• The outlaw Josey Wales
    If hydrogen and helium are what the world is mostly made of I think perhaps the Big Bang was like a balloon. The two elements expanded slowly until like a egg or a balloon it reached its limit and exploded. We may be a snow globe or infinite in expansion.

If this thought has been thought of my apologies but it seems everyone wants to know what came first the chicken or the egg and of course the egg evolved to create a protective shield like the universe did until it hatched.
  • TimeLine
    This is the cutest post I have ever seen. You kind of remind me of...

giphy.gif

I guess what you are trying to get at is perhaps discussing what happened prior to the big bang, the conditions that enabled the arrow of time and the universe as we experience and there are a number of cosmological theories. I am fond of Alan Guth' multiverse theory of inflation and to try and briefly explain it, it is the idea that the universe is infinitely expanding because the density of the gravitational field remains at a constant. This stretching is called 'repulsive gravity' namely that there is a negative pressure that pushes against a positive three-dimensional field though the energy is almost at 0, working in uniformity to subsequently push exponential expansion far greater than its capacity for decay; during the process of decay in certain region, conditions like that of the big bang form pockets of new universes, thus making our universe one of multiple universes in an eternal stretch of fields.

77755.jpg
  • oranssi
    In relation to the big bang, everything is possible. I would say every hipotesis is correct, because the singularity is a mathematicaly impossibility. So the tool to perceive the universe we call reason, has no place here. So let us fantasize awayyyyyyy....
  • 0 thru 9
    ...what came first the chicken or the egg and of course the egg evolved...The outlaw Josey Wales
    Chicken or the egg? Neither. It was the fish! :D
  • Thinker
    I would say every hipotesis is correct, because the singularity is a mathematicaly impossibility.oranssi

The idea of a singularity is absurd. That everything, essentially, came from nothing – defies all logic. I would like to hear why it is mathematically impossible?
  • oranssi
    I'm not an Astrophysic or theoretical physic, but from what I understand, the laws of physics we know nowadays don't apply in the initial singularity of the bigbang. Applying the quantum mechanics knowledge and unifying it to the general relativity gives an equation with an impossible result, like 0=infinite. I saw it in a Michiu Kaku documentary that I tried but cannot find.

Also, why do we expect that logic can explain everything? I see logic just as another instrument to perceive the things around us. Might be other mechanisms that Nature might evolve in 100 million years to perceive the Universe. Who Knows?
  • noAxioms
    The idea of a singularity is absurd. That everything, essentially, came from nothing – defies all logic. I would like to hear why it is mathematically impossible?Thinker
    The idea of a singularity says no such thing. It is simply a point where the mathematics no longer yields a meaningful result. The tangent function for instance has regular singularities. That is not a statement that something is coming from nothing.
  • Thinker
    The idea of a singularity says no such thing.noAxioms

Is a singularity a infinite density and temperature at a finite time in the past?
  • noAxioms
    Is a singularity a infinite density and temperature at a finite time in the past?Thinker
    No, A singularity is a point where equations do not yield meaningful results. The singularity is a reference to the physical one of which you speak, and no, density and temperature are effectively meaningless at that point. There is no temperature without space to define motion. There is no meaningful density without nonzero mass and the universe has a net total mass/energy of zero. It is only at other points where there is variance and velocity that these measurements become meaningful.

My knowledge of inflation theory is limited. I do not know if there is meaningful classic distance and temperature during the inflation period, or if our inflation bubble is posited to initially be a dimensionless point. Most classic physical measurements do not have meaning during that first picosecond or so any more than they do beyond the event horizon of a black hole (another singularity).
  • Thinker
    Most classic physical measurements do not have meaning during that first picosecond or so any more than they do beyond the event horizon of a black hole (another singularity).noAxioms

We have no idea a black hole is a singularity. Maybe it is a big drain hole into another universe? To say a black hole at its core is infinitely dense and hot is weak speculation at best. To suggest that infinite density and temperature ever existed (anywhere or time) is speculation as well. The drain hole sounds more plausible than infinitely dense.
  • noAxioms
    We have no idea a black hole is a singularity. Maybe it is a big drain hole into another universe? To say a black hole at its core is infinitely dense and hot is weak speculation at best. To suggest that infinite density and temperature ever existed (anywhere or time) is speculation as well. The drain hole sounds more plausible than infinitely dense.Thinker
    Didn't say the center of it. I referred to the event horizon, a place where our classic rules of time and space do not work out to the usual values. Not sure if there are any infinities there, but the geometry rotates and time becomes negative and strange relations like that.
    Sure, there's another singularity at the center, but that one really stretches the typical definitions of existence and again, doesn't seem to have a meaningful value that can be interpreted as temperature.
  • Thinker
    Sure, there's another singularity at the center, but that one really stretches the typical definitions of existence and again, doesn't seem to have a meaningful value that can be interpreted as temperature.noAxioms

Ok - you have been there, so I will take your word for it.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.