• Varde
    Confidence is a intellectual spasm. We find ourselves betwixt two spasms, the first being internal impulse(ref. One's humanity) and the second being confidence.

I begin to act, and as I do, I am set on a scale of confidence.

1. I begin to act.
    1.5. &
    2. Scale of confidence.

Initiating an act requires a spasm, that is more renown as the internal impulse.

If you carefully examine what happens to start an act, you'll see something similar to a spasm occuring - afterward it depends on intellect whether you double-spasm known as one having confidence.

Is confidence an intellectual double spasm initiated with human impulse? I definitely report that it is a two stage process((a. You take a first step.)b. You are confident in measure).
  • chiknsld
    Initiating an act requires a spasm, that is more renown as the internal impulse.

If you carefully examine what happens to start an act, you'll see something similar to a spasm occuring...
    Varde

Hmm, well in order to do anything even move your arm for instance, right beforehand your brain will release a tiny amount of dopamine in order to initiate the movement. So this is chemical interaction, more specifically a neurotransmitter mediating the movement.

I would say that an impulse, though vague in the context you are prescribing, generally defines involuntary action, contrary to current biology findings which would show that any intentional movement that is carried out is pre-determined by the brain via the release of dopamine.

...afterward it depends on intellect whether you double-spasm known as one having confidence.Varde

Confidence is ultimately psychological, but I'm sure there are some mental activities you can do which would strengthen it and then possibly it could become more "intellectual" as you say. But ultimately I think confidence usually comes from internal belief in what you can achieve based solely on past experience of being successful.

For instance, if when you were a baby and your parents encouraged and celebrated you taking your first steps vs. a child who did not receive constant support and nourishment. You will probably find many psychology studies showing that your upbringing greatly shapes your confidence (and of course your experience of being successful). Also having a strong grasp of what you are doing naturally allows one to feel confident as cognitive dissonance will always immediately result in "bewilderment" and it would probably be very difficult to somehow shift that into an affirmative feeling of confidence.

I suppose then we can say that confidence is the combination of positive past experience (reinforcement) with its accompanying ability to foresee a successful outcome, and secondly a lack of disillusion (cognitive dissonance) which would be debilitating to the aforementioned action.

All of this would of course require some modicum of intelligence, but that is neither here nor there.

I would not see the initial "impulse" itself as a cascading process leading up to and including confidence. Ultimately one is biological and the other is psychological development.

On the other hand, not to go on a tangent, but there may be more "shallow" forms of confidence where people practice little tricks, for instance, to help men approach women when asking them out on a date, or to give a speech in front of an audience. I suppose you would have to choose whether you are talking about an innate and natural confidence or one that is superficial and prone to variability.
  • Agent Smith
    spasm — Varde

You're all out of ideas, huh? :snicker:
  • Varde
    not all spasms are retardation if you implied.

Spasms are real brainy things.
  • Agent Smith
    not all spasms are retardation if you implied.

Spasms are real brainy things.
    — Varde

:snicker: It makes sense to you don't it?!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.