• TiredThinker

I am not familiar with this sixpense dream, but it seems a little too close to the person having the dream to give the idea that they went anywhere to learn about it, and people might lose money near a tree versus a random shoe of known color on a rooftop which is nowhere near the person.
  • 180 Proof
    I'm obviously not as smart as you, Dr. Bartricks, so tell me: (A) Is it the fear of death that harms one? (B) Is it one's actual death that harms one once one is dead? or (C) Both? Also, in the case of (B), tell me how does one, when dead, experiences being harmed. :razz:

And by 'deaths' here is meant the discontinuation of our residence in the body.Bartricks
    What resides in the body? And where else can it reside?
  • Noble Dust

My advice is to not disparage your interlocutors if you want any discussion.
  • Bartricks
    You're drawing distinctions among dreams, not providing any reason to think that a dream of a shoe on a roof, had while one's body nears death, is not a dream.

It would be remarkable if, from time to time, people did not have dreams that gave them true beliefs about the world.

And there are all manner of possible explanations of this, ranging from coincidence to locked away memories being plundered during dream-time.

People have the dreams you're talking about when they're not nearing death. And some have them when they are. They're still dreams.

I don't understand why you think they're not dreams.
  • TiredThinker
    Assuming an afterlife is worse than here. Are we talking brim stone and hellish landscapes? Worse in what way, and why exactly?
  • Bartricks
    I'm obviously not as smart as you, Dr. Bartricks,180 Proof

To quote you: :up: stopped clock.

so tell me: (A) Is it the fear of death that harms one?180 Proof

No, death itself. Fear is unpleasant, of course, but it is not what the harm of death consists in for the death of one who has no fear of dying is still harmful, is it not? Tom, who is not fearing death at all, is killed when the jet plane he is on slams into a mountain. Tom was harmed by that.

(B) Is it one's actual death that harms one once one is dead?180 Proof

Yes, death - which I would define as the point at which one is no longer here, in this realm - is harmful. And it is harmful because of where you end up.

tell me how does one, when dead, experiences being harmed180 Proof

Because you still exist. Your body no longer contains you. But you still exist. That's the conclusion.
  • Janus
    Our faculties of reason represent death to be a great harm. That's why rational people do virtually all they can to avoid it.

It would not be a great harm if it ended one's existence as one can't be harmed if one does not exist.

Thus we continue to exist after death, else our deaths could not harm us. And the plane of existence our deaths take us to be must be considerably worse than this one, else it would not be harmful to die, but beneficial.

That's another reason to view NDEs with suspicion - they tend to represent the afterlife to be a nice place to be. Our reason tells us it will be worse than here.
    Bartricks

'Our faculties of reason" don't represent death to be anything at all, because we have no knowledge of it. We are afraid of death because we are afraid of the unknown, People are also afraid of annihilation which covers the two imaginable possibilities; we are either annihilated or we continue to exist in some unknown way.

People are also afraid of the suffering that may be involved in dying; pain, loss of control, loss of faculties, indignities and having to let go of what we are so attached to: life. How could we possibly know whether there is any "plane of existence" after this one, let alone that it is worse than this one?

Apparently it's only your "reason" that "tells" you all these things; I've never heard any such nonsense from anyone else. And all this from one who believes in a benevolent creator: if the creator was benevolent why would it send us to a worse plane of existence after death?
  • Bartricks
    Assuming an afterlife is worse than here. Are we talking brim stone and hellish landscapes? Worse in what way, and why exactly?TiredThinker

I don't know. I just know that my reason and the reason of virtually everyone else tells them that death is something to avoid.

There's a bottle of bleach in my cupboard. It says "Danger: do not drink". Now, do you think drinking it will benefit me or harm me?
  • Noble Dust

:cheer:

Wisdom embodied. Always relish reading your posts.
  • Bartricks
    Always relish reading your posts.Noble Dust

How do you apply relish to an activity? That seems incoherent to me, or perhaps I am missing something.
  • TiredThinker
    I prefer to not think they’re merely dreams because people consider them far more profound and in a way that changes their perspective basically for life. No everyday dream I might have does that. And certainly none have informed me of anything.
  • Noble Dust

Why do you need to know?
  • Bartricks
    'Our faculties of reason" don't represent death to be anything at all, because we have no knowledge of it.Janus

Question begging.
  • 180 Proof
    Because you still exist. Your body no longer contains you. But you still exist.Bartricks
    How?

And, without a spatiotemporally discrete body, what differentiates you from not-you?
  • Bartricks
    Well, a relish is a kind of pickle. And to relish something is to apply that pickle to it. Yet to read a post is an activity. And so what I am confused by is how one can apply a pickle to an activity. Can one butter a thought?
  • Bartricks
    That's a link to a dictionary, not an explanation of how you can apply relish to an activity.

And how can a dictionary tell me anything - how can it make representations? I do not understand. But perhaps I am missing something.
  • Noble Dust
    That's a link to a dictionary, not an explanation of how you can apply relish to an activity.Bartricks

It's a link to a dictionary so you can learn about what "relish" means.
  • Bartricks
    How?

And, without a spatiotemporally discrete body, what differentiates you from not-you?
    180 Proof

If you exist yet your body does not, then you are not your body, yes? A stopped clock only tells the right time twice a day, so let's go for the double
  • Bartricks
    But how could I learn from it? Does it tell me things? And i know what relish is. I have a jar of it.
  • TiredThinker

Find any recent data on the beliefs?
  • Noble Dust

It tells you what "relish" means.
  • Bartricks
    How? Does it have a mouth?
  • Bartricks
    Well, how does it tell me what relish means without a mouth? I can't find its mouth.
  • Noble Dust

Why do you need a mouth to learn what relish means?
  • Bartricks
    No, the dictionary needs one else how can it tell me anything?
  • Bartricks
    I think I was very clear. And I am surprised you are having difficulty understanding me when you yourself had trouble understanding how our reason can make representations.
    I find I am sharing your difficulties.
    Now, this dictionary thingy - how can it tell me about relishes if it lacks a mouth?
  • Noble Dust
    And I am surprised you are having difficulty understanding me when you yourself had trouble understanding how our reason can make representations.Bartricks

Shouldn't you not be surprised that I'm supposedly having difficulty understanding you?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment