• Paulm12
    I read that U.S. Department of Education reports indicate that philosophy is one of the least proportionate fields in the humanities with respect to gender, with some reports saying philosophy is more overwhelmingly male than mathematics.

Is this due to sexism, socialization, natural interests; or what do you think?

A philosophy book I bought at a local used bookstore as a coffee table piece made the argument that
    There is also some suspicion of the male love of precise logic and awe-inspiringly grand concepts, which sweep aside the subtleties of ordinary life
    and
    Two thousand years of thoroughly masculine philosophy have left their mark on the subject...and explicitly feminist philosophers are now engaged in deconstructing those ideas and theories
    and then ends with the (IMO Poorly written sentence)
    There seems to be no reason why philosophy in the near future should not become gender-blind
  • T Clark

This from the American Academy of Arts and Sciences:

Women received 61% of the humanities bachelor’s degrees awarded in 2015—four percentage points higher than the share among all degree recipients. From 1987 to 2015, the annual percentage of women earning bachelor’s degrees in the humanities remained within a range of four percentage points—from just above 58% (in 1995) to a high of slightly above 62% (in the early 2000s).

With 61% of the field’s degrees going to women, the humanities were most akin to the fine and performing arts (62%) in the representation of women among bachelor’s degree recipients in 2015. The health and medical sciences (with 84%), education (72%), and social sciences (63%) each had a greater share of women completing degrees in the field than the humanities, while engineering (19%) and business and management (47%) had substantially smaller shares.

About the same percentage of men and women in the US have college degrees. A much larger percentage of women than men are enrolled in college and a much larger percentage of women complete their degree.
  • jgill
    with some reports saying philosophy is more overwhelmingly male than mathematics.Paulm12

By 2010 about 30% of mathematics PhDs were women. I would guess that now there may be 35% or so. I'll bet there are far fewer in philosophy.

A look at Harvard's philosophy faculty, including affiliated and post-doctoral: 22.2% women. Tenured faculty: 28.5% women.

As for BA and MA degrees I don't know what sort of work they end up doing. Male or female.
  • Agent Smith
    Here's my attempt at a joke:

There are few women in philosophy, but (it's possible that) there's a lot of philosophy in women! :joke:

Also, we need to carry out a study on the ideas that are floating around in philosophy and categorize them according to gender/sex e.g. hard determinism comes off as masculine and soft determinism as feminine. Do memes have sex? :chin: To cut to the chase, we could be looking at a well-balanced sex/gender representation in philosophical ideas even if not among philosophers themselves.
  • Hillary
    There are few women in philosophy, but (it's possible that) there's a lot of philosophy in womenAgent Smith

:lol:

The biggest philosophical, mathematical, scientific, or religious riddle: my wife, being built the wrong way round... but the right way for me!

Philosophers get off on intelligence. It's this intelligence they use as an unconscious form of procreation urge. Like male birds trying to impress the female bird and fights his male compagnons to establish who's the stringest or fittests, so male philosophers do with intelligence. Females tend to watch and pick the most intelligent. They have no need to impress with intelligence. Beauty is more important. Luckily, I have both qualities!
  • Agent Smith
    Luckily, I have both qualities!Hillary

:snicker: Don't go telling everybody that!

I'm actually surprised by how Christianity is male-oriented: God, the Father, and "He", "Him". The omni-traits of God describe the perfect man, a Mr. Right (strong, intelligent and good).

Where's the equivalent role model for women, young impressionable girls? I've heard people compliment women saying "beauty & brains"; however these are very casual references to Ms. Right, nothing official/formal about them. That's odd, oui?
  • Hillary
    Where's the equivalent role model for women, young impressionable girls? I've heard people compliment women saying "beauty & brains"; however these are very casual references to Ms. Right, nothing official/formal about it. That's odd, oui?Agent Smith

I couldn't agree more, brother Agent. Ouioui. The image of the father god is certainly a male invention. Xenophanes didn’t like the variety of gods in the ancient Greek world. I'm sure he envied the statues of the perfect Greek gods. To be replaced by him!
  • Agent Smith
    The image of the father god is certainly a male invention.Hillary

I'm not sure. Why would men ever make it harder that it already is by presenting women with the image of a perfect mate without possessing the wherewithal to ever match up to it. It's sexual suicide if you ask me. God feels more the work of our women folk, no? :snicker:
  • Hillary
    God feels more the work of our women folk, no? :snicker:Agent Smith

Now I understand why my wife yells "Oh my God" every time we ....! Damned the cheater!
  • Hillary
    Why would men ever make it harder that it already is by presenting women with the image of a perfect mate without possessing the wherewithal to ever match up to it. It's sexual suicide if you ask meAgent Smith

This is a new angle indeed! Ha! Who knows, the ancient churchfathers were inspired by the wife. Putting forth the image of god as they wanted. But why didn't god send his daughter Christa?
  • I like sushi
    I’d be inclined to say the greatest factor is probably interest. Women, in general, are just not that interested in more abstract realms as much as men. Women tend to go for caring jobs or jobs that involve more social interactions.

