• Tate
    In a religious milieu, atheism has a sanitary function as cognitive hygiene (practice) or an intellectual prophylactic (theory) ~ anti-magical / anti-supernatural thinking and living. Also, a very late cultural development by comparison to religion (i.e. superstition) e.g. naturalistic philosophies.180 Proof

Although it brings with it the burden Camus talked about. It's nice to here you refer to Lucretius as late, though. Some seem to think we went from the stone age to Greece and Rome.
  • 180 Proof
    I wasn't referringvto Lucretius; 'recorded' disbelief in state or hearth gods predate him by centuries, if not a millenium or more, in ancient India, China and Greece.
    The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good. — Psalms 14:1 (KJV)
  • Tate
    wasn't referringvto Lucretius; 'recorded' disbelief in state or hearth gods predate him by centuries, if not a millenium or more.180 Proof

Who are you talking about?
  • 180 Proof
    You said I was referring to an individual. I was not. Re:
  • Tate

You mentioned naturalistic philosophy, so I thought you meant Lucretius.

Psalms is from the Iron Age. They didn't believe in life after death, btw.
  • Tom Storm
    Although it brings with it the burden Camus talked about.Tate

Which burden is that? A la Sisyphus?
  • Tate
    Which burden is that? A la Sisyphus?Tom Storm

Sisyphus is Camus' answer to the problem.
1234Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.