• Skalidris
    Is there a concept (in philosophy, or in rhetoric maybe) that describes when someone speaks as if things were binary because of a simplification of language (but obviously knows they aren’t binary) and that the other points out how one extreme is impossible (although obvious)?

For example, the first person would be saying “you’re selfish” and the other would reply “but everyone is selfish”. The first person obviously means that the other is more selfish than average, or more selfish than they can tolerate (obviously has a scale in mind, not a black and white vision), and the other one ignores this nuance on purpose to be right about something. In other words, if white is totally selfless and black is totally selfish, the first person is saying “you’re dark”, and the other answers “but no one is white anyway”.

Or what skeptics just love to do when you say “how can you be sure about that?” and that they answer “but you can never be certain about anything”.

That would be practical if it had a name, given the number of times I want to point it out in people I talk to…
  • Jackson
    That would be practical if it had a name, given the number of times I want to point it out in people I talk to…Skalidris

Not sure what phenomenon you are referring to. Sounds like skepticism.
  • Skalidris

It's not really a phenomenon but a type of fallacy maybe? It's not just skepticism, because both persons could be skeptics, one is just using a simplification of language, which the other deliberately ignores to be right about something...

Or maybe there is name to describe people who refuse to see things as non binary?
  • Joshs
    Or maybe there is name to describe people who refuse to see things as non binary?Skalidris

Context insensitivity or context blindness? Or maybe literalism.
  • RussellA
    Possibly hyperbole - deliberate exaggeration.
  • Skalidris
    Possibly hyperbole - deliberate exaggerationRussellA

Yes, it's getting closer. The only problem I have is that saying "you're selfish" or "how can you be sure" isn't a deliberate exaggeration, they're actually very common statements, it's more of a simplification.

Context insensitivityJoshs

Context-insensitive expressions are governed by linguistic rules that determine their contents (semantic values), which remain invariant in all contexts of utterance.

Is that what you meant?
  • bongo fury
    Yes, it's getting closer.Skalidris

Everything's closer.
  • Skalidris
    Everything's closer.bongo fury

Everything is closer than everything? :sweat:
  • Joshs
    Context-insensitive expressions are governed by linguistic rules that determine their contents (semantic values), which remain invariant in all contexts of utterance.

Is that what you meant?
    Skalidris

I didn’t mean they were following a rule, only that they were choosing to ignore the specific contextual sense of the phrase in favor of a generic meaning.
  • Skalidris
    they were choosing to ignore the specific contextual sense of the phrase in favor of a generic meaningJoshs

Mmmm I don't know, it doesn't seem context related to me. I believe anyone (who likes questioning things) could say "you're selfish" and mean "you're more selfish than average" in any context. Actually I don't like the word selfish as it is, in its meaning it's already simplified as if it was black and white (" lacking consideration for other people; concerned chiefly with one's own personal profit or pleasure.") anyone tends to do that to some extend...
  • Moliere
    I'd call it "equivocation" -- because you both mean different things by "selfish"
  • DingoJones
    It is an equivocation fallacy, or a Suppressed correlative fallacy.
  • baker
    That would be practical if it had a name, given the number of times I want to point it out in people I talk to…Skalidris

That's bosiness.
  • Mww
    the first person would be saying “you’re selfish” and the other would reply “but everyone is selfish”.Skalidris

The second person commits a hasty generalization fallacy, secundum quid, commonly called “converse accident”, in making a overly broad conclusion given a sample that fails to warrant it.

More syllogistic than propositional, but....close enough?
  • Heracloitus
    Anti-difference-of-degree-ism
  • Joshs
    they were choosing to ignore the specific contextual sense of the phrase in favor of a generic meaning
    — Joshs

Mmmm I don't know, it doesn't seem context related to me. I believe anyone (who likes questioning things) could say "you're selfish" and mean "you're more selfish than average" in any context.
    Skalidris

That IS the context of the utterance. When one means ‘you’re more selfish than average’, they have a specific contextual reason for making that statement at that time to that person. There is some currently relevant issue that prompts the insult.
  • bongo fury
    Anti-difference-of-degree-ismemancipate

Or anti-binary-ism. The implication being, usually, that everything is relative. E.g.

“but everyone is selfish”.Skalidris

meaning "well obviously, but how selfish?".

Edit: Although, by "selfish" Skalidris already meant "too selfish", which is why they are probably right that "but everyone is selfish" is annoying.
  • Skalidris
    I'd call it "equivocation" -- because you both mean different things by "selfish"Moliere

Yes, thanks, I guess this would include what I'm talking about, although equivocation is not specific to the binary vs non binary problem caused by simplification of language.

Suppressed correlative fallacy.DingoJones

Ah that's much better, thanks! I'm going to be greedy but there is still something that's different from what I meant. From my understanding, in the suppressed correlative, one kills the meaning of a word by making two categories into one. Like saying "this product is not natural", and the other person would be like "nature is everything that surrounds us, including us and what we do to nature, so everything is natural". That makes the adjective natural completely useless. But what I meant is really about the non binary nature of things. What I mean is more about the debate "this product is more natural than that product" (who could be phrased as "this is natural and that's not" as simplification) and the other saying "but a product that's 100% natural is impossible because we manufacture it anyway". They don't destroy the meaning of natural but they fail to see it on a scale. So it's not X or not X in the first place but like aX with "a" ranging from 0 to 1, and the other person would see it as X or not X and use proofs that X is not possible if your position is 0.9X. In my example, actually they both agree that 1X is impossible, but the person who can only see it as X or not X doesn't understand the 0.9X (or doesn't want to); Do you know what I mean? Did I understand the meaning of suppressed correlative fallacy correctly?

That's bosinessbaker

You mean bossiness?

Anti-difference-of-degree-ismemancipate

Did you just make that up?

they have a specific contextual reason for making that statement at that time to that personJoshs

Oh okay, that works too, but not in all cases. It would be like a deliberate change of context, if one is trying to insult and the other goes all philosophical about the nature of selfishness in humans. But if you're arguing about whether sciences are more "objective" than human sciences, and that the person says that nothing can be objective anyway, it's still the same context, it's an epistemological context in both cases.
  • Joshs
    But if you're arguing about whether sciences are more "objective" than human sciences, and that the person says that nothing can be objective anyway, it's still the same context, it's an epistemological context in both cases.Skalidris

Immediate contexts can never be ‘epistemological’ because the latter refers to general categories of meaning, while the former involves the actual subjective and intersubjectively established sense of a generally defined meaning. In other words, the same epistemologically defined meaning can have a potentially unlimited number of senses, depending on the context of its use.
  • Tom Storm
    Or maybe there is name to describe people who refuse to see things as non binary?Skalidris

Generally I hear this called the problem of dualistic thinking.
  • RussellA
    Is there a conceptSkalidris

Perhaps two concepts: polarised and nuanced arguments.
  • hypericin
    anyone tends to do that to some extend...Skalidris

Now you're doing it
  • baker
    Bossiness. The craving to get the upper hand.
  • hypericin
    It's interesting in that it is binary logic framed as an appeal to non binary logic: everyone is selfish to a degree, therefore everyone is either selfish or perfectly unselfish.
  • MAYAEL
    All or nothing fallacy maybe?
  • Agent Smith
    Well, I don't think it's a fallacy as such but looks like it's got a whole lot to do with the mathematics of continuua. For example, we can do away with the binary concepts of hot vs. cold by simply using a basic heat scale (I'd recommend Kelvin) and so cold is simply a temperature range of "heat" content. The same goes for good and bad and any other pair of opposites - we can get rid of both by inventing a concept or using one of 'em (as in the heat example above) and developing a scale for it. For instance, Good can then be least bad or bad can be least good...you get the idea, oui monsieur?

The Chinese taijitu or yin-yang kinda captures the idea to the extent possible with a diagram.

There are gods, 0 gods! :snicker:
  • Bylaw
    False dilemma. False dichotomy. Fallacy of the Excluded Middle
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dilemma
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.