• Jackson
    Something, but not a lot. I never understood why people think art is about beauty.
  • Tate
    What do you think it's about?
  • Jackson
    Meaning. Depends on the artform. Painting is about pictures and images.
  • Tate

I think it's about creation.
  • Jackson
    I think it's about creation.Tate

Creation of what?
  • Tate
    Creation of what?Jackson

The act of creation goes on until it reaches a stopping point. Sometimes that stopping point is arbitrary. We could go on, but we don't. Sometimes we're surprised by the way things turned out.

The question, "creation of what?" could be asking why you stop at a certain point. How do you know when to stop? How would you answer that?
  • Jackson
    The question, "creation of what?" could be asking why you stop at a certain point. How do you know when to stop? How would you answer that?Tate

I have an idea of what a painting should look like before i start.
  • Tate
    have an idea of what a painting should look like before i start.Jackson

Where does that idea come from?

Do some digital art. You can save iterations along the way.
  • Jackson
    Where does that idea come from?Tate

Comes from my sense of the world and how I think the world looks.
  • Jackson
    Do some digital art. You can save iterations along the way.Tate

I don't know what this means.
  • Deletedmemberzc
    I don't know what this means.Jackson

I shifted from painting to digital art a couple of years ago.

What that means: You can save your work as file1, then continue to work, save again as file2, then continue to work, save again as file3, etc. Then, if you decide you hate file3 you can reload file1 or file2. In contrast to painting, this gives you the odd power to retrace your steps, re-envision your work, go back to a variety of drawing boards.
  • Jackson
    What that means: You can save your work as file1, then continue to work, save again as file2, then continue to work, save again as file3, etc. Then, if you decide you hate file3 you can reload file1 or file2. In contrast to painting, this gives you the odd power to retrace your steps, re-envision your work, go back to a variety drawing boards.ZzzoneiroCosm

Oh, that's what sketches are for. I never lost my work.
  • Deletedmemberzc
    Oh, that's what sketches are for. I never lost my work.Jackson

For folks who love to make visual art but lack the painter's touch and technique, it's a godsend.
  • Jackson
    For folks who love to make visual art but lack the painter's touch and technique, it's a godsend.ZzzoneiroCosm

Okay.
  • Deletedmemberzc

VR sculpting is a blast as well. With the same freedom to reiterate.
  • Deletedmemberzc

Also, if you're struggling with your next step in a painting, you can take a pic of the painting with your phone, bring the pic into a digital art application and experiment there to determine how best to proceed.
  • T Clark
    I never understood why people think art is about beauty.Jackson

For me, mostly a non-artist, art is about the experience it gives me. It means nothing more than that. I have written a few poems I think are good. They all express a specific experience. When I read them again, it reexperience it. I wrote them for myself, they mostly wrote themselves. I've shown some of them to good friends, but they weren't written for others. If they had been, it would have been to try to give those who read them the experience I had. I see art as trying to record an experience, either for the artist or for the artist and others.

What does that have to do with beauty? The process of receiving an experience from another person is beautiful in itself. Exhilarating. The way the artists expresses the experience, the technique, can also be beautiful. And, of course, the experience can be beautiful.
  • Jackson
    I see art as trying to record an experience,T Clark

Yes, agree with that.
  • javra

Beauty can be a misleading word. It often connotes prettiness at the expense of numerous other attributes. At any rate, though what is beautiful is always aesthetic, what is aesthetic is not always beautiful. An aesthetic looking - i.e., handsome - man is not deemed beautiful by the typical woman, nor by the typical man for that matter. The grotesque, the morbid, and the horrid can be quite aesthetic for many (e.g., Salvador Dali as one well known example who often explores the grotesque), but rarely if ever can these attributes be deemed to depict beauty.

I’m currently no more inclined to try to define “the aesthetic” than I am to define either “beauty” or “art”. Doubt that I could. But, notwithstanding, my sense is that for art to in any way captivate an audience or even the artist him/herself it will need to be found aesthetic by the same - even if it is deemed ugly (e.g., some of Goya’s later works - I at least find them ugly but very aesthetic), nonsensical (e.g., many a Dadaist’s), or so forth. Otherwise, it wouldn’t be deemed of worth to the beholder.

So, from this I conclude that for art to be effective it needs to be aesthetic - though not necessarily beautiful.
  • Agent Smith
    1. All beautiful things are art (say the heart).
    2. Not all art are beautiful things (says the mind).

Xin (heart-mind).

The conflation between art and beauty is (almost) a given; nothing to see here, move along, move along!
  • Noble Dust
    I’m currently no more inclined to try to define “the aesthetic” than I am to define either “beauty” or “art”.javra

:ok:

Ultimately, beauty and meaning are the same thing.
  • Jackson
    1. All beautiful things are art (say the heart).Agent Smith

No; whatever "heart" is.
  • Varde
    Precision and good wit may result in beautiful art! A man with a good stroke may have a greater advantage in this department than a man with a common stroke(stroke is a reference to ones gesture with a tool).

I don't understand the idea that beauty is only subjective, beauty can be judged.

You can say that X person is more professionally created than Y person. You can say X art is greater than Y art, but you can't say it's not art to either. Is X artist more precise and wittier in his painting than Y artist? Is the human eye he drew more humane than hers?
  • Jackson
    beauty and meaning are the same thing.Noble Dust

A beautiful sunset is meaningful. But the next day an okay sunset has no meaning? Please explain.
  • Tate

All sunsets are beautiful.

"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,
    That is all ye know on earth,
    and all ye need to know."
    -Keats
  • Jackson
    All sunsets are beautiful.

"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,
    That is all ye know on earth,
    and all ye need to know."
    -Keats
    Tate

I do not agree.
  • Tate

To each his own.
  • Jackson
    To each his own.Tate

Not really. Opining is not an argument.
  • Tate
    Not really. Opining is not an argument.Jackson

Some things need no argument. They're self evident.
  • Jackson
    Some things need no argument. They're self evident.Tate

If I do not agree it is not self evident. But, seriously, if you don't want a discussion it's fine.
  • Tate
    If I do not agree it is not self evident.Jackson

What isn't?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.