• Metaphysician Undercover
    Democracy is a form of government, not an overall mindset of the populace, which is what we're talking about--culture.SleepingAwake

I think the form of government plays a large role in the overall mindset of the populace. In the west, democracy is seen as the best form of government. This fuels a belief in the superiority of democratic societies over non-democratic societies. That belief in the superiority of the form of government is held by the individuals, and cannot be prevented from filtering down, and manifesting itself as a belief in the superiority of the individuals themselves, of that society. So despite the fact that democracy holds the equality of individuals as a high principle, we tend not to include those outside of democratic societies within this equality, in our "mind set", as we see them as having a lower form of government and therefore inferior to us.
  • SleepingAwake
    In the west, democracy is seen as the best form of government.Metaphysician Undercover
    I don't really know about that... maybe a good decision strategy, but as we've seen lately, our democrats apparently don't understand the meaning of "demos-kratia," or they simply choose to ignore it altogether, in favor of politically correct, passive-aggressive facism in the guise of "social progress." I've long held that the government should be subservient to its people, rather than a selectively hive-minded regime that shits on common people for perceived "hate crimes," like some Orwellian dictatorship, as though being a government official makes them any better than us.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.