• ssu
    Excellent documentary! The obvious philosophical problem is that the simple AI hasn't actual artificial intelligence, cannot understand the context of the question.

And of course, modern states understand the propaganda value of either search engines or AI systems. They surely will want to control what is given to us as AI, because they can sit down and have a chat with the actual human beings who own and operate the AI system.
  • Pantagruel
    Company CEO's and organization leaders have a "revolutionary" idea: Let's replace ALL customer service with AI. The cost benefits are amazing!ssu

Customer service - particularly technical support - is already in the shitter. Does it really matter if it drops out of the toilet bowl into the sewer?
  • ssu
    Customer service - particularly technical support - is already in the shitter. Does it really matter if it drops out of the toilet bowl into the sewer?Pantagruel
    Think about it when it's your money, debts, financial investments, something quite important to you. Imagine your bank has no people that you can talk to.

I don't mind the grocery store being run by a computer. Even if the interactions there are easily handled by AI and robots, I simply wouldn't go and buy all my stuff from a service that doesn't have any people. I guess I assume I will be rich enough to decide that. But with larger issues, it sucks.

Or let's say would you be OK with a judicial system which would be totally run by smart AI, perhaps the first humans working on secondary courts / in appeals?
  • Pantagruel
    Think about it when it's your money, debts, financial investments, something quite important to you. Imagine your bank has no people that you can talk to.ssu

Which is the reality. Which is why I now do my most important banking where there is decent brick and mortar access.
  • ssu
    Which is why I now do my most important banking where there is decent brick and mortar access.Pantagruel
    And you and me likely aren't alone. Which I think puts this to a more correct perspective: everything that theoretically could be replaced by AI, won't be replaced by AI and robots.
  • Pantagruel
    I think the sad thing is that we are contentedly cultivating a culture of mediocrity. We just had a $60 lunch, no drinks. It was, meh, at best, if you ignored the fact that coleslaw was inedible. Lenovo refuses to assist with anything software related on their own brand new laptops, even thought it is their bundled software which breaks Windows, and which you can't remove without also breaking Windows. Unless I pay extra for 'software support.' Which I won't do, because I'm certain whoever does that knows absolutely nothing anyway, and I'm better off just fixing it myself (which I did). AI in general doesn't do a great job, it does a mediocre job. AI generated content is obvious. It may get the message across, it doesn't do it well, and it definitely doesn't do it with style. For the most part, the first word that leaps to mind in my day-to-day interactions with Alexa is...frustrating.

So if AI is destined to take over the world, it's only because human beings have become so apathetic that they no longer give a shit that it's doing such a mediocre job. Maybe some of them aren't even aware that things can be anything but mediocre. Ever see the movie "Idiocracy"? That's the future.
  • javi2541997
    Interesting.

I simply see ChatGPT as a normal program that produces "statistically plausible" answers. Yet, it seems that some people demand so much from it, like "understanding the reality."
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.