• Moliere
    I believe philosophy begins in confusion.

Heidegger spoke of wonder... and perhaps that's where he began.

But for myself, I can trace back my philosophical path back to feeling confused and anxious about a world I did not know, or felt that others who said they knew didn't have it quite right.

And that theme hasn't been the only one, but a common one in my motivations for coming back to philosophy.

But that's just me.

I put this discussion in The Lounge because I want it to be more open to interpretation. Anything goes, mostly. (fascism, obviously, doesn't go round these parts)
  • 180 Proof
    Excerpt from a very old post:
    In ancient or Classical eras philosophy, it's said, began with / in wonder - that there is anything at all.

In this Modern era of the last half millennia, it seems to me, despair, not wonder, is the catalyst of philosophizing - despair that, despite the entirety of human knowledge, there isn't any (decideable, in/defeasible) Reason at all for any - let alone every - thing; to wit: Why is there no-Y-thing rather than some-X-thing? Apparently, 'this world' is The Most Arbitrary of All Possible Worlds à la the mediocrity principle (pace Leibniz).
    180 Proof
    This rambles on some more about (my?) despair ... :zip:
  • Moliere
    Heh. Yes, despair.

I had the thought this evening -- it also begins in anger. When things aren't right, but you can't articulate it -- philosophy begins in an anger that wants to understand itself.

Fanon (and on certain readings, Plato even!) come to mind here.
  • Moliere
    Though, I'll say just to give a little diversity here -- in the hopes that others will share where they began -- my first philosophical thoughts began in the old time religion. People said some stuff, but it wasn't quite like whatever else was up. And really to me, then, it was all the same: a child just learns from the people around them.

So, historically too -- philosophy begins in religion.
  • 180 Proof
    So, historically too -- philosophy begins in religion.Moliere
    Very much so. The so-called "Presocratics" like Thales and Pythagoras who attempt to replace 'mythic-religious stories' about the origins/purposes of nature and morals with 'rational reflections on observations' of natural processes and moral conduct. 'Logos sans mythos'. :fire:

Btw, philosophizing began for me in encounters with (raw) stupidity of other teens and adults, then authority figures and institutions, finally profound failures and missed opportunities I'd discovered throughout the histories I'd studied. Recognizing stupidity as endemic to the human condition was my initial existential crisis (i.e. despair) at 16/17 from which, over four decades later, I've still not recovered. :sweat:
  • jgill
    Recognizing stupidity as endemic to the human condition was my initial existential crisis180 Proof

Years ago a French mathematician I knew made the statement, "The one thing I cannot forgive is stupidity".

I disagreed. A stupid move by an intelligent person, yes. Innate stupidity, no.
  • Paine

I started with a number of religious influences but understood them mostly in terms of psychology. That is to say, it was a desire to understand my experience as my experience.

My first encounters with philosophical writings began the wonder of where this experience was happening. So, I think Aristotle is right about how natural it is to wonder about our circumstances.

What is 'natural' beyond that is difficult to comprehend. I want things I am ill equipped to provide.
  • Agent Smith
    philosophy begins in confusion.Moliere

my first philosophical thoughts began in the old time religion.Moliere

I started with a number of religious influencesPaine

I sense a pattern...

:chin:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist