• Benj96
    This is more of a lighthearted, just-for-fun topic but what do you think all dad jokes have in common? What is it exactly that goes to make a joke that much more “dad” level cringe but laughable all the same?

Is there a clear criterion to be had at all or is it more subjective and ill-defined than that?
  • javi2541997

Dads (well our parents as overall) tend to make efforts to be funny with us but they end up being cringe. I think this situation happens due to the collapse of different generations. What some would think it is funny, others would see it as "cringe"
    I guess if I were a dad, I would make bad/ridiculous jokes in a unconscious way.
  • Hillary
    145 Best Dad Jokes That Have The Whole Family Laughing

Take your pick or start a research program. :joke:
  • T Clark
    This should be in the Lounge.
  • Tom Storm
    What is it exactly that goes to make a joke that much more “dad” level cringe but laughable all the same?Benj96

I don't think Dad jokes are a thing. There are just mediocre jokes that when uttered by a middle aged man are dad jokes and when said by a young and ostensibly cool person either flop or succeed. We may arrive at a place where any mediocre joke is known as a dad joke in the same way that every complaint now seems to be made by a Karen.
  • Hillary

It depends on the dad and the joke told. Jokes told by own dads can be the most fantastic or the most worse. I mean, if the professional comedian told a joke it could have a different impact than the same joke told by dad. The comedian could be the dad.
  • Agent Smith
    The so-called generation gap manifesting via your dad in so embarrassing ways that it's hilarious = Dad joke!
  • Yohan
    I think dad jokes are basically puns?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.