• Pie
    it only follows from The Cogito that "doubting exists", not the doubter herself.180 Proof

:up:
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    "Have I habitually told people the space above their heads is empty?"
    If you answer this question for yourself, would you invent the answer, or would you utilize your memory to produce an answer? I would use my memory. We could class reference to memory as an act of using one's creative power, but then how would we distinguish between fact and fiction?
  • Isaac
    We could class reference to memory as an act of using one's creative power, but then how would we distinguish between fact and fiction?Metaphysician Undercover

Exactly. I can't even remember why I came into the kitchen, and you're trying to sell it as a route of access to the truths of the universe?

Oh, and to answer your question directly... we distinguish by checking with others.
    Exactly. I can't even remember why I came into the kitchen, and you're trying to sell it as a route of access to the truths of the universe?Isaac

No, I took those questions as personal problems which could potentially be resolved through introspection, not as having anything to do with "the truths of the universe". You asked me some questions about the relationship between specific beliefs you hold, and the way you behave. But I didn't know that your memory was so poor that introspection could not help you with those issues. A psychologist, or perhaps even a physician, might be the better route for you.
  • Isaac
    I didn't know that your memory was so poor that introspection could not help you with those issues. A psychologist, or perhaps even a physician, might be the better route for you.Metaphysician Undercover

But I can't see how I'd even get past the preliminary consultation.

"Doctor, I can't remember what my beliefs were"

"What makes you think that?"

"Er..."
    Let's just say you're beyond hope, Isaac.
  • Alkis Piskas
    Where do you stand on Neurath's boat?
    Not too near the edge :lol:
    bongo fury
    :grin: :up:

Well, I myself have jumped out of the edge and left the seep behind me. I can only talk about the known "Theseus' Ship" is one of the many pseudo-paradoxes, that is paradoxes based on wrong interpretation of facts (fallacy, wrong deduction, etc.)
  • Agent Smith
    Idealism & solipsism together is a chicken-and-egg situation. Everything depends on the mind to exist + I alone exist. This raises the following conundrum: To exist I must think (about myself); To think (about myself) I must exist.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.