• Average
    Is slave morality a real thing? Is it a bad thing? Christianity was supposed to be the old incarnation of slave morality but others have suggested that it was the opiate of the masses. Is Christianity a tool used by the weak to control and manipulate the strong or is it a tool used by the rich to control and manipulate the poor? Perhaps it is neither. Maybe Nietzsche was wrong to attack Christianity and maybe Marx was wrong to suggest that Christianity was an imaginary flower.
  • Shwah

Nietzsche ended his life trapped in a sanitarium. I doubt there's much information to take from him.
    Morals make you a better more assertive and effective person (much to the chagrin of 16 year olds everywhere) and this is plenty evident throughout history even if hollywood tries to make it all seem sacrificial and negative. Socrates death bore western philosophy and christ's sacrifice was much more fundamental than that and bore the supplanting of western philosophy at the time and the basis of western civilization (to include laws, art, politics, modern philosophy, missionaries sent to dangerous areas to make alphabets for them so they can read the bible etc).
  • Agent Smith
    Nietzsche ended his life trapped in a sanitariumShwah

:lol: You mean to say we're putting stock in the writings of a madman? Very good point, sir/madam! Does this mean @180 Proof that if Freddy makes sense to you, you too are mental asylum material?
  • Shwah

I'd rather not converse with you.
  • Agent Smith
    Slave morality.

Democritus believed that (modernizing his words) it's better to have the gun pointed at you than you pointing the gun at someone (conscientious objectors). Democritus was a pre-Christian Greek philosopher if memory serves. What did he mean by that? If given a choice, would it be better to be a slave than a slave-master? Darwinian sorcery or the transcendence of heart-mind?
  • Agent Smith
    I'd rather not converse with you.Shwah

You too! :sad:
  • 180 Proof
    I've read Einstein's "Relativity" but that doesn't make me a genius. (Btw, Freddy died in bed at his sister's home.)
  • Tom Storm
    (Btw, Freddy died in bed at his sister's home.)180 Proof

Could have been worse. He could have died in bed with his sister... :cool:
  • 180 Proof
    Sadly, he basically did though Freddy didn't know it (and more or less hated her in those final years before "his lights went out" for her rabid anti-semitism and proto-nazism).
  • EugeneW
    If there is anyone the gods laughed about then it was about Freddy... They even thanked the humanoid gods for it.
  • Agent Smith
    I've read Einstein's "Relativity" but that doesn't make me a genius. (Btw, Freddy died in bed at his sister's home.)180 Proof

That's not the same thing. Freddy's madness would've percolated, like good tea, throughout his work and if his warped logic makes sense to you, something's off, oui?

Einstein's genius is a different issue. Genius does rub off on other people, but the correlation isn't as good i.e. consistent enough to allow even a simple rule of thumb to be formulated.

Have you heard of Lasègue–Falret syndrome, shared delusions?

Just to be clear, I give you a clean bill of (mental) health!
  • Agent Smith
    Could have been worseTom Storm

:up:
  • EugeneW
    missionaries sent to dangerous areas to make alphabets for them so they can read the bible etcShwah

Who are "them" and "they"? Why should they read the bible?

I've read Einstein's "Relativity" but that doesn't make me a genius.180 Proof

Neither was Einstein. Basically he stole his theory.
  • Shwah

I'm not interested in conversing with you.
  • EugeneW
    Have you heard of Lasègue–Falret syndrome, shared delusions?Agent Smith

Seems like Freddy's sister was a mental case too. No wonder, lying in bed with your brother at old age wrecks the both. The Förster-Nietzsche syndrome.
  • Agent Smith
    Freddy's sister was a mental case too.EugeneW

:sad: Double trouble. It never rains, it pours.
  • Tzeentch
    Democritus believed that (modernizing his words) it's better to have the gun pointed at you than you pointing the gun at someone (conscientious objectors). Democritus was a pre-Christian Greek philosopher if memory serves. What did he mean by that? If given a choice, would it be better to be a slave than a slave-master?Agent Smith

It's a thought many seem to obide by ("better him than me!"), but without the conviction that it is better to undergo evil than to perform it oneself, one cannot be truly moral. Within the "better him than me" mentality lies the admission that any moral conduct is a facade - a matter of convenience, and not truly part of one's being.
  • Agent Smith
    It's a thought many seem to obide by ("better him than me!"), but without the conviction that it is better to undergo evil than to perform it oneself, one cannot be truly moral. Within the "better him than me" mentality lies the admission that any moral conduct is a facade - a matter of convenience, and not truly part of one's beingTzeentch

Darwinian sorcery! Should I be happy that someone at least pretended to love me rather than just not love me at all? As per fiction, no! Actors sometimes lose themselves in the characters they play. Can a fake Buddha become a genuine Buddha?
  • Tzeentch
    Can a fraud Buddha become a genuine Buddha?Agent Smith

Of course, but it's unlikely they'll get there through fraudulent ways. "Fake it till you make it" only works when one wishes and manages to deceive others, but to endeavor to deceive oneself is irrational, and the reverse course to spiritual development.
  • Agent Smith
    Of course, but it's unlikely they'll get there through fraudulent ways. "Fake it till you make it" only works when one wishes and manages to deceive others, but to endeavor to deceive oneself is irrational, and the reverse course to spiritual development.Tzeentch

I'm a bit troubled by the level of certainty in your pronouncements.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.