• ArmChairPhilosopher
    What's a lack of belief?

Either God exists xor God doesn't exist.

There are just two options and we know what theists chose.
    Agent Smith

I think you are missing something here. In Aristotelian logic, only well formed propositions can have a truth value.
    Neither "god exists" nor " god doesn't exist" are well formed propositions without a definition what that "god" thing is.

Regard the following syllogism:

P1: Clapton is god.
    P2: Clapton exists. (And is real and there is evidence for that.)
    C: God exists.

Did I just prove gods existence and end the discussion? I have a definition for god, I have evidence that a thing/being with the given definition is real. The conclusion follows from the premises.
  • Michael
    What's a lack of belief?Agent Smith

What do you believe I had for breakfast this morning?

What did you believe I had for breakfast this morning before I asked you the question?
  • 180 Proof
    Words have usage not intrinsic meaning. Most atheists use the word to mean that they are not convinced any god/s exist. It is us[ua]lly not a knowledge claim.Tom Storm
    :up:

Tabula rasa interpretation

1. Blank page (lack of belief?)
    2. Written on page, God exists (theism)
    3. Written on page, God doesn't exist (atheism)
    Agent Smith
    4. Written on page, theism is not true (antitheism)
  • Paulm12
    Did the article always make such broad claims without citing sources? I like the beginning but I quickly got annoyed with statements like
    the vast majority of atheists have made no attempt to reflect on more than one or two of the many legitimate concepts of God that exist both inside and outside of various religious communities [No citation]

the stereotype that New Atheism is religious or quasi-religious or ideological in some unprecedented way is clearly a false one and one that New Atheists reject
    with a citation to Oxford Handbook of Atheism, which also says

For these authors, religion is ‘violent, irrational, intolerant, allied to racism and tribalism and bigotry’ (Reference Hitchens 2008, 56), and centred on a malevolent deity (Reference Dawkins 2007, 51), who inspires his followers to ‘lie and even to kill’ (Reference Dennett 2007, 338) for a destructive vision that threatens human flourishing (Reference Harris 2006, 227)... any ‘toleration extended by contemporary atheists is generally viewed as an interim solution, before religion eventually dies its natural, or induced, death’ (Reference Cotter 2011, 91).
    which sounds pretty quasi-religious or ideological.
  • Hillary
    . I simply don't believe in a God because there is no evidence.Philosophim

Then why do I see the evidence all around me and you don't?
  • Tom Storm
    Then why do I see the evidence all around me and you don't?Hillary

Maybe it's because people jump to conclusions about what they see and have different understandings for what passes as evidence. (This can support both theism or atheism)
  • Hillary

Yeah, guess so. Whether you jump the shark or nuke the fridge, we're all stuck in the same sticky shit.
  • Philosophim

That should be clear right? If I'm a mathamatician, will I know what its like to be a baseball player? All of us have different experiences in life. You could try sharing that evidence if you like.
  • Hillary
    You could try sharing that evidence if you likePhilosophim

Every creature and the sky beneath which they life is proof of God.
  • Heracloitus

Because you are a hopeless romantic
  • Hillary
    Because you are a hopeless romanticemancipate

Correction, Calimero! Hopeless no, romantic yes. Will being romantic show you god(,s)?
  • Philosophim
    You could try sharing that evidence if you like
    — Philosophim

Every creature and the sky beneath which they life is proof of God.
    Hillary

Its a nice thought. If that is enough for you to believe in a God, and such belief enhances your life, I don't want to take that away from you. But for someone like me, I need more than that.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet