• Varde
    Knowledge is data understood.

What is knowledge of data?

Data is mental vantage.

The Sky is Blue is data.
    The Sky is Blue is data, and knowledge, when that data is understood.
    The Sky is Blue, everyone, I know.

I'm very knowledgeable, meaning I have collected lots of data and thus know what's what.

If you ask me a question, I might produce raw or formatted data which answers it.
  • Angelo Cannata
    I agree, and this is what makes the concept of knowledge full of problems.
  • Hillary

Data reside in computers. Not in your brain. Your knowledge is a simulation of the world.
  • Cuthbert
    “Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?
    Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?”
    — Eliot, The Rock

And for the computer age:

Where is the information we have lost in data?
    How the hell did we lose the data?
  • I like sushi
    Epistemology is a mess of a category and hard to get to grips with.

We have theories of knowledge, different types of knowledge and how raw data is related to knowledge … as well as what we mean by ‘data’.

I would start by defining (or using specific definitions) of ‘data’ in order to outline how you currently view the term ‘knowledge’.

The often added muddle to this topic is ideas of ‘truth’ and ‘facts’ too. People often mix them up and/or use them synonymously. If you are trying to dig down further think about setting out some basic ground work upon which to establish an overall picture.

One thing that has to be realised it that you/we are dealing with ‘words’ here. That may sound obvious, but it is precisely the ‘obvious’ that can overlooked and taken as a pillar of certainty. What is obvious is obvious why/how? Going down that road will likely open up more ideas/thoughts/questions.

Have fun :)
  • javi2541997

Data reside in computers. Not in your brain. Your knowledge is a simulation of the world.

Sorry, I am disagree. Data is clearly in our brains too. It is an important fact that help us to face the life according to our experience
  • Hillary

Then where are the data stored and how?
  • javi2541997

Data can be stored in both our knowledge and primarily emotions. For example: Imagine you get burned by touching a hot pot. After suffering the wound of burning yourself, you create a special data of not doing again.
    This can be related to the basic principles of empiricism
  • Hillary
    Data can be stored in both our knowledge and primarily emotions. For example: Imagine you get burned by touching a hot pot. After suffering the wound of burning yourself, you create a special data of not doing again.
    This can be related to the basic principles of empiricism
    javi2541997

Every process in the world leaves traces in body and brain. But only in a living body with brain they come alive. You can't see Einstein's field equations by inspecting his dead brain. Like you can when stored on a static computer chip.
  • unenlightened
    Knowledge is habit; repetition of the past.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.