• M777
    Have listened to Dawkins rant that science can give an answer to how the mountains were formed, but asking why have they formed is a silly question.

Am I the only one to understand that the "why?" question is invalid only when looking at it through a scientific framework. So it is not that the question is silly, rather the framework is inappropriate.

Like trying to import a text file with a beautiful poem into a script as an integer. The script will give you a null, which you would interpret as 'there's nothing there', while in reality you are using an incorrect framework to evaluate it.

What do you think?
  • 180 Proof
    It's "silly" to ask a stone star or cosmos for its "motives" or "intentions". This is what why questions are: requests for subjective information; thus, it's silly – a category mistake – to address a nonsubjective entity with a why question (pace Aristotle re: teleology).
  • L'éléphant
    Am I the only one to understand that the "why?" question is invalid only when looking at it through a scientific framework. So it is not that the question is silly, rather the framework is inappropriate.M777
    Funny in science, the why overlaps the how and in an attempt to satisfy questions of the why, they would proceed to again explain a phenomenon in terms of how. Why does it rain? Because when water vapor collects in the clouds and precipitation....
  • jgill
    Funny in science, the why overlaps the how and in an attempt to satisfy questions of the why, they would proceed to again explain a phenomenon in terms of how.L'éléphant

Yes. Lines of demarcation are vague.
  • Agent Smith
    Science

1. Explains (causal): The Challenger space shuttle blew up. How (explanation)?

2. Predicts: Such and such will happen and this is why (proof).

The confusion between an explanation (how) & an argument (why) is a well-known issue, possibly because of the word "because" (ambiguous) used to introduce both the explanans & the premises.
  • 180 Proof
    There's no "confusion" ...

How A involuntarily happens (i.e. changes).

Why B voluntarily decided and/or acted.
  • Agent Smith
    There's no "confusion" ...

How A involuntarily happens (i.e. changes).

Why B voluntarily decided and/or acted.
    180 Proof

Not sure what ya mean but going by your track record, you're probably right! :cool:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.