• jgill
    I taught at the college level for many years and never thought of the subject or my teaching strategies as racist, but I know only a little of how math is taught K-9. Here is an article that is disturbing, at least for me, an old retired prof. What do you think?
  • Hillary
    I think it's the white's people free market capitalist system that is imposed via math. Money and quantities of it are involved? The "Jane buys 10 products at costprice..." kinds of problems. To which also the whites get exposed though.
  • Paulm12

I actually think the argument that mathematics is somehow rooted in "white supremacist culture" (as the article claims) falls apart when you realize that Asians on average tend to have better math skills than whites. As someone from California, I wince that they are trying to take calculus out of the curriculum because it somehow causes some students to feel "naturally better/worse" at math. Ironic that this policy comes from a liberal California, where achievement gaps for Black, Latino and low-income students are the widest in the nation.

As Tom Loveless said, “The way you get social justice in mathematics is to teach the kids math...not by dressing up mathematics in social justice.”

Granted, there were plenty of mathematicians who were racist (R. L. Moore), and of course departments should do their best to counteract racism by faculty, other students, etc so those who have ability or work hard can succeed
  • Hillary

Math is mainly white. The number of white mathematicians vs. black mathematicians doesn't reflect the true ratio. Same for physicists.
  • Bret Bernhoft
    I do not observe math as being racist. "It" is an open source programming language for the Universe. Anyone can access "it", as there are no barriers to entry. You can even create your own open source math(s)!

This is like asking if JavaScript or Python are racist! Of course they're not, they're tools. Just like math. Math is a tool. Users of math can be racist, yes. But not math "itself".
  • Hillary
    2 + 2 = white? Nope.whollyrolling

2+2=4 is an invention made by white folks. That's why the number of white mathematicians is relatively much higher than the number of black mathematicians. Black people see the madness of 2+2=4, or integrals in general.
  • 180 Proof
    How a tool is used can be "racist" (or some other exploitative/discriminatory "x–ist") like for instance financial redlining, not the mere tool itself. :roll:

:fire:
  • Hillary

The tool itself is a white invention. Neil deGrasse is a deserter.
  • Bret Bernhoft

I'm interested in learning more about what you mean. How is a "tool", a white invention? Please be specific.
  • 180 Proof
    The tool itself is a white inventionHillary
    Even if that's true, your claim suggests a genetic fallacy ... Big whup, Your Wokeness.
  • Hillary

Just look at the history of math. Mainly white folks.
  • Hillary
    Genetic fallacy.180 Proof

Might be, but Gauss, Hamilton, Lorenz, Lagrange, Cauchy, etc. Were white, if I remember correctly. Where are the blacks? And why there is a relative small number at university? I'm not saying they are not able.
  • Hillary
    How racist is that statement..whollyrolling

It's a fact.
  • Sir2u
    This caught my eye.

The Vancouver, Washington, school board director moved to dramatically alter advanced classes because too many white kids were enrolled. He would force the higher achievers into classrooms with underachievers to meet the district's equity commitment.

I wonder how many black, Latin, or mixed race kids got screwed over there. And how many low achievers improved.
    I don't think that it should be considered discriminatory if the kids that are not doing well in school, many of them for the same reasons, are all put together so that highly trained teacher can work on a single learning level to raise their achievements to a higher standard.

Kids need to be taught at their level of learning, not some sitting in an office talking bullshit minister's single level of learning ideas. Every kid has his/her own special needs, and they don't get met by over stuffing classrooms with overworked, badly equipped teachers working under some idiots ideas of fairness.
    Working in a classroom that contains many people with different needs is nearly impossible. You end up with everyone except the very high achievers going down.
  • Sir2u
    Just look at the history of math. Mainly white folks.Hillary

Just look at the true history of numbers, not many of the numbers came from white peoples languages.

https://education.casio.co.uk/blog/a-brief-history-of-numbers
  • Hillary

The facts don't lie.
  • Hillary
    Just look at the true history of numbersSir2u

"Thee true history of numbers,"? As if such exists...
  • Sir2u
    As if such exists?Hillary

You don't think god gave us numbers do you?
  • Hillary

Now I am considered racist, while it's white supremacy enforcing math at our schools.
  • 180 Proof
    You can't be that stupid. Go troll somewhere else.
  • Hillary
    You don't think god gave us numbers do you?Sir2u

How so? God doesn't exist.
  • Hillary
    Troll somewhere else.180 Proof

Is that all you got?
  • Hillary
    Jesus, 10 replies in one minute! Touchy subject. How can that be...? Personal assault?
  • Sir2u
    Now I am considered racist, while it's white supremacy enforcing math at our schools.Hillary

Common sense is enforcing math in school, if you cannot use math adequately you are useless to society, so you have math in schools.

The methods of teaching math might be questionable, but not the need for teaching it.
  • Hillary
    Common sense is enforcing math in schoolSir2u

Well, then you have a different common sense. Of course white folks and blacks have the same potential. But math is a white invention. That can't be denied!
  • Sir2u
    How so? God doesn't exist.Hillary

You don't think that there is a history of numbers and god does not exist, so where did numbers come from.

And why do you capitalize the name of a none existent being?
  • NOS4A2

Math wasn’t racist until people such as the Ethnic Studies Math teacher entered the scene. They are creating systemic racism.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.