• universeness
    The problem of evil implies the immorality of procreation. See op for details.Bartricks

No, it doesn't, and the OP is drivel and illogical. There is no such existent, as a living omni and there are no gods, and evil is not a self-sustaining force. Don't try to infect others with your own struggle with religion. If you want a god to comfort you when you are scared, then accept that any omni god must be the source of evil, as such a first cause is the ultimate solipsist, as it claims nothing really exists, except it, and its existence is only by its own will. Procreation is not evil, it's a natural imperative against extinction, that can be controlled through reason or indeed, legislation, if overpopulation is proving problematic.
    The universe is a big place and overpopulation will not be a problem, once our species colonises outside of this nest planet. We are relative newcomers in the Universe. Perhaps if you study the cosmic calendar, you will be less concerned. Try to face your primal fears and you will find life and living has a lot of joyous times available to you and you can leave a legacy that adds to the fantastic achievements that the human race has already left to you.
  • Bartricks
    There's an argument in the OP. It shows how the problem of evil implies antinatalism.
    Now, you are psychologically incapable of accepting that as you are convinced already that I am wrong and you are right. So there is really no point in you continuing to contribute to this thread, is there? Unless you plan on engaging with the OP, go away.
  • universeness
    There is an illogical argument in the OP that does not in any way show that the problem of evil implies antinatalism. That's just your morose opinion, nothing more. I can just as easily claim that you are psychologically incapable of accepting that you are positing illogical nonsense.
    I am certainly asserting that you are utterly wrong, yes, just as you are asserting you are correct.
    Those are the normal ingredients of 'argument.'
    I continue to explain why you are being so illogical to try to help you face the primal fears that seem to make you so morose. I also wish to prevent you from infecting anyone else with your misguided logic and your negative viewpoints. You go away!
  • Bartricks
    You are just saying things. You are not providing evidence that the argument is 'illogical'. You are just saying it is. Which is what you would say about any argument I made about anything, yes? So you are a troll. And unfunny. So go away. You are adding nothing.
  • universeness
    Procreation is essential as there are no gods and no omnis. We are not yet individually immortal, and we demonstrate no ability to be omni anything. To continue the story of the universe, lifeforms which can demonstrate awareness of self, must reproduce.
    The only alternative, is indeed, a lifeless meaningless universe. The universe has already demonstrated that life is part of its evolution, therefore, we should get on with living life not as a curse but as part of the natural development of a universe.
  • universeness
    You are just saying things.Bartricks

Well, I am typing things, sure, what do you think you are doing?
    Your evidence begins by positing entities that do not exist, that is illogical.
    Who is this omnipotent, omniscient you posit? They exist only in your head?
    If this is not evidence enough that you are being illogical, then you need professional help with your mental state. A troll is another mythical beast and the idea that I am trolling you is just you, experiencing panic. I have little interest in your ability to appreciate my humour. You go away and stop trying to downgrade the lives of others. You will fail!
  • Bartricks
    Again, how the F does that engage with the OP?

When someone creates a thread, there is an obligation on those who contribute to it to address the OP.

If you think the OP is bollocks, don't just say that. Explain why it is bollocks.

Don't just say things on topics vaguely related to the OP. Don't just express your view about something.

Address the argument. Look at what I said and address something I said. Christ.
  • Bartricks
    Isolate a claim I made in the OP and say why it is false. If you can't do that - if you can't actually address anything I have said, but can only blurt things - then have the decency to go away.
  • universeness
    Imagine there is an omnipotent, omniscient person.Bartricks

Impossible, illogical, no such entity exists.

And imagine that this omnipotent omniscient person really likes the sensible world,Bartricks

BY definition, an omni cannot have 'desires,' it's illogical to suggest it can.
    Desire is about need, how can an omni need? This is illogical and contradictory.
    You fall miserably at the first fence. But you already know that don't you.
  • Bartricks
    Impossible, illogical, no such entity exists.universeness

That's a blurt. That's not an argument. It's just you saying something.

Note too that the proponent of the problem of evil thinks that what is impossible is God existing and this sensible world (with us in it) existing (and even then, that's only those who are running the logical problem of evil). They do not think that it is impossible for an omnipotent, omniscient person to exist, for if they thought that then they would not need to raise the problem of evil as God's non-existence would be established already.

There is nothing impossible about such a person and if you think otherwise you owe an argument and, more importantly, those I am addressing will agree with me, not you (note, I am not addressing you, as you are too confused to be worth addressing - I am addressing those who run the problem of evil against God).

Try again. Try arguing something. Note: if you think something, that isn't evidence it is true. Eat that piece of humble pie and let it digest for a bit. Then try again.

Or, alternatively, throw your arms up, say illogical and perhaps bollocks and word salad a bit, and then go away. I would recommend that last one.
  • universeness
    If you are unable to change the world, then you ought to frustrate your desire to introduce new sentient life into it. Yes?Bartricks

No, you can change the world, many historical people have and your desire to pass on your legacy to your children to continue your work is valid. Do you need me to name some people from history that have 'changed the world?' Like the unknown creature who first used fire to cook meat or used tree trunks to roll a big boulder over a distance to turn it into a standing stone?
  • Bartricks
    No, you can change the world, many historical people have and your desire to pass on your legacy to your children to continue your work is valid.universeness

You lack the ability to change how the sensible world operates. For instance, you lack the ability to prevent the horrendous evils that are occurring daily. You're not God.
  • universeness
    That's a blurt. That's not an argument. It's just you saying something.Bartricks

So, identify this omnipotent/omniscient, get it to reveal itself and demonstrate its ability. Can you do that or is it you that's just typing BS.
  • Bartricks
    So, identify this omnipotent/omniscient, get it to reveal itself and demonstrate its ability. Can you do that or is it you that's just typing BS.universeness

Make an argument.

And did you understand the point about the problem of evil? Did you understand that if you can show that it is impossible for an omnipotent omniscient person to exist, then you don't need to run the problem of evil? Did that make sense to you? I need to know what I am dealing with here. Are you someone who can't understand that a proponent of the problem of evil thinks God 'can' exist - or at least, tacitly they are acknowledging this - they just think their existence is incompatible with the world as it is.
  • universeness
    You lack the ability to change how the sensible world operates. For instance, you lack the ability to prevent the horrendous evils that are occurring daily. You're not God.Bartricks

No one is, god doesn't exist. I can change how the world operates through scientific breakthrough that can indeed prevent many horrendous evils. Are you still afraid of smallpox for example?
  • universeness
    Make an argument.Bartricks

My argument is that your omnipotent/omniscient does not exist, prove it does, put up or shut up!
  • Bartricks
    No one is, god doesn't exist. I can change how the world operates through scientific breakthrough that can indeed prevent many horrendous evils. Are you still afraid of smallpox for example?universeness

Try and stick to the topic. Do you have the ability to prevent all of the horrendous evils that are occurring in the world? Yes or no?

It's no, right? So, moving on....
  • Bartricks
    My argument is that your omnipotent/omniscient does not exist, prove it does, put up or shut up!universeness

that's not an argument.

Make an argument.
  • universeness
    Try and stick to the topic. Do you have the ability to prevent all of the horrendous evils that are occurring in the world? Yes or no?Bartricks

Yes, given enough time and scientists and human assistants. If not me then others like me from the same species.
  • universeness
    Make an argument.Bartricks

Learn what an argument is!
  • Bartricks
    Start another thread in which, in your OP, you just make some random assertions (lots of the threads here are like that).

Then anyone who wants to discuss your random assertions can do so.

But this is my thread and I made an argument. If you are not interested in engaging with that argument, or can't even recognize that it is one, then you need to go away. That is what decency demands
  • Bartricks
    What is a disjunctive syllogism? You have 30 seconds.
  • universeness
    That is what decency demandsBartricks

Decency demands that I help ensure your BS gets revealed as such.
    I am quite willing to not engage with you directly as you are currently lost in your own fallacious miasma. I hope more and more members at TPF will also choose not to engage with you.
  • universeness
    What is a disjunctive syllogism? You have 30 seconds.Bartricks

What is a dysfunctional misanthrope? You have the rest of your life?
  • Bartricks
    Ah, you didn't know. What a surprise.
  • universeness
    Do you really think you can use some BS rule of inference to add any weight to your absolutely illogical viewpoints?
  • universeness
    You have 30 seconds.Bartricks

Do you understand how manic this makes you seem?
  • Banno
    Ever the quote if managers giving more work to their subordinates. You can quit a job but not life itself though, lest death. Cold comfort. Paternalistic thinking. Another person’s suffering started for them and here’s why I’m so justified. But I’m not.schopenhauer1

What?
  • universeness
    Are you someone who can't understand that a proponent of the problem of evil thinks God 'can' existBartricks

Bart Ehrman for example, cites the problem of evil as the reason he no longer believes that god exists.
    But sure, anybody can still believe any BS no matter how illogical it is.
  • Bartricks
    Are you still saying stuff?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.