The question of why there are more women in mathematics than philosophy may be more or less due to there being concerted efforts to encourage women into mathematics and no effort has been made for philosophy (as it is not exactly as highly regarded as mathematics in the public eye).
  • Hillary

10 June I offer a reply on the assumptions made about women.
  • Agent Smith
    But why didn't god send his daughter Christa? — Hillary

Good query. I would prefer Chrstina for a name of god's daughter. Since Christianity is, all things considered, based on human sacrifice, I'd say it's rather curious that a virgin girl wasn't involved. I thought that was the usual deal. :chin:
  • Agent Smith
    Now I understand why my wife yells "Oh my God" every time we ....! Damned the cheater!Hillary

I come in the name of the Lord! :snicker:

Just speculating, I wouldn't know.
  • Paulm12

Yeah thats what I think as well. Whether it’s natural interest or some combination of that and social conditioning it’s unsure. But also like you said there isn’t as much of a push to get women in philosophy because it doesn’t often fit the country’s/national governments “STEM” agenda.

Most of the Christians I’ve talked to recently have pointed out that living in a patriarchal society, it would make sense why God would be referred to as a “He”, being all strong, all powerful, etc. But Christianity also emphasizes the “feminine” characteristics of God too, namely being all loving, creating children.
  • jgill
    The question of why there are more women in mathematics than philosophy may be more or less due to there being concerted efforts to encourage women into mathematics and no effort has been made for philosophy (as it is not exactly as highly regarded as mathematics in the public eye).I like sushi

:ok:
  • Hillary
    The question of why there are more women in mathematics than philosophy may be more or less due to there being concerted efforts to encourage women into mathematics and no effort has been made for philosophy (as it is not exactly as highly regarded as mathematics in the public eye).I like sushi

Which applies to men as well.
  • Hillary
    come in the name of the Lord! :snicker:Agent Smith

:lol:

A second coming!
  • jgill
    The question of why there are more women in mathematics than philosophy may be more or less due to there being concerted efforts to encourage women into mathematics and no effort has been made for philosophy (as it is not exactly as highly regarded as mathematics in the public eye). — I like sushi

Which applies to men as well.
    Hillary

Not really. The efforts are to get more women/people of color into mathematics. Already too many white guys.
  • Hillary

Yes. But insofar philosophy is concerned both men and women are disencouraged. Because math is, for some strange reason, regarded higher. Probably career opportunity plays a role.
  • jgill
    Because math is, for some strange reason, regarded higher.Hillary

:up: :cool:
  • Hillary

Im sure if efforts were made to get more women to study philosophy, it would be waisted toil.
  • chiknsld
    I read that U.S. Department of Education reports indicate that philosophy is one of the least proportionate fields in the humanities with respect to gender, with some reports saying philosophy is more overwhelmingly male than mathematics.

Is this due to sexism, socialization, natural interests; or what do you think?

A philosophy book I bought at a local used bookstore as a coffee table piece made the argument that
    There is also some suspicion of the male love of precise logic and awe-inspiringly grand concepts, which sweep aside the subtleties of ordinary life
    and
    Two thousand years of thoroughly masculine philosophy have left their mark on the subject...and explicitly feminist philosophers are now engaged in deconstructing those ideas and theories
    and then ends with the (IMO Poorly written sentence)
    There seems to be no reason why philosophy in the near future should not become gender-blind
    Paulm12

Shhhh, gender differences don't exist. :snicker: Bro do you ever try to talk to women about philosophy? Just be happy that at least there are "people" interested in philosophy.
  • Agent Smith
    A second coming! — Hillary

:snicker: This time, Jesus is gonna get shot/electrocuted/poisoned/hung/what else? (preferred, allegedly humane forms of execution) instead of crucified. Torture is no longer an option; there are international laws against, get this, cruel and unusual punishment!
  • Agent Smith
    Most of the Christians I’ve talked to recently have pointed out that living in a patriarchal society, it would make sense why God would be referred to as a “He”, being all strong, all powerful, etc. But Christianity also emphasizes the “feminine” characteristics of God too, namely being all loving, creating children.Paulm12

I thought love and hate were, well, unisex! You do have a point though, love fosters receptiveness [willingness to "accommodate" someone else's views], not always though (jealous lover, Othello?).
  • Hillary
    I thought love and hate were, well, unisex!Agent Smith

God was a bisexual in transgression to being the opposite sex. It gets complicated. Bet then again, God is

:snicker:

We will give him the right to end his life himself. If not, we'll just shoot him slowly.

Btw, your quote function is offline? Or are you on phone, like me?
  • Hillary
    preferred, allegedly humane forms of executionAgent Smith

Like that triple injection? Jesus (speaking of which)! What's so humane about that. Seems even worse than an electric chair. You see them tubes delivering their load. You fight against it. You watch the (mostly) guys standing around you, who look at you without expression or compassion. And you're not sure what comes when you closed your eyes the last time.
  • Agent Smith
    shoot him slowly — Hillary

:snicker:
  • Tate
    "Is this due to sexism, socialization, natural interests; or what do you think?"

What is a philosophy degree good for? Maybe the answer lies down that path?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment