• Constance
    The former lines up with analytic philosophy.Constance

I should add, minus the attitude.
  • Shwah

Yeah I think anything continental covers that analytic can or does but not vice versa.
  • EugeneW

I was just about to quote "knitting with an attitude"...
  • EugeneW
    But then, why are we born to suffer and die?Constance

That depends on your theology.
  • Constance
    But maybe I'm just old school. Others may believe that feeling now trumps thinking. Or the hermeneutics of approved texts is where it is at.apokrisis

But one gets hung up on clarity with just this rigorous standard, and the when things get interesting, clarity gets dogmatic, as if the best we can do is stick with old vocabularies. Nah! Not that feeling trumps thinking; but that feeling is there for the analysis
  • Constance
    That depends on your theology.EugeneW

Is there nothing there theology cannot handle? Something that persists regardless?
  • EugeneW
    Is there nothing there theology cannot handle? Something that persists regardless?Constance

The eternal universe made by the gods.
  • Constance
    Yeah I think anything continental covers that analytic can or does but not vice versa.Shwah

I think they just gave up in the analytical US. So controlled, but so tedious, mostly.
  • EugeneW
    The ultimate goal of the philosopher is to see themselves acting as copies of the gods in heaven. After long excursions and trips into the fields of ethics, ontology, science, metaphysics, etymology, mathematics, freedom, will, determinism, dualism, matter, mind and body, monism, atheism, theology, politics, observations, perceptions, objective truths, methodologies, logic, etcetera, it's time to time to thank our philosophers in time and welcome a new dawn in Philosophia.
  • Joshs
    it's time to time to thank our philosophers in time and welcome a new dawn in Philosophia.EugeneW

Do you have any candidates in mind who you think are contributing to this new dawn? I don’t know of any living philosophers who are offering anything significantly beyond what writers like James and Nietzsche produced over 130 years ago.
  • Ansiktsburk
    An Initial requirement is you have to have a pole up your behind.
    — Ansiktsburk

A portrait of the earnest as a wrong man?
    lll

Rather a man who puts on an image of being right. Or at least, talking right.
  • jgill
    The ultimate goal of the philosopher is to see themselves acting as copies of the gods in heavenEugeneW

Someone had to say it. Everyone on TPF knows it down deep inside. Now that it's in the open one can stand erect, proud to advance what we all know to be true! :halo:
  • jas0n
    Someone had to say it. Everyone on TPF knows it down deep inside. Now that it's in the open one can stand erect, proud to advance what we all know to be true!jgill

I can't tell how ironic this statement is. I do think it's...metaphorically true....or not so crazy a theory...
123456Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.