• universeness
    with an obvious false assumptionNickolasgaspar

You are being rather naive here, you would be surprised how well your words could be used against you very successfully when offered to others in an 'out of context,' manner. Please continue and find out in time.
    It also might be true that you are in fact a secret misogynist as that was the example you choose to use in what you claim was metaphorical.

I will help you a bit by saying this.Nickolasgaspar
    Now you reveal your more base arrogance. An ingredient in those who are manipulative.

Why are you hiding behind generalizationsNickolasgaspar

You invoke images of others hiding from you. Does that make you feel powerful? Hah! such attempts to intimidate are laughable and amateur.

Just because both can be placed under the label of trickery...that only makes your claim a fallacy of Ambiguity, not a legit evaluation of my tactic to expose bad reasoningNickolasgaspar
    Of course, it's easy for you to cry foul and raise your own contrived fallacy claim rather than admit to your own shortfalls when attempting to engage in productive dialogue. Stop throwing your toys out of your pram because I don't approve of all the methods you employ in discourse with others.

I can construct a situation where killing an other individual can be the most moral thing to do. Does it mean that it was a trickery or the legal term (Murder) of killing other people should color all acts that have the same outcome?Nickolasgaspar

Perhaps you should proofread what you type a little more, your second sentence makes little sense in the above quote.

Not really we allow ignorance and irrationality to be included especially in philosophy and we then get mad with people's ideologies....that is a factNickolasgaspar
    Not a fact, it's merely one of your interpretations.

Again that is an irrelevant statement. It doesn't support your wrong accusation of being dishonest because I exposed someone's irrational standards through a specific example on questionable valuesNickolasgaspar
    I am not surprised you would type that, There is equally no surprise that I disagree!

I don't know why do you insist with this patronizing attitude when you were ignorant of the details of my interaction and you reject to correct your critique after I provided all the necessary information of my simple technique.
    I guess we are done here
    Nickolasgaspar

No, I agree that you don't know why.
    I have no idea who you are. You could be engaging in all sorts of sophistry as any poster on this site could be, including me. I suggest you don't pose as a misogynist again as it's a bad idea.
    I don't give a shit if you choose to ignore that advice.
    Your last sentence is further evidence to me that you are an arrogant ***** so who cares.
  • Hillary
    was paid a state teacher's salary for over 30 years!universeness

Did you ask your students for money. Any teacher is a very refined slavedriver for the system (though not realizing it, I loved most of them!), the new God by law pushed in the children's mind is science.. They asked me to teach math and physics several times but I denied. I only taught teeners who came to me and offered money. But a grown up guy, as Carroll seems to be (in his mind here still a child, like you, still in denial) claiming he loves science is a hypocrite. Luckily I have a great professor on my side now. We have a great exchange and he offers great insights! For free!

And guess what? He believes in god...
  • universeness
    Did you ask your students for money.Hillary
    Their parents pay through their taxes and many teachers also take pay for private tutoring.

I only taught teeners who came to me and offered moneyHillary
    Eh! have you not just contradicted yourself?

The rest of what you typed just seemed a bit to emotional on your part for me to respond to with anything other that, 'well fine, if thats how you feel about it, the god free Universe continues regardless.'
  • Hillary

Ah, brother Uni, it's actually completely irrelevant if you believe in gods or not. It's living life that counts. If gods add some for me, why not? If they don't for you, okay! What's the difference?
  • Hillary
    Their parents pay through their taxes and many teachers also take pay for private tutoring.universeness

Yes, I did some private tutoring too. But that's because they offer it. It was asked.
  • Tobias
    It caught my eye when reading through a short discussion about the morality of bearing a child and it threw me off because my initial reaction was to question how it could even be possible to make such an argument.ratgambling

It is not possible to state this argument because it is impossile to value non existence.

@Hillary who is this new God you talk of and what slaves do I drive? Which system benefits from me? Why would you deny to teach math? Who is the old God?

Whether God exists... I had a lovely altercation with a student from the Christian students association just the other day. He came up to me because I was clad in black I suppose. He stated he was performing an inquiry and wanted to know what I thought about reality and if I had any questions. I had lots of questions you see... His companion pulled him away after some 30 minutes and gave me a death stare.
  • universeness
    Ah, brother Uni, it's actually completely irrelevant if you believe in gods or not. It's living life that counts. If gods add some for me, why not? If they don't for you, okay! What's the difference?Hillary

All truth seekers, seek the truth and remain unconvinced by pure conjecture.
    Evidence-based is the only way to progress. Fantasy is only for entertainment.
  • Tobias
    Evidence-based is the only way to progress. Fantasy is only for entertainment.universeness

Ohh come on now... we need fantasy and imagination to establish our criteria for evidence... they are themselves not evidence based you see... ;)
  • universeness
    Yes, I did some private tutoring too. But that's because they offer it. It was askedHillary

So Sean Carroll is required through the 'business' called Patreon to ask for a small amount of money to get him to consider answering your question. That's how many such sites work.
    I doubt Sean himself will become rich based on the actual cash money he will get out of it.
  • universeness
    Ohh come on now... we need fantasy and imagination to establish our criteria for evidence... they are themselves not evidence based you see...Tobias

Use as much of your fantasy capabilities to assist your musings about reality as you like.
    Science fiction often results in science fact, I was not rejecting that. I was referring to the fantasies of theism being presented or manifested as religious fact to the human race.
  • Hillary
    So Sean Carroll is required through the 'business' called Patreon to ask for a small amount of money to get him to consider answering your question. That's how many such sites work.
    I doubt Sean himself will become rich based on the actual cash money he will get out of it.
    universeness

