• Mikie
    Perhaps worth its own thread. This was a big decision and portends a nightmarish horizon.

The Supreme Court has said it requires Congress to speak clearly in the interest of democratic accountability. In the climate decision, Chief Justice Roberts wrote that the people’s elected representatives should make decisions where the consequences are enormous.

“A decision of such magnitude and consequence rests with Congress itself, or an agency acting pursuant to a clear delegation from that representative body,” he wrote.

But the net effect of that approach was to enhance the Supreme Court’s own authority.

“They’re saying that they’re doing it for democracy purposes, but the fact is that they’re increasing their own power,” Professor Lazarus said.

Were democracy working, Professor Huber said, there would be new federal legislation to address the threat to the planet.

“If we had a Congress that at all reflected what the median American voter wanted,” he said, “we’d have relatively aggressive climate action.”

Exactly. This goes back, once again, to how important the (original) $350 billion reconciliation bill was last year.

Despite having both chambers of congress and the executive, nothing has happened on climate change. The reactionary court knows this quite well, and so like the excuse of “sending it back to states,” sending it back to Congress and the “representatives of the people” is a complete joke. Just the same old delay, delay, delay tactics of these unelected corporate shills.

The strategy of delay: Pass it on to state legislatures, because they’re dominated mostly by corporate-stocked conservatives; kick it all back up congress, because the house is gerrymandered in favor of conservatives and the Senate disproportionately favors conservatives (plus it’s minority rule anyway thanks to the filibuster). This way it looks like you’re operating on principles and not the nihilistic greed, Christian nationalism, and science denial that you really are.

So I know we can’t blame only one person, but at the end of the day the actions of one guy from West Virginia, Joe Manchin, has ostensibly been the roadblock to the changes that are needed. Blocked the reconciliation bill, and refused to abolish filibuster. No winning. Where are the people going to THAT guy’s house and protesting? Now’s the time.

Between the Supreme Court, appellate courts, Congress, state legislatures, governorships, think tanks, corporate lobbying groups, and a mass of enthusiastic consumers of Fox News type propaganda — the conservatives have already won.

Turns out the 2020 election only stopped the train from going backwards, delayed the inevitable and, at best, nibbled around the edges of progress. So once again if the voters show up, it’ll have to be because they’re motivated by the horrors inflicted by the party technically not in power — but not because of legislative success. Not an easy feat. And unlikely.

Which means the climate-denying, election fraud-believing, Trump-worshipping, spineless corporate servants take back Congress —and nearly nothing gets done until 2024, when things could go even worse.

All the more reason you take things local.

Reference: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/supreme-court-s-e-p-a-ruling-shifts-more-power-away-from-congress/ar-AAZ7iOq
  • jgill
    Which means the climate-denying, election fraud-believing, Trump-worshipping, spineless corporate servants take back Congress —and nearly nothing gets done until 2024, when things could go even worseXtrix

Yes. J.P. Morgan analysts say there is the possibility of gas going up to $15 a gallon here in the US. Guess which party gets the most votes regardless of who are the candidates?
  • Mikie

Exactly. The pendulum swings towards whichever party isn’t in control, especially when gas prices are up.
  • Benkei
    when things could go even worse.Xtrix

will...

I've given up on politicians fixing anything. I'm now investing my energies in finding a plot of land in France big enough to sustain a family and considering getting a hunting license and learn to shoot at the shooting range.

Speaking of shooting, a couple of judges need murdering for aiding and abetting the killing of future generations.
  • Benkei
    Some books I'm getting hard covers of:

Start your farm

And

Self sufficiency
  • Mikie
    I'm now investing my energies in finding a plot of land in France big enough to sustain a family and considering getting a hunting license and learn to shoot at the shooting range.Benkei

But that will do little good, because the people in power — the wealthy, politicians — make decisions that affect us all, wherever we live. There’s no escaping the consequences anymore. Climate change reaches everywhere, even the most remote islands. Nuclear war, likewise.

I think the only solution is to fight back and at the very least steer the ship of state in a less deadly direction. At best perhaps overthrow the whole system. That can only happen by joining with others. Unions, organizations, mass solidarity movements, and so on.

At this point it’ll have to happen at the local level — and that’s where we have real power. Maybe the Right’s takeover of national government has forced us all to act locally. I’m hopeful.
  • Benkei
    At least pollution will be manageable where we're looking, so that will do just fine. Nuclear war, well, no use planning for that any way.

I'm not hopeful at all for society at large. I'm hopeful I can mitigate the fall out for my family.
  • Tate

Your best bet might be to move to the US and find a commune devoted to self sufficiency. Few are suited to living off grid alone. Plus that's a dangerous path and not appropriate for children.
  • Benkei
    Lol. I will never in a million years move to the US, the source of too many problems in modern times with one of the most corrupt governments to curse the western world.
  • Tate
    Lol. I will never in a million years move to the US, the source of too many problems in modern times with one of the most corrupt governments to curse the western world.Benkei

That's just where expertise in self sufficiency would be most easily and safely available to you. You can always move to Siberia instead. :rofl:
  • Benkei
    Or maybe don't have such a US-centric view of the world. The suggestion self-sufficiency expertise isn't available in rural France (of all places) is rather funny.
  • Tate
    Or maybe don't have such a US-centric view of the world. The suggestion self-sufficiency expertise isn't available in rural France (of all places) is rather funnyBenkei

That's what the Europeans who come here tell me, although they're mostly German, so maybe they don't know much about France. Good luck with your endeavors.
  • Mikie
    At least pollution will be manageable where we're looking, so that will do just fine.Benkei

What kind of pollution? I was talking about climate change. Greenhouse gases don’t stay within borders, as you know.

Honestly I think you and your family — for the next couple generations at least — will be fine anyway, regardless of going all Grizzly Adams. But that’s a personal choice. Sounds good to me.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment