• dimosthenis9
    the kind of loss you deal with when you get rejected. Rejection can suck, it can be embarrassing and its a blow to the ego, so that's something that should be taken into consideration if you're going to ask for something or try to get something.HardWorker

Yeah rejection hurts. Mostly cause it's a blow to your Ego, as you mentioned. You can't do anything about avoid feeling that pain. You understand that and just suck it up. Let it do its circle. You don't have a say on that, can't control it.

BUT what you will do with that rejection at the end and how you will use it afterwards, it's up to you-us. Will you examine it logically, realize after some time that it's not the end of the world and that shouldn't let it devastate you?? Even letting that rejection to "teach" you some lessons??Turning it from an Ego blow into an Ego boost for trying to achieve more of your goals?? Or you will let whatever rejection define your life and your self image permanently and be condemned to doom days?
    Well this is a decision that is in our hands and we do have a say on that.

Of course as Tom mentioned things can be more complicated. A rejection might just trigger deeper psychological issues that all of us have down on the basement. But my point remains.
    Rejection pain =unavoidable,nothing we can do about it. Dealing with rejection/pain =we do have a say on this part. The only part that we can actually interfere and have a say on.
  • HardWorker
    Yes, this is the harm. But it's not considered a loss.L'éléphant
    So perhaps a better way to put it would be, "nothing ventured nothing gained, and that includes not gaining stuff you don't want," since when you do venture you might get what you want, but you also take the risk of getting stuff you don't want, namely pain.
  • HardWorker
    Speaking for myself, all the times I've been rejected (100% of the time), there's always been a very good reason for the rejection. I don't know whether to :smile: (good thinking) or :sad: (I'm defective)!Agent Smith
    So you must handle it much better than Paris did from Gilmore Girls when she didn't get into Harvard.
  • L'éléphant
    So perhaps a better way to put it would be, "nothing ventured nothing gained, and that includes not gaining stuff you don't want," since when you do venture you might get what you want, but you also take the risk of getting stuff you don't want, namely pain.HardWorker
    Yes, you can put it that way. But, the word I had wanted to hear is vulnerability. When we ventured out to do something, we are exposing ourselves to the elements, so to speak, that is, we are vulnerable.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.