• rohan
    Sad might not be the right word, but I don't know which word else to use. I have been learning math for 1.5 years every day for 20 min avg, with books from openstax.

I did it to see if I would find something to like about math. As this post speaks for itself, I did not.
    But when I play a game for example I like to play, such as lets say Anno 1800 I naturally want to learn strategies, watch how other people to play to appreciate the game.

I thought maybe I could transer it to math and engineering, since the money would be nice.

I even didn't play any games for that 1.5 years to see if maybe the fact that I gamed impacted my ability to like other things such as math.
  • Sir2u
    I doubt that you don't like math, I think you are having difficulty learning it.

If you are not learning using their methods, you need more help or a lower learning level to start at.

Look for some basic math courses so that you can get a better base to work on their courses or get someone to tutor you.
  • rohan
    Hmm, well I started really from the most basic point you could get.Elementary and then intermediate to pre algebra and then college algebra. I Have gone through these books and sort of understood it since I have been able to complete these books. It didn't give me any sense of satisfaction while I was doing it.
  • Sir2u
    So you thought that you would feel good about yourself when you completed the courses and it did not work. Maybe you need to try doing something with the knowledge, proving that it has some real value is a good way to feel satisfaction.
  • Jack Cummins

I didn't like Maths at all. I can remember feeling so depressed when I had double periods of it at school. I don't know why I disliked it so much and whether it was because some of it was so difficult or because it did leave much scope for imagination. I was getting on reasonably okay with it though until I had a teacher whose style I found unhelpful and, then I lost all interest entirely. I can do the everyday arithmetic but found equations and trigonometry so meaningless.
  • baker
    I have been learning math for 1.5 years every day for 20 min avg, with books from openstax.rohan

That's not enough time per day. You should try with 90 minutes per day, 6 days a week, for 3 months.
  • L'éléphant

I always thought that anything we are compelled to learn that has nothing to do with the preparation for the apocalypse should not bother us too much, if at all. If we don't like it, then, compare it with someone not liking art or music and move on. I'd be bothered if the life skills that would save me and others at the doom of humanity are denied from me.
  • jgill
    I was a professor of mathematics at a state university for a number of years, but as a graduate student there were courses I didn't like and had to push myself through them. When I focused on my chosen area and delved into research, well, that was fascinating. So even professionals don't necessarily love it all. One of my first grad courses was in foundations, the central area of philosophy of mathematics, and I was happy to get through it, but never returned to it.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.