.
    Come on.
    Fortes fortuna iuvat :strong:
  • Amity

Tears of Laughter. Heaps good :fire:

Now, we'd better call a halt to all this mania...
    Until later :flower:
  • Agent Smith
    Until later :flower:Amity

Until later!
  • Amity
    As Plato might say: "opinions" (doxa) are the currency of sophists that, like Monopoly money, doesn't cash out at the supermarket or in philosophy. Aporia are, after all, coins of the realm (agora):180 Proof

I skipped over this and then became distracted. However, it has stayed in my mind as a puzzle.
    It sounded clever and gave a :up: :100: . Thereby giving an opinion without a reason. Should we expect something more substantive? What would Plato say?

'As Plato might say' - well, Plato said a lot of things at different times and places, using Socrates as his mouthpiece. Philosophical opinions or interpretations of the Dialogues have kept dogma, rhetoric, and philosophy in an eternal, infernal business.

From wiki:
    Plato's framing of doxa as the opponent of knowledge led to the classical opposition of error to truth, which has since become a major concern in Western philosophy. (However, in the Theaetetus and in the Meno, Plato has Socrates suggest that knowledge is orthos doxa for which one can provide a logos, thus initiating the traditional definition of knowledge as "justified true belief.")Wiki - Doxa

It is not only sophists who use or abuse opinions. As to whether they 'cash out' or not, what does that even mean?

Followed by:
    Aporia are, after all, coins of the realm (agora). — 180 proof

'after all' - are they? What did you mean by that?
    Are you contrasting apparently value-less opinions with arguably a more valuable 'cutting through opinion without tears'?

Aporia: In philosophy, an aporia (Ancient Greek: ᾰ̓πορῐ́ᾱ, romanized: aporíā, lit. 'literally: "lacking passage", also: "impasse", "difficulty in passage", "puzzlement"') is a conundrum or state of puzzlement. In rhetoric, it is a declaration of doubt, made for rhetorical purpose and often feigned.
    [ ... ]
    Plato's early dialogues are often called his 'aporetic' (Greek: ἀπορητικός) dialogues because they typically end in aporia. In such a dialogue, Socrates questions his interlocutor about the nature or definition of a concept, for example virtue or courage. Socrates then, through elenctic testing, shows his interlocutor that his answer is unsatisfactory. After a number of such failed attempts, the interlocutor admits he is in aporia about the examined concept, concluding that he does not know what it is. In Plato's Meno (84a-c), Socrates describes the purgative effect of reducing someone to aporia: it shows someone who merely thought he knew something that he does not in fact know it and instills in him a desire to investigate it.
    Wiki - Aporia

Socratic questioning or doubt in knowledge or opinion, then = valuable 'coins of the realm' (agora)?
    Agora being a "gathering place" or "assembly". In Ancient Greece, the center of the athletic, artistic, business, social, spiritual and political life.
    The modern equivalent? The internet, forums, social media...
    Even on TPF, we are inundated by opinion. And isn't that how it should be? Stimulating discussion to enhance our understanding of each other and life. Sharing reasons...as well as emotions.

Back to the OP article:
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/aug/18/dial-down-the-heated-dinner-party-rhetoric-you-dont-need-to-have-an-opinion-on-everything
    How can there be real change in society when people don’t listen to each other or have an empathetic approach to other positions?
    [ ... ]
    But breaking bread with people you disagree with and disagreeing civilly is a crucial step to understanding different points of view and sharpening your own rhetorical skills, convictions and capacity for persuasion when arguing your own corner.
    Guardian

All well and good but nowhere is 'silence' mentioned.
    The silence between the gaps of royal reportage.
    How do we know what we don't know?
    The royal or government concealment of e.g. trade deals with Saudis.
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/defence-and-security-blog/2014/feb/24/arms-gulf-prince-charles

I watched Ch4 news last night. A segment on the Queen and how her power was used.
    https://www.channel4.com/news/how-the-queens-soft-power-projected-britain-around-the-world

She knew it wasn't 'pure'. And it reminded me of KCIII's earlier quote:
    ”as Shakespeare says of the earlier Queen Elizabeth, she was “a pattern to all Princes living”.
    Who else wrote about princes and royals.
    Machiavelli in his 16th-century political instruction guide: The Prince.

What are our thoughts when, or if, we observe a minute's silence?
    What are the thoughts of the royal 'children' standing vigil in public?
    " Thank you, QEII - our very own rich, powerful, manipulative Grannie who served us well".

