• Tom Storm
    I agree with your summary. In the end I guess it doesn't matter too much if students pursue Shakespeare or (insert canonical writer of preference). But I do wonder what might happen to critical thinking above and beyond the education debate. Will people have the skills to tell good ideas from bad ideas (however that looks in practice)?
  • Fooloso4
    Will people have the skills to tell good ideas from bad ideas (however that looks in practice)?Tom Storm

Not all people but some, but hasn't it always been that way? I think the notions of democracy and egalitarianism can be harmful with regard to this. There should be an equality of opportunity, but above some level of minimum competency maybe less emphasis should be put on getting everyone to do better, and perhaps more than they are capable of, and more resources on helping students excel at what they are good at and interested in.

As to critical thinking, I think that a more practical integrative approach would be better for some students than courses in abstract critical thinking. Although the latter should not be neglected. One example is the process of troubleshooting. Another might be, how to feed a family in one hour with only the limited ingredients on hand. Or how to feed a family with only a certain amount of money.

Instead of Shakespeare video/movies/TV that addresses some of the same issues can be effective.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet