• TiredThinker
    I recently started reading a very large book and perhaps because I'm middle aged, eye strain, terrible brain function and the like I worry my reading speed isn't quite up to par. How does everyone else do in that department?

Assume 450 words per page on average, college level reading, very high-falutin dialogs.
    1. How many minutes to read 10 pages? (4 votes)
        20 Mins
        25%
        25 Mins
        50%
        30 Mins
          0%
        40 Mins
          0%
        45 Mins
        25%
  • L'éléphant
    You should allow little breaks.
  • MAYAEL
    I am very very slow because I have to read it a minimum of 3 or 4x in order to grab all the parts I missed because of my stupid dyslexia. Ironically though before I had dyslexia back when I was 6 or 7 I could speed read faster then any adult I knew and I got in trouble for it I was constantly accused of "skipping over it" untill I told them what the page said in order to prove it to them lol . Oh the good old days
  • Sir2u

I have dyslexia, it has mild affects most of the time but is more noticeable when under stress or tired. I was always behind as a kid when it came to speed but I did like to read. I got better and faster when I started reading more in my 20's and developed habits and methods to help myself. The effects of dyslexia were hard to notice.
    I had to stop reading so much for a couple of reasons, age and my previous profession screwed up my eyes, not as much time as before and the lack of availability of books that I wanted to read. Where I live English language books are rare and expensive.

But I solved the problem by finding places were I could download audio books for free. Now I can sit back, close my eyes and listen all day.
  • Sir2u

Are you sure you have dyslexia? It is usually considered a neurological problem that prevents kids from developing the ability to read, not a condition that undoes already learned abilities
  • L'éléphant
    I was never a voracious reader. My reading habits only developed when I studied philosophy. So, my reading habits is what you get when you read philosophical writings -- you read passages not the whole book, you jumped from one philosopher to the next, you jumped from one notion to another, you only really focus on one idea at a time, and you neglect to read fiction.
  • Jack Cummins

Do you read all writing at the same speed? I vary according to what I am reading, but not simply on the basis of whether the writing is grabbing my attention although that may be a factor. I go more slowly if I am wishing to stop and think about the ideas. So, sometimes I skim through books which don't seem paying that much attention to and often spend the longest time on the ones that seem worth reflecting on.

I do have some eye problems too, so try to take breaks, especially when reading online because the blue light can have bad effects on the retina.
  • TiredThinker

Phone reading has become easy for me, but book reading is harder. I recommend blue light reduction options. The speed certainly depends on the language and phrasing and tendencies towards run on sentences.
  • L'éléphant
    Time yourself using different philosophers. I used Schopenhauer for this purpose. But try JS Mill, god damn! Archaic language. Descartes -- you should meditate on his meditation to get his point. Aristotle -- he's good to read -- like an ocean wave.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.