• Jackson
    Pegasus airlines can.Hillary

Do you believe an airplane is a horse?
  • Hillary

Just imagine heaven. All creatures and organisms that ever lived and will live in the universe in eternal pure non-physical shapes.
  • Hillary

Wasn't Pegasus one?
  • Jackson
    Wasn't Pegasus one?Hillary

Most people would not call an airplane a horse.
  • Hillary

But Pegasus was a horse with wings.
  • Jackson
    But Pegasus was a horse with wings.Hillary

ok
  • Hillary

So horses can fly. If Pegasus was a horse with wings, what else can we conclude? It's a thin line though between psychosis and sanity.
  • Jackson
    So horses can fly. If Pegasus was a horse with wings, what else can we conclude? It's a thin line though between psychosis and sanity.Hillary

Sorry, I really don't understand what you're saying.
  • Hillary

It's okay. What I mean is that what is considered real today can be the delusion of tomorrow.
  • Jackson
    It's okay. What I mean is that what is considered real today can be the delusion of tomorrow.Hillary

Ok. Nothing to do with what I said.
  • Hillary
    Ok. Nothing to do with what I said.Jackson

Well, you said unicorns are real and flying horses are not. But in a year this can be the other way round.
  • Jackson
    Well, you said unicorns are realHillary

I did not say that.
  • Agent Smith

Genetic mutation (re X-men, Marvel Comics)
  • javi2541997

I think you didn’t understand the quote. This is not about believe or not in the hell, heaven, God, etc… and another kind of subterfuge. Christianity (as much as other religious masses) has always been a threat to those people different from them. Back in the day, being an atheist was punished by the law. Saying strong language against Christ was forbidden. The crusades, an army of Christ, killed all the members of a society with different thought or beliefs, etc…
    As you see, Christianity could be a threat to free speech or democracy
  • javi2541997
    didn't slaughter all the members of any society, and they didn't target just any society with different beliefs, they slaughtered Muslims specifically,whollyrolling

You, indirectly, assumed that crusades slaughtered some people of a specific community just for religious issues.
    In November 1095, at the Council of Clermont in southern France, the Pope called on Western Christians to take up arms to aid the Byzantines and recapture the Holy Land from Muslim control. This marked the beginning of the Crusades. Crusades

If anything, it can be observed that free speech is a threat to Christianity and has quite successfully suppressed it.whollyrolling

Then, according to your own thoughts, Christianity can only be developed with totalitarianism. As crusades did…
  • SpaceDweller

I think the point is that crusades were justified.
  • javi2541997

You are trying to change the topic or mix it but I will not fall in that trick. Jerusalem is not part of our discussion. The city is even far away from Europe. I just put some examples of how crusades (tended) to finish Muslims just for religious purposes.
    You can try to turn the tables but the historical fact is that one: crusades were an invention of Christianity to vanish Muslims or whatever groups different from them
  • javi2541997
    The Holy Land.whollyrolling

Holy land according to your own religious beliefs. But Jerusalem is in nowadays: One of Israel's Basic Laws, the Jerusalem Law of 1980, refers to "complete and undivided" Jerusalem as the country's capital. All of the institutions of the Israeli government are located within Jerusalem, including the Knesset, the residences of the Prime Minister (Beit Aghion) and President (Beit HaNassi), and the Supreme Court. While Israel's claim to sovereignty over West Jerusalem is more widely accepted by the international community, its claim to sovereignty over East Jerusalem is regarded as illegitimate, and East Jerusalem is consequently recognized by the United Nations as Palestinian territory that is occupied by Israel
  • Gnomon
    The "Enformation Thesis"?Hillary
    Enformationism is my personal worldview, based on 21st century Quantum & Information theories. Scientists are beginning to conclude that shape-shifting Information (mind-matter-energy) is the fundamental element of the real world. So, I have concluded that, logically, there must a Cosmic Mind or Programmer to set-up the creative progressive program that we call "Evolution". However, it's neither a Scientific model, nor a Religious myth, but merely serves as a Philosophical perspective on the world "in which we live and move and have our being". I don't have any privileged knowledge of the Enformer/Programmer, so I resort to the use of various metaphors, instead the usual G*D concept, to refer to the ultimate source of our world (e.g. BEING -- the power to exist). :smile:

PS___If the notion of invisible Information, as both the energy and the matter of reality, is hard to wrap your mind around, check-out Spinoza's theory of "Single Substance" = Nature = God.

Enformationism :
    As a scientific paradigm, the thesis of Enformationism is intended to be an update to the obsolete 19th century paradigm of Materialism. Since the recent advent of Quantum Physics, the materiality of reality has been watered down. Now we know that matter is a form of energy, and that energy is a form of Information.
    As a religious philosophy, the creative power of EnFormAction is envisioned as a more realistic version of the antiquated religious notions of Spiritualism. Since our temporary world had a beginning, it's hard to deny the concept of creation. So, an infinite First Cause is proposed to serve as both the energetic Enformer and the malleable substance of the enformed world.

BothAnd Blog Glossary
  • Gnomon
    My understanding of your Enformationism Thesis is basically this: As far as we, h. sapiens, and also other beings with more or less the same level of intelligence, are concerned, information is key to building a universe. Think computer simulations - information (on how to create a universe like ours) is prior to the (simulated) universe itself.
    The next obvious question is, who is/are the programmer(s) [god(s)]? Someone/something must have used the information required to construct a universe, ours; this one maybe one among many others (multiverse).
    Agent Smith
    Yes. Quantum scientists & Cosmologists (mathematical theorists, not empirical pragmatists) are coming to the conclusion that invisible-intangible Information (mathematical ratios between 1s & 0s) is the essence of material reality. Based on that axiomatic assumption, some have postulated a Mathematical Universe, or a Cosmic Computer Simulation. But my layman's thesis is a bit more down-to-earth. For personal & philosophical purposes, I assume that our temporary & contingent world was created in the Big Bang, and that the creative process continues to this day. It seems to be progressing in complexity (e.g intelligence), and heading toward some unknowable destination, that some call "Omega Point".

The First Cause/Creation concept implies that the BB was not an astronomically unlikely accident, but an intentional construct. So, I imagine that the Cause was like a Computer Programmer, who embedded an evolutionary algorithm into the mother-board of the BB Singularity, then pressed the "Enter" button. Voila! the material world is the result of ciphering objects & actions from the Laws & Algorithms. It's a neat theory, but as a being limited to space-time, I have no way of gaining direct knowledge of anything that "existed" before the beginning of Time : i.e. Eternity.

Therefore, I can't claim to have any privileged knowledge of the presumed Programmer, or of any other 'verses that might be out there in the mysterious Great Beyond. However, bowing to Ockham's Razor, I don't "multiply entities". So, I think of the Ultimate Source, not as people or things, but as a universal Principle of Existence, that I label, "BEING".

Note -- The initial Singularity is often compared to a Black Hole, which is a repository of Information. But in reverse : the Information comes out of it, spewing stars & planets into empty space.
  • Hillary
    Quantum scientists & Cosmologists (mathematical theorists, not empirical pragmatists) are coming to the conclusion that invisible-intangible Information (mathematical ratios between 1s & 0s) is the essence of material reality.Gnomon

I don't agree, although the ebformation thesis is interesting and has a warranted applicability if applied to the relation between brain and physical world. But when applied to the material world of particles and their interactions it assumes a hidden reality that is not present, in my humble opinion.

A computerchip crammed with usable information weight a fraction more than an empty chip, but this doesn't mean that information can be weighed.
  • Hillary
    Note -- The initial Singularity is often compared to a Black Hole, which is a repository of Information. But in reverse : the Information comes out of it, spewing stars & planets into empty space.Gnomon

What comes out of the singularity are two universes filled with particles. They interact by means of the vacuum between them. Initially there are large scale structures formed. Vast amounts of particles condensing into massive cosmic droplets, due to the quantitatively small but attractive nature of gravity. The interactions that resist keeps these structures from forming black holes and around the spherical distributions that start to shine like stars (and in fact are stars) life develops on planets that periodically are exposed to the blackness and the cold of the universal void at night and the white light and the warmth of soothing star at day. All creatures with brains enactively create a universe that suits their needs and while interacting and playing with fellow creatures they little by little create ideosyncratic habitats. There are no zeroes and ones involved in the whole cosmic process and the it from bit is founded on a modern day computing fairy tale. There are no quantum computers (or Turing machines) running behind the scene computing the behavior of particles, nor is the brain a computing machine or a universal Türing machine).
  • Agent Smith
    Therefore, I can't claim to have any privileged knowledge of the presumed ProgrammerGnomon

Tanquam ex ungue leonem (We recognize the lion by his claw). — Johann Bernoulli (said of Isaac Newton after Newton sent him a solution for the brachiostochrone problem)
  • Gnomon
    A computerchip crammed with usable information weight a fraction more than an empty chip, but this doesn't mean that information can be weighed.Hillary
    Don't take that scientist's loose talk about Information having Mass too literally. He's thinking of Information as a "state of Matter". Instead, I view Matter as a form of Information. That's because Information (e.g. mathematical ratios) seems to be fundamental to physical and meta-physical reality.

Raw unformed Information is like a statistical Probability, all Potential nothing Actual. But as Pure Information changes forms, from weightless Mind-stuff, to statistical Potential, to Energy, to Matter, it becomes more physical and more massive. For example at light-speed, a Photon (pure potential energy) has no mass, but as it slows down, it gains mass, until it eventually becomes Matter. (E=MC^2). :nerd:

Could information be the fundamental "stuff" of the universe? :
    https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/article/is-information-fundamental/
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.