• SpaceDweller
    Any cause needs to be explained by a cause.Jackson
    which leads of infinity

When something has no prior reason for its existence, there are no rules limiting how or what could exist. So anything you can imagine.Philosophim
    but there is reason for God's existence, while anything that you can imagine requires reason and first cause.
  • Jackson
    but there is reason for God's existence, while anything that you can imagine requires reason and first cause.SpaceDweller

What is the reason for God's existence?
  • SpaceDweller
    What is the reason for God's existence?Jackson
    love,

love toward creation, love toward existence, love toward anything.
  • Jackson
    ove,

love toward creation, love toward existence, love toward anything.
    SpaceDweller

I never found that interesting or compelling.
  • chiknsld
    I never found that interesting or compelling.Jackson

I'm assuming you are alluding to the fact that other things are interesting and compelling to you?
  • Jackson
    I'm assuming you are alluding to the fact that other things are interesting and compelling to you?chiknsld

Yes. The idea that God created the world for love just does not mean anything to me.
  • chiknsld
    Yes. The idea that God created the world for love just does not mean anything to me.Jackson

Yea but other things mean something to you. :)
  • SpaceDweller

fine, I don't find plausible or compelling that anything you can imagine doesn't require prior reason for its existence.
    after all we are talking about creation of the universe or everything, there must be reason.
    everything needs or has a reason.
  • Jackson
    Yea but other things mean something to youchiknsld

Yes. As far as explanations for what our universe is.
  • Jackson
    fine, I don't find plausible or compelling that anything you can imagine doesn't require prior reason for its existence.
    after all we are talking about creation of the universe or everything, there must be reason.
    everything needs or has a reason.
    SpaceDweller

Infinite regress of cause. God created the universe. Nothing created God. Not an explanation, just a myth.
    And I am fine with myth, just not this one.
  • SpaceDweller
    Infinite regress of causeJackson
    infinity is not an answer because first cause is necessary what ever it may be, God or not God.

You don't take God as an explanation, that's fine but then at least there must be something else that breaks infinity.
  • Jackson
    infinity is not an answer because first cause is necessary what ever it may be, God or not God.SpaceDweller

Saying "God" is first cause is myth. Like I said, that is okay, there just is nothing further to discuss.
  • Philosophim
    When something has no prior reason for its existence, there are no rules limiting how or what could exist. So anything you can imagine.
    — Philosophim
    but there is reason for God's existence, while anything that you can imagine requires reason and first cause.
    SpaceDweller

Is there a prior reason for God's existence? Note the word "prior". If there is a prior reason for God's existence, then God is not the first cause of reality. And if there is no prior reason for God's existence, then my point stands.
  • chiknsld
    Saying "God" is first cause is myth. Like I said, that is okay, there just nothing to discuss.Jackson

I think you're missing the point. If people are not capable of figuring out the first cause then you can always fall back on God. At least we can't really fall back on, "it's not interesting or compelling to me".

At least God is an answer.
  • Jackson
    I think you're missing the point. If people are not capable of figuring out the first cause then you can always fall back on God. At least we can't really fall back on, "it's not interesting or compelling to me".

At least God is an answer.
    chiknsld

To you, not me.
  • chiknsld
    To you, not me.Jackson

Sounds emotional.
  • SpaceDweller
    Is there a prior reason for God's existence? Note the word "prior"Philosophim

If we are talking about God as supernatural being, (non material being or thing) then even if there is prior reason there is no way for us to know it because it's outside anything we can see or measure.
  • Jackson
    Sounds emotional.chiknsld

ok
  • Philosophim
    If we are talking about God as supernatural being, (non material being or thing) then even if there is prior reason there is no way for us to know it because it's outside anything we can see or measure.SpaceDweller

Ok, but that doesn't negate my point. That would mean something made God.
  • chiknsld
    Ok, but that doesn't negate my point. That would mean something made God.Philosophim

What can make God?
  • SpaceDweller
    Ok, but that doesn't negate my point. That would mean something made God.Philosophim

If anything made God then God is not God (it's inferior), but rather whatever made God is the actual God. (superior God)
    Therefore, it's impossible to know prior reason for God's existence because that would make God inferior and us superior.

This means your point doesn't make sense for God.
  • chiknsld
    If anything made God then God is not God (it's inferior), but rather whatever made God is the actual God. (superior God)
    Therefore, it's impossible to know prior reason for God's existence because that would make God inferior and us superior.

This means your point doesn't make sense for God.
    SpaceDweller

He wants God to be like anything else.
  • chiknsld
    They are basically saying that if we cannot answer who created God then God does not exist. But that's an argument from emotion not logic.
  • Jackson
    They are basically saying that if we cannot answer who created God then God does not exist. But that's an argument from emotion not logic.chiknsld

What is the emotional part?
  • chiknsld
    What is the emotional part?Jackson

You don't understand?
  • chiknsld
    Can someone explain to Jackson what I said?
  • Jackson
    You don't understand?chiknsld

Please refrain from ad hominems.
  • chiknsld
    Please refrain from ad hominems.Jackson

That's an accusation.
  • T Clark
    My own view is that I have no grounds to accept the proposition that once there was nothing - nothing can't even be defined.Tom Storm

I have no problem conceiving, maybe imagining is a better word, that the universe, however you define it, has always been here and always will be. That it has no beginning and no end. Is that true? Who cares if it allows us to ignore the uncreated creator question.

My new philosophical position, a modification of Occam's razor - When you have two equal theories about some aspect of reality, choose the one that is less annoying.
  • T Clark
    You don't understand?
    — chiknsld

Please refrain from ad hominems.
    Jackson

If someone says you don't understand, that is not an ad hominem argument. It's not even an insult.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment