• Tate
    I support women; but that requires hard work, trained police officers, rape crisis centers, women's refuges and so on and on. It's not solved by a hashtagkarl stone

I agree.
  • Tate

I don't think Amber Heard was conducting a covert attack on Western Civilization, no.

Metoo is about allocating power to those who've been powerless. Where power is being passed out, there are those who will take it and misuse it.
  • Tate
    Then what did you agree with?karl stone

That you support women's rights. It is clear that you do.
  • Tate
    I feel like I deserve a badge or something!karl stone

It's not that big a deal. Most people do support women's rights (in the West, anyway).
  • Tate
    The actual subject of this thread is a big deal; and if you'd make the least little effort to try understand what that is, or alternatively leave me alone, I'd be most grateful!karl stone

Of course it is. Women's rights is a very important topic.
  • Joshs

I remain to be convinced that "an enormous constellation of perceptual, gestural and vocal features that could not possibly have been simply learned" explains... ostentatious gayness - for want of a better term. I think that is learned behaviour.karl stone

Would you say that the pre-wired brain underpinnings of masculine vs feminine behavior in mammals comprises a large constellation of perceptual and behavior traits, such as aggressiveness , sociality, shyness, etc ( and for humans I would add to this ways of walking, posture , speech patterns, attentional predispositions, and many other details)? Have you talked to gay men about when they knew they were different from other males ( not just in terms of their sexual preference). Many will say that from their earliest memories they acted more effeminately than their male peers, even though they did not desire to act that way. Where does a 5 year old boy “learn” to act that way? Where do the most effeminate learn a lisp, a limp wrist, walking like a girl , a desire to play with dolls rather than with toy soldiers, even when they are not consciously trying to act this way, and even when they despise being different and want to be able to act like other boys? You really think this is all learned? You really think that what you call an evolutionary trait controls nothing but who we want to go to bed with? You can’t conceive that this evolutionary trait for gayness controls
    the same brain wiring that results in the strikingly different behaviors of male and female mammals?

quote="karl stone;707150"]What if I am wrong? So what? I've thought about it, and formed an honest opinion. It's not an opinion that's grounded in unreasoning hate. If you present convincing evidence to the contrary, I'll happily reconsider my views. In that case, my wrongness would be useful to the discovery of truth.[/quote]

No, not unreasoning hate , but an ignorance of the global way in which pre-wired brain gender colors every aspect of behavior in a subtle way. This lack of recognition of such an important aspect of personality cannot help but color your view of transgenders. If you think that all there is to gender is who we
    like to fuck you are totally missing the essence of who not only transgenders are, but who YOU are as a straight man. if I waived a magic wand and changed your brain wiring in the direction of effeminate gayness , you would be astonished at how much your style
    of comportment toward the world would have changed. You might keep that in mind next time you hear someone say they were born in the wrong body. For the record , I dont think ones body can ever actually be ‘out of tune with their gender’, because body and behavior define each other inseparably What I hear them saying to the world is that others , like you, don’t get the fact that their gender-based global perceptual style is not that of their apparent biological sex. It’s not really their bodies they are out of tune with, it is a society that doesn’t see them as who they are. Transgender can’t exist for you , and most of what gayness is, since the only thing you think evolution codes for is who we fuck.

People need to be seen for who they are, and your suggestion that you , or any straight male , could potentially ‘learn’ to act and feel just as effeminate as some gay men is like telling a women you could ‘learn’ to act and feel the way they do as a female gendered person .
  • Tate
    Finally learned enough to understand why the UK judicial system failed in this case.

1234Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.