• Haglund

I don't mean wormholes. Space itself is the connection.
  • PhilosophyRunner
    If space itself is the connection, then either:

- It (space) is transferring information between entangled particles at faster than the speed of light
    - Space is connecting the particles in such a way as there is no distance between them (wormholes)
  • Haglund

If the hidden variables have a non-local nature than the can collapse two entangled states, spatially separated, simultaneously, like a causal fork. No information runs between the two events. Only a direct causation of the non-local hidden variables, which could be the space in which they move. No wormholes involved.
  • PhilosophyRunner
    What you are postulating is the transfer of information between two different localities through the means of non-local hidden variable. Despite you asserting no transfer of information, your theory does require the transfer of information.

That violates special relativity.

Which is why most non-local interpretations of quantum mechanics don't posit non-local hidden variable, but rather that out classical understanding of locality is wrong.
  • Haglund
    What you are postulating is the transfer of information between two different localities through the means of non-local hidden variable.PhilosophyRunner

That's not what I'm postulating. I postulate no transfer of information between two localities. I postulate one simultaneous (in the rest frame) transfer at two locations towards the spins. Not between the locations.
  • PhilosophyRunner
    That's not what I'm postulating. I postulate no transfer of information between two localities. I postulate one simultaneous (in the rest frame) transfer at two locations towards the spins. Not between the locations.Haglund

That won't explain the Bell's test results. In your above example, Bell's inequality should hold.
  • Haglund

"A non-local hidden variable theory would just say that there are hidden variables but they are non-local. Such a theory wouldn't get around Bell's inequality - it would claim that the inequality is correct and says that the laws of physics are non-local."
  • PhilosophyRunner
    that the laws of physics are non-local.Haglund

As per your quote (I don't know where you got that from), the laws of physics also have to be non-local. You can't simply have non-local hidden variables, you then have to also postulate the very concept of locality does not hold (not just for hidden variables).

That would very much be under "or our understanding of locality is incomplete" that I wrote earlier.

A non-local hidden variable pushing information one way to the two particles simultaneously would not violate Bell's inequality. But our experimental results do violate Bell's inequality
  • Haglund
    As per your quote (I don't know where you got that from), the laws of physics also have to be non-local. You can't simply have non-local hidden variables, you then have to also postulate the very concept of locality does not hold (not just for hidden variables).PhilosophyRunner

Particles are local, and the variables behind their motion, the wavefunction guiding them, non-local.
  • Harry Hindu
    As I notems to me that if you want to know yhe meaning of somet me that hingd, I just wanted to keep things simple. I think there are issues with non-physical causes that would muddy the waters of a discussion.T Clark
    But that is what I'm saying, there is no such thing as a "physical" cause. Your title doesnt make that distinction either. Do you want to know the meaning of "cause", which does exist or the meaming of something that does not exis? It seems to me that if you want to know the meaning of something then you need to include all instances of that something, and not cherry-pick your examples or else you would be muddying the waters instead acquiring a clearer picture of what it is youre talking about any explanation you come up with would never hope to explain what cause really means.
  • PhilosophyRunner
    Particles are local, and the variables behind their motion, the wavefunction guiding them, non-local.Haglund

This non-local waveform you postulate needs to be able to transfer information from one local particle to another, if it is to explain Bell's test results.

Or transfer information from the state of the equipment to the other particle

Which is why most theories focusing on non-locality are around our current understanding of locality being wrong.

Simply pushing information from a non-local variable to the two particles doesn't work.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.