• Enrique
    An inquiry for any of you who are familiar with quantum entanglement and relativity: has progress been made on identifying mechanisms of entanglement and contrasting them with the theoretical dynamics of an extremely fast-moving object within a relativistic reference frame?

Perhaps this isn't ideal subject matter for this forum, but I know more than a few of you are science savvy. I'm trying to think about how synchronicity of an entity such as the collective unconscious can possibly be worked into a neuroscientific account of mind. For some background on my current comprehension of what neuroscience has to say on the topic of consciousness and where this zaniness derives from, look at the OP of my thread A Physical Explanation for Consciousness.
  • EugeneW
    has progress been made on identifying mechanisms of entanglement and contrasting them with the theoretical dynamics of an extremely fast-moving object within a relativistic reference frame?Enrique

Non-local hidden variables offer an explanation for entanglement. They can create a correlation between, say, electron spins lightyears apart, or, say, the positions of a single particle within the bounds of a wavefunction.
  • EugeneW
    I'm not sure what relativity has to do with this.
  • EugeneW
    Why do you think entanglement has a place in collective neuron currents? Entanglement has no causal power.
  • T Clark
    An inquiry for any of you who are familiar with quantum entanglement and relativity: has progress been made on identifying mechanisms of entanglement and contrasting them with the theoretical dynamics of an extremely fast-moving object within a relativistic reference frame?Enrique

As usual for your threads, I'll say this once and then go away. There is no science that says there is any connection between quantum entanglement and relativistic behavior. There is no science that says either of these have anything to do with consciousness. The suggestion that these kinds of connections do exist is pseudo-science. Pseudo-science does not belong on this forum. You should take it to a science forum where it will get the reception is deserves.
  • EugeneW
    There is no science that says there is any connection between quantum entanglement and relativistic behaviorT Clark

Well, a fast moving object sees two entangled electron spins collapse one after another when measured simultaneously in the rest frame. But relativity doesn't cause the entanglement.
  • EugeneW
    There is no science that says either of these have anything to do with consciousness.T Clark

There is no science that it doesn't either. In fact, the very theory advocated here says it does.
  • T Clark
    There is no science that it doesn't either. In fact, the very theory advocated here says it does.EugeneW

As I noted, the theory advocated here is not science.

Now, if you'll just let this go and don't respond, I'll go away and won't come back to this discussion.
  • EugeneW
    As I noted, the theory advocated here is not science.T Clark

Not yet. And at least he tries.
  • Enrique
    Why do you think entanglement has a place in collective neuron currents? Entanglement has no causal power.EugeneW

I have this idea that somewhat low frequency EM radiation generated from electric currents in neurons could be emitted through the skull, supervening on external light and matter to create a a sort of steady state, extremely heterogeneous photonic field with atomic/biomolecular nodes, all of which superpositions in some kind of complex way. If you've ever seen an infrared video of the head, a HUGE amount of thermal energy is produced, so the brain could be like a light emission factory.

Waves of EM radiation are fast enough that this might account for some synchronicity of consciousness within the brain/environment if neural or cellular mechanisms capable of registering certain spectra of light are discovered. But of course a speed limit still exists if this is the case, and then the issue becomes is it even conceivable that nonlocality amongst spatially distant biological structures could propagate faster than light as quantum entanglement experiments might suggest?

As far as I know, entanglement experiments have so far identified probabilistic correlations rather than direct causal linkage between particles as per the standard quantum mechanical model, so nonlocal hidden variables we don't much observe or understand scientifically must be involved as you mentioned. Does any evidence hint that nonlocal hidden variables can participate in some sort of collective or spiritual consciousness? If the light hypothesis is accurate, perhaps our entire concept of space will need to be revised so that light can supersede Newtonian physics by traveling through some kind of time-transcending hyperspace, and this might have an association with relativity.

Those are wild ideas, but not unreasonable to entertain I think considering how much of everybody's perception and experience of the world cannot be accounted for by classical pictures.
  • EugeneW
    Does any evidence hint that nonlocal hidden variables can participate in some sort of collective or spiritual consciousness?Enrique

That's a very good question! There is no evidence, but I think it does.

I think HV constitute space, and together with the particle they surround form a kind of basic unit of consciousness. Even the particle itself can be thought as made up of space. Though charges must have a place too.
  • 180 Proof
    There is no science that says there is any connection between quantum entanglement and relativistic behavior. There is no science that says either of these have anything to do with consciousness. The suggestion that these kinds of connections do exist is pseudo-science. Pseudo-science does not belong on this forum. You should take it to a science forum where it will get the reception is deserves.T Clark
    :clap: :100: :fire:
  • EugeneW

See? The MWI doesn't belong on this forum. Only by naming it I already have paid to much service to it.
  • EugeneW
    If the light hypothesis is accurate, perhaps our entire concept of space will need to be revised so that light can supersede Newtonian physics by traveling through some kind of time-transcending hyperspace, and this might have an association with relativity.Enrique

I'm not sure I get this. Light works instantaneous already. The infinite lightspeed in Newtonian theory is replaced by the finite one in relativity. Without a finite lightspeed there would be no cause and effect and mass could not exist.
  • Enrique
    Without a finite lightspeed there would be no cause and effect and mass could not exist.EugeneW

I'm not well-schooled in matters of relativity, but I gather that as objects approach light speed the fixed energy or mass increases, and this has actually been measured in many settings such as experiments involving electrons. I think the phenomenon might actually occur in accelerators as particles reach huge speeds, unleashing massive amounts of energy and "relativistically" fusing into uncommonly large elementary particles upon collision, such as the Higgs boson.

If particles in the brain or elsewhere are made to spin or move in some manner near light speed, perhaps at the subatomic scale, they can gain mass along with radiating unexpectedly large amounts of relativistic energy in the form of light etc. Merely a conjecture, but this could in principle be measured and might be a signature of light superpositions associated with consciousness.

If you think about it, is it even possible for subatomic particles to have constant velocity? At the quantum scale as charges move around, all matter and energy might predominantly be either accelerating or decelerating.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment