• Agent Smith
    Why is anything simple? "Define simple". :roll: Anyway, it's a simple description of concepts that people make ridiculously complicated, hair-brained arguments for. I don't particularily care about how simple or not simple it is.Noble Dust

Well, you claimed that "it's way simpler...". I wanna know how and why, it's that. I'd like to know what complexity and simplicity are, you seem to have a good handle on these matters. :chin:

Let's make progress! Shall we?
  • Noble Dust

It's so simple that you can't understand it. That's all I have, sorry.
  • EugeneW

Noble Dust is right Agent! The emanation of the gods is what we call the scientific universe.
  • Agent Smith
    It's so simple that you can't understand it. That's all I have, sorry.Noble Dust

Are you saying that you too can't understand it because "it's so simple"? :chin:

So our powers of comprehension hit a wall as it gets both simpler and more complex. Why do you think that is? Any ideas?
  • Agent Smith
    emanationEugeneW

Jizz! :lol:
  • Noble Dust

No; I understand it but you don't. You think too logically, so you can't understand it.
  • Agent Smith
    No; I understand it but you don't. You think too logically, so you can't understand it.Noble Dust

So, you're being illogical, but then how can one understand something, even if that thing is simple? Logic is the essence of comprehension, oui?
  • Noble Dust
    Logic is the essence of comprehension, oui?Agent Smith

No.
  • Agent Smith
    too logicallyNoble Dust

Too logically? Explain that to me, please. How can one be too logical?
  • Agent Smith
    NoNoble Dust

What is then?
  • Noble Dust

I don't know what "the essence of comprehension" is, but it's not logic.
  • Agent Smith
    I don't know what "the essence of comprehension" is, but it's not logicNoble Dust

You mean to say you don't understand how you understand?

:chin:
  • Agent Smith
    NoNoble Dust

Then explain this apparently novel way of comprehension to me. It, as per you, has nothing to do with logic. What could it be, I wonder?
  • EugeneW

It could be they used their other side, not sure. They didn't tell me about the mechanism of creation, my love...
  • Agent Smith
    It could be they used their other side, not sure. They didn't tell me about the mechanism of creation, my love...EugeneW

:smile:
  • EugeneW
    What could it be, I wonder?Agent Smith

"I winder"...
    Oops, sorry, "I wonder"...
  • Agent Smith
    "I winder"...EugeneW

:confused:
  • Noble Dust

Explain to me why logic is the nexus through which comprehension moves.
  • EugeneW
    The logic of creation: the gods were bored. From bacteria to whale gods, from tree gods to parrot gods. Endlessly making war and love became too much. Existential void. Power of creation-> the eternal universe. Now they only watch to fill the heavenly emptiness. Let's not disappoint them!
  • Agent Smith
    Explain to me why logic is the nexus through which comprehension movesNoble Dust

First off, comprehension and logic go hand in hand; eveey schoolboy knows that. To say "I understand" is to claim I can see how the propositions in question are logically connected. Why would I need to explain this, I frankly am puzzled by this demand!

Second, there could be alternatives to logic, as you claimed in your previous posts. You claim that you understand it. Your task, insofar as the two of us are concerned, is to show me this other way of apprehension.

Let's make progress!
  • Noble Dust
    To say "I understand" is to claim I can see how the propositions in question are logically connected.Agent Smith

Not at all. What a sad education.

Let's make progress!Agent Smith

Yes, let's...
  • Agent Smith
    Well...

What's this new system (of comprehension) you have?
  • Noble Dust

It's not new, you just missed out on it.
  • Noble Dust

Anyway, I didn't mean that as a joke or an affront. I just think we're talking past one another here.
  • Agent Smith
    It's not new, you just missed out on it.Noble Dust

Can you provide a link to a reliable resource?

Forget it, our conversation, as it seems to me, does nothing to advance the OP.

That said, I was hoping to inject mysticism and irrationalism into the discussion if only to broaden the inquiry.

Some questions remain unanswered though.

1. It's simple and I don't understand it while others do. :sad:

2. Comprehension can be delinked from logic. Intriguing to say the least.

3. Noble Dust, you've been for the most part evading my questions. Whatever floats your boat, señor/señorita.

Have a good day. Let's not hijack this thread.
  • 180 Proof
    What, in your view, is the nexus between science, art, and god?Agent Smith
    Human Agency.
  • Noble Dust
    Can you provide a link to a reliable resource?Agent Smith

Of course not; The reliable source is you. If you want to inject mysticism, then start here.
  • Agent Smith
    Human Agency.180 Proof

Human agency? Capabilities + Constraints, how exactly does the two link up art, science, and God to produce a pleasing/satisfying, or not, picture (of reality)?
  • Agent Smith
    Atheist public figures like Dan Barker, Richard Dawkins, and Daniel Dennett have gone on record that their lot is a bit impoverished in the art sector, the theists enjoying a rich assortment of religious art like paintings, songs, and music. All 3 have also confessed to feeling inspired by religious art, especially the music.

It's not the religious content of music in this case that's having an effect on people - for Barker, Dawkins, and Dennett, the lyrics are semantically empty, meaningless as it were. The power of music to transcend boundaries like that between theists and atheists is art with a foot in both camps, oui?

Scientists too experience music in similar, sublime ways, and it's been repeated often enough that scientific equations when beheld or pondered upon and grasped produce mental states very like ones we see when listening to a favorite song or score.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.