Yes, I know brother Uni. But I sent him a private mail. He could at least have the decency to answer. Like professor Harari.
  • Hillary
    Use as much of your fantasy capabilities to assist your musings about reality as you like.universeness

What about good and bad ghosts in quantum field theory? The point is, science itself is a fantasy look on reality.
  • universeness
    Yes, I know brother Uni. But I sent him a private mail. He could at least have the decency to answer. Like professor Harari.Hillary

I agree, he should have, but he has not committed an unspeakable act against you.
    He will have his own criteria for choosing which questions he wants to answer as he does not have enough time to answer them all. I understand your disappointment but I think your reaction to such examples are OTT (over the top)!
    Not every scratchcard is a winner! You pay your money and take your chance. I am not a great fan of such a system but I don't get too angry if I choose to participate and I lose.
  • Hillary
    who is this new God you talk of and what slaves do I drive? Which system benefits from me? Why would you deny to teach math? Who is the old God?Tobias

The old god is the one in power before the enlightenment. The new god is the impersonal, so-called absolute, objective god of scientific thinking. Just look at all the tasks to be completed, the problems to be "solved" in the learning books, especially the math or "exact" ones. Which is all nice, I love them! But why, for example, should astrology not be learned by law?
  • universeness
    What about good and bad ghosts in quantum field theory? The point is, science itself is a fantasy look on reality.Hillary

Your playing again! Do you also think the 'God particle' label for the Higgs boson infers that all the scientists at the LHC are theists?
  • universeness
    He came up to me because I was clad in black I supposeTobias

I would have asked you if you were a Jonny Cash fan! Unless you had a wee white flash in the middle of your shirt collar as well.
  • Nickolasgaspar

Obvious books do not fit where your head is located... or you don't have enough light up there, try ebooks.lol
    When you ever decide to address the actual technique and example I used, then send me a msg.
    I am not here to satisfy your parental urges.

If you don't change your behavior...then you are done.
    You can always play with Hillary sparky.
  • Hillary
    I agree, he should have, but he has not committed an unspeakable act against you.universeness

No, that's not what I said. I said that he answers only things he can answer and are not suggesting something else and better. I have sent him five emails now and Im done with him. He's not really interested in truth, as you call it. Just in promoting his own ideas, which are false.i dont think he likes it I pointed him out.
  • Hillary
    Your playing againuniverseness

You call everything I say against science playing. Tell me, what about ghost particles?
  • Hillary
    Obvious books do not fit where your head is located... or you don't have enough light up there, try ebooks.lol
    When you ever decide to address the actual technique and example I used, then send me a msg.
    Nickolasgaspar

What are you talking about? My parental urges? You think I play your mother?
  • Hillary

Relax, brother. I just believe in gods, no, Im sure they exist. You don't. So what? Im curious about the material universe just like you. Why you think I studied physics (without having attended colleges, except for the last, most interesting year). I like physics even more, in the knowledge that gods made the basics of the universe.
  • universeness

If you don't change your behavior...then you are done.
    You can always play with Hillary sparky.
    Nickolasgaspar

As I suggested, an arrogant ***** who trips over his own sense of personal significance.
    Go pick up those toys you :naughty: little tinker!
    You can always ask for a reassuring hug from mommy or a substitute mommy.
  • Nickolasgaspar
    Ohh come on now... we need fantasy and imagination to establish our criteria for evidence... they are themselves not evidence based you see...Tobias
    No , you need empirical verification to identify the correct criteria and principles.
    Imagination and fantasy can only help us to come up with out of the box hypotheses and make connections that our trained minds can't. (Defuse thinking or Fast thinking (Daniel Kahneman).
    At the end of the day we will need to Objectively evaluate every thought we make so imagination and fantasy are not necessary or sufficient or credible ways for the progress of our epistemology and philosophy.
  • Hillary

Sorry, Uni! I thought you write the parental thing... sorry again
  • Nickolasgaspar
    I exposed your patronizing urges and your bovine manure on a discussion you never read.... and I said 'YOU ARE DONE".
    Do you have unknown words in that sentence or you are still riding your ego-dragon?
    You are done....finished.
  • universeness
    Sorry, Uni! I thought you write the parental thing... sorry againHillary

:rofl: Nae bother man! In true theistic tradition, 'I forgive you!'
  • Hillary
    I exposed your patronizing urges and your bovine manure on a discussion you never read.... and I said 'YOU ARE DONE".
    Do you have unknown words in that sentence or you are still riding your ego-dragon?
    Nickolasgaspar

Ego dragon, bovine manure? If anyone offers cinstructive comments it's @universeness! Not sure about you...
  • universeness
    You are done....finished
    Nickolasgaspar

I did read it, don't throw more toys out your pram you will have none left to play with.
    "YOU ARE DONE!" :lol: :rofl: :lol: Yeah done with who? Baby gaspar gasbag!
  • Nickolasgaspar
    Hillary....learn how to tell when a post is for you.
    These comments are not for you mate....
    I am addressing an arrogant sophist who make ups accusations and projects them on others just to hear his voice.
  • Nickolasgaspar
    Jesus, Nickolast. If that's the world you like to be part of... We are no computers!Hillary

To be honest I am not sure about your ontology....but I am not a computer.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.