• creativesoul
    This confuses me. Prelinguistic ideas exist without language. They negate Rorty, who assumes these ideas are language dependent. So no problem for Rorty...Hillary

Negation by contradicting reality is a big problem for Rorty(and anyone else for that matter). I would venture to guess that Rorty denies prelinguistic belief altogether, on pains of coherency alone, but I could be wrong.

Can't creation myths be understood without language?Hillary

Not according to my understanding of human thought and belief.
  • Agent Smith
    Yes, I think all truths are conditional. — Jackson

In objectivity, because of dissimilar axioms.

In subjectivity, because of dissimilar biases.
  • Tate

Plato would say that absolute and relative are two sides of the same coin.
  • Angelo Cannata

I don't think so: to my understanding, for Plato the world of ideas is the world of absolute things, while what is accessible to our senses is the world of relative, perishable, imperfect, deceitful things. How are they the same coin?
  • Agent Smith
    Truths, the way it seems to me, are basically maps (language + logic) and the objective is to get our hands on the best possible one, given the limitations of our tools, for the territory we're interested in. Our linguistic expressions, logically enhanced, must, in this sense, correspond to reality. That's all we can hope for and that's about all that's feasible.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.