• Daniel
    What does this statement makes you think?

If two objects are physical, by which I mean they occupy a space (any space) and are of finite extension - that is, neither object occupies all of the space in which they exist -, then all of their interactions* are physical (any interaction itself occupies a space, and the interaction is limited in its extension through it); that is, both the objects and their interactions have a limited distribution throughout space.

Interaction: any effect in the objects or their spatial distribution that would not occur in the absence of the other object, and the means through which such effects are produced.

If two objects are physical, then all of their interactions are physical.
    If two objects occupy a (shared?) space and are of finite extension, then every one of their interactions occupies a space and is of finite extension.
  • Joshs
    If two objects occupy a (shared?) space and are of finite extension, then every one of their interactions occupies a space and is of finite extension.Daniel

Do objects occupy space or do they create it? Is extension a pre-assigned property of an object or is it a qualitative change? ( Courtesy of Gilles Deleuze)
  • Jackson
    Do objects occupy space or do they create it?Joshs

Space is just things, for Leibniz.
  • Joshs
    Space is just things, for Leibniz.Jackson

Wish I read more Leibnitz. Deleuze relies on him
    heavily ( and Bergson).
  • Jackson
    Wish I read more Leibnitz.Joshs

Leibniz was the first critic of mechanistic science. He tore into Newton for saying there is absolute time and space.
  • Daniel
    Do objects occupy space or do they create it?Joshs

Man, this is one of those almost impossible questions. Sometimes I like to think everything is space, and the rest is just differences in space just to kind of escape from having to deal with it. Have you ever tried to define a particular entity (object) without referring to space?....... or vice versa?
  • Jackson
    Wish I read more LeibnitzJoshs

Leibniz: "I hold space to be something merely relative, as time is, that I hold it to be an order of coexistences, as time is an order of successions. (Third Paper, paragraph 4; G VII.363/Alexander 25–26)

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/leibniz-physics/
  • Daniel
    that I hold it to be an order of coexistencesJackson

Always changing then?
  • Jackson
    Always changing then?Daniel

Yes. Since time and space are not absolutes only relations exist.
  • Hillary
    Objects are space. Filled with physical charges.
  • Hillary
    Yes. Since time and space are not absolutes only relations exist.Jackson

Space and time are absolutely existing. Their metric is relative though. The spacetime I measure is different from the spacetime a moving observer measures.
  • Relativist
    If two objects are physical, by which I mean they occupy a space (any space) and are of finite extension - that is, neither object occupies all of the space in which they existDaniel
    According to Quantum Field Theory, every quantum field exists at every point of space. Particles are quanta of these fields, so (per the theory) these fields are the fundamental basis for all matter.

Quantum fields don't fit your definition of "physical", and I think that's a problem.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.