• dclements
    One of the curious things I realized while studying science and philosophy awhile ago is that everything seems to exist because of processes. To be honest this is not something I realized while drawing my own conclusions (which I usually do), but more after reading about Dharmic religions and philosophy. In Jainism there is a doctrine called Pratītyasamutpāda/Dependance Arising that goes something like this

"Pratītyasamutpāda (Sanskrit: प्रतीत्यसमुत्पाद; Pali: पटिच्चसमुप्पाद paṭiccasamuppāda), commonly translated as dependent origination, or dependent arising, states that all dharmas ("things") arise in dependence upon other dharmas: "if this exists, that exists; if this ceases to exist, that also ceases to exist." --Wikipedia

The funny thing about 'processes' in the West is that they tend to be looked down upon as being either too mundane/moot/unimportant for any real consideration (unless theses things are some of the atoms we are smashing together or other research) and they are in no way sacred or divine unless enough of them come together to form life, a church, or something else along those lines. My personal belief is that this is partly because of our tendency to organize things in a hierarchical model where often only things at the very top are thought to have any significance , and since 'processes' are the lowest of the low we more often than not tend to forget that they even exist even if they themselves are a vital aspect of our existence.

If anyone reading this doubts their importance, I dare you to come up with an example of something that exists (other than being imagined or fictional) that isn't caused by processes. Heck it is even difficult to come up with a THEORETICAL thing that is plausible without it being created through processes. And on top of all that, anything that exists even if it seems to be uncaused, it is still undetermined as to whether it really is an uncaused thing because we are unable to truly know whether if something that seems uncaused is really an uncaused thing or (which is more likely than not) something that was caused but processes that we haven't seen or become aware of.

While I'm not aware of any actual 'truths' that exists in our physical world (which was a recent topic of another thread), the closest thing I know of is that everything is caused by either a process or processes and this is a theory that it is almost a given that it is impossible for anyone to disprove such an argument. That is of course without resorting to purely fictional/imagined things.
    I guess the original point of mentioning any of this is that there seems to be a kind of dual way of looking at our world in regard to processes. Things that are processes are merely a resource, to be used and/or consumed however that is needed or however we see fit. Much like the way a company calls their employees 'resources' since they themselves are merely something to be used like a tool in order for the company to make money.

However when it comes to one's own family, church, etc it is .. unsettling to view ourselves, those around us, and the community we live in the same way we view the processes and resources we need to use or exploit in order to survive. It is IMHO that this kind of view creates a certain kind of bias when thinking of the world around them where one is able to be indifferent to part of the world around them, but still expect the world to treat them and their family as the 'special snowflake' that they believe themselves to be.

While I don't know if viewing the entire world (including one's inner sanctum) as mere resources or tools would be an improvement, I think the realization of how unpleasant it may be to treat everyone the same way could be enough to make some people are of how indifferent they are to those outside of their circle of people they think are important.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.