• god must be atheist
    Hmm, interesting. If it's true, then it may merely be because most people are religious (to some degree) and also that most people are quite stupid when compared with the very intelligent. We could note that heterosexuals are not necessarily two-legged, but most two-legged people are heterosexuals. That example brings out the lack of logical connection. The statement is true merely because most people have two legs and also most people are heterosexual.
    3 hours ago
    Cuthbert

The statement you analyzed is not based on logic, it is based on evidence. There may be theories explaining it.

Finding it illogical is illogical, when the evidence is clear. You are saying "The statement can't be true because logic does not support it." If you think of it, logic also does not support heterosexuals are not necessarily two-legged, but most two-legged people are heterosexuals. You drew a VERY GOOD analytical connection: you equated one illogical statement with another illogical statement. However, uttering illogical statements to disprove an empirical finding is itself illogical.
  • Cuthbert
    You are saying "The statement can't be true because logic does not support it."god must be atheist

On the contrary, the statement is (as far as I know) true, just as it is written. Religious people are not necessarily stupid - but most stupid people are religious. This may well be a true empirical finding.

However, this observation alone - although true (let's grant, for sake of argument) - may not entail any interesting correlation between stupidity and religiosity.

The lack of correlation is shown by the parallel example of heterosexuality and two-leggedness. Again, empirically, we can see that most two-legged people are heterosexual. This is quite probably a true statement. But there is no interesting correlation between having two legs and being het.
  • god must be atheist
    may not entail any interesting correlation between stupidity and religiosity.Cuthbert

You're right about that. My point alone is that it is the status quo. That's where my point ends. I admit WE DON'T KNOW if this is a caused statistic, or a random one.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.