• Agent Smith
    We're all familiar with cooking - you need a recipe, a recipe is simply an algorithm (an ordered sequence of activities that need to performed to achieve an end).

Philosophy (in no particular order)
    1. Metaphysics
    2. Aesthetics
    3. Ethics
    4. Epistemology
    5. Logic

Exercise: Construct an algorithm for doing philosophy.

I'll get the ball rolling (based on my own limited understanding):

Step 1: Logic
    Step 2: ?
    Step 3: ?
  • javi2541997
    Step 1: Epistemology
    Step 2: Logic
    Step 3: Metaphysics
    Step 4: Aesthetics.
    Step 5: Ethics.
  • ssu
    Algorithm: "Choose the field of Philosophy that can best answer the question you start with".
  • Angelo Cannata
    1. Get some idea about what other philosophers thought before you, throughout the history of philosophy, including the present, including living philosophers
    2. Get a critical mentality: get aware of how philosophers have always been very critical about everything
    3. Get awareness of yourself as a human, your uniqueness in the history of this world, get familiar with literature, art, sport, religions, life, news, history
    4. Use your self awareness, together with all other knowledge that you have acquired, to criticise everything, including your own criticism, including the algorithms that you are using, consciously and unconsciously
    5. Now you are, presumably, hopefully, in the ideal maturity to create your own philosophy and contribute to the growth of humanity.
  • Hillary

The two and most important that are left out: Physica and Theologica. The order then is:

1). Theologica
    2). Physica
    3). Metatheologica
    4). Metaphysica
    5). Epistemologica
    6). Logica-Mathematica
    7). Aesthetica
    8). Ethica
    9). Politica
    10)???ica
  • Agent Smith
    You completed the list then, mon ami! Merci beaucoup!

contribute to the growth of humanity.Angelo Cannata

:grin: What do you think I am? Socrates' avatar? You know what? I do feel like the Athenian gadfly, when he was about 2! :lol:

Nonetheless, good advice! Muchas gracias señor!

:ok:

Step 1: Epistemology
    Step 2: Logic
    Step 3: Metaphysics
    Step 4: Aesthetics.
    Step 5: Ethics.
    javi2541997

I like how you put ethics last! :up:
  • ArmChairPhilosopher

1. Ask a question.
    Algorithm: "Choose the field of Philosophy that can best answer the question you start with".ssu
  • 180 Proof
    From my speculative cookbook:
    1. negative ontology – understanding what reality is by negating (defining) what reality is not (i.e. necessarily excludes)

2. negative axiology – judging values (existential priorities) by negating disvalues:
    (a) aesthetics ~indifference / waste
    (b) ethics ~harm / injustice
    (c) logic ~error / nonsense

3. negative epistemology – unlearning maladaptive practices (habitus) e.g. unknowing, agnotogies, denialism, magical thinking ...
    — A sketch of (an) apophatic metaphysics
    Re: [negative ontology^^ [n_axiology [n_epistemology]]]

^^a generalization of negative theology ...

:fire: :nerd:
  • Agent Smith
    You da man 180 Proof

Would I be correct if I said that your philosophy is scientific to the degree it emphasizes (the avoidance of) falsehoods while trying its best to approximate truths?
  • Agent Smith
    1. Ask a question.
    Algorithm: "Choose the field of Philosophy that can best answer the question you start with".
    — ssu
    ArmChairPhilosopher

Most fascinating!
  • 180 Proof
    ↪180 Proof You da man 180 Proof

Would I be correct if I said that your philosophy is scientific to the degree it emphasizes (the avoidance of) falsehoods while trying its best to approximate truths?
    Agent Smith
    Yeah, approximately. :wink:
  • Agent Smith
    Yeah, approximately180 Proof

:grin: :up:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.