What about the real thoughts or opinions of a new King when he had a hissy fit about a leaky pen?
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/sep/13/oh-god-i-hate-this-king-charles-expresses-frustration-over-leaking-pen

The new monarch was shown signing a visitor’s book in front of cameras at Hillsborough Castle, near Belfast. He reacted after the pen he was using leaked on him.
    “Oh god I hate this (pen)!” Charles said, standing up and handing the pen to his wife, Camilla, Queen Consort.
    “Oh look, it’s going everywhere,” Camilla said as her husband wiped his fingers.
    “I can’t bear this bloody thing … every stinking time,” Charles said as he walked away.
    Guardian

Is it really about a faulty writing implement?
    A pen is a pen is a pen.

How much real change can we expect in a 'new' era?
    Is there room for a move away from ancient traditions?
    Opinions matter. Slice and dice with care and humour... tears can fall as they will.
  • Fooloso4

That was quite a poria! From Plato to King Charles.

With regard to justified true belief, this is a long standing but, in my opinion, incorrect interpretation of the Theaetetus. The question is: what is knowledge? The first thing to be noted is that one must have knowledge in order to correctly say what knowledge is. The proposed answer, justified true belief, is Theaetetus', not Socrates. It proves to be inadequate. If faces the same problem. What justifies an opinion? After all, the Sophists were skilled at giving justifications for opinions, both true and false. In order to determine if an argument is true, to have the ability to discern a true from a false logos, requires knowledge. But this knowledge is not itself a justified true belief.
  • Amity
    That was quite a poria! From Plato to King Charles.Fooloso4

Aye, nothing like being transported from Ancient Greece to Modern Britain, huh?!

With regard to justified true belief, this is a long standing but, in my opinion, incorrect interpretation of the Theaetetus. The question is: what is knowledge?Fooloso4

Some opinions are more welcome than others, thanks!
    I enjoyed reading another of yours elsewhere:
    In my opinion the scope of philosophy is the scope of opinion. It is the examination and evaluation of opinions. Theology in the broadest sense of the term remains politically, socially, intellectually, historically, and culturally important.

Theology, then, the study of religious beliefs which I believe KCIII has undertaken.
    At one point, given his interest and praise of Islam, Sikhism, Buddhism, the Greek Orthodox church, I think he had hoped to change the oath, to 'Defender of Faith'. That hasn't happened. See my bolds.
    Why didn't it?

The oath read by King Charles at an Accession Council meeting at St James's Palace in London states:

"I, Charles III by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of My other Realms and Territories King,Defender of the Faith, do faithfully promise and swear that I shall inviolably maintain and preserve the Settlement of the true Protestant Religion as established by the Laws made in Scotland in prosecution of the Claim of Right and particularly by an Act intituled ‘An Act for securing the Protestant Religion and Presbyterian Church Government' and by the Acts passed in the Parliament of both Kingdoms for Union of the two Kingdoms, together with the Government, Worship, Discipline, Rights and Privileges of the Church of Scotland. So help me God."
    King Charles vows - churchofscotland

So help me...God!
    Looking forward to the Coronation ceremony:

The ceremony is performed by the archbishop of Canterbury, the most senior cleric in the Church of England, of which the monarch is supreme governor. Other clergy and members of the nobility also have roles; most participants in the ceremony are required to wear ceremonial uniforms or robes and coronets. Many other government officials and guests attend, including representatives of other countries.

The essential elements of the coronation have remained largely unchanged for the past thousand years. The sovereign is first presented to, and acclaimed by, the people. He or she then swears an oath to uphold the law and the Church. Following that, the monarch is anointed with holy oil, invested with regalia, and crowned, before receiving the homage of his or her subjects. Wives of kings are then anointed and crowned as queen consort. The service ends with a closing procession, and since the 20th century it has been traditional for the royal family to appear later on the balcony of Buckingham Palace, before attending a banquet there.
    Wiki - Coronation of British Monarch

[Note my bolds: KCIII is the supreme governor of the Church of England. What does that even mean?]

The media tells us we are all heartbroken.
    How many swallow this opinion?
    In awesome wonder...
  • 180 Proof
    You've answered your own questions to your satisfaction it seems (with wikis, etc), so, as Plato's Socrates might have done, I'll leave it there.
  • Amity
    You've answered your own questions to your satisfaction it serms (with wikis, etc), so, as Plato's Socrates might have done, I'll leave it there.180 Proof

:lol: I never know when to shut up but I'm learning :zip:
  • 180 Proof
    I usually don't know what I think until I speak – don't ever "shut up" that beautiful mind of yours.
  • Amity
    I usually don't know what I think until I speak – don't ever "shut up" that beautiful mind of yours.180 Proof

Lost for words.
    Thank you.
    :hearts: :sparkle:
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.