• Average
    I have an uncle who is always telling me that perfection is impossible. I told him that I would ideally like to live a life composed entirely of decisions that make sense and his response to my statement was “it’ll never be perfect”. I’m wondering what other people might think about this subject. Is it possible to live a life that is flawless or are we destined to live lives that are less than ideal?
  • god must be atheist
    Your uncle was right. And you were right. You can live a life of correct decisions, but it won't be perfect, for the simple reason that perfection eludes definition when it is used to measure quality of life. There is no metric or benchmark to mark perfection. It is an idealized quality, which can't be expressed by measurements, therefore it is futile to imagine that anything can be perfect, since we can't at all tell what is perfect and what is not.
  • Average
    it is futile to imagine that anything can be perfect, since we can't at all tell what is perfect and what is not.god must be atheist

Would it be futile to imagine that anything can be true simply because we can’t at all tell what is true and what is not? Let’s imagine a hypothetical situation in which it would be impossible for us to discover the truth for one reason or another. Let’s say for example that someone had a severe form of paralysis that rendered them incapable of discerning fact from fiction. Would their inability to acquire knowledge mean that there is nothing to be known?
  • MAYAEL
    You're assuming fact is something that's readily available to the average person and comprehendible and not just popular beliefs. Very very few things are truly fat and even that statement is in question
  • Down The Rabbit Hole

I suspect we have insufficient information and brainpower to make the correct decisions consistently.
  • Tom Storm
    Is it possible to live a life that is flawless or are we destined to live lives that are less than ideal?Average

My take on this is that the question isn't answerable and isn't entirely coherent. What does flawless mean? Flawlessness can only be measured in relation to some agreed upon criteria. What would that be? Christianity? Rorty's postmodernism? Camus' existentialism? Your own subjective predilections?

If you are asking is it possible to be a human being and not make the wrong choices occasionally or often the answer I think is 'no'.
  • Average
    If you are asking is it possible to be a human being and not make the wrong choices occasionally or often the answer I think is 'no'.Tom Storm

Why do you believe that it’s impossible?
  • Tom Storm
    I think this is self evident. When was the last time you met a perfect human being?
  • Average
    When was the last time you met a perfect human being?Tom Storm

all swans we have seen are white, and, therefore, all swans are white?
  • Deleted User
    I have an uncle who is always telling me that perfection is impossible.Average

So, what you're saying grandpa, is that you've concluded the absolute, perfect conclusion about the nature of perfection? Sounds like grandpa's standards for perfection, are for the absence of it entirely.... Bummer... I had similar kind of grandpa, he was miserable.

Is it possible to live a life that is flawless or are we destined to live lives that are less than ideal?Average

Have you ever heard Ana Vidovic play classical guitar? Give that a listen for me, and then tell me if you detected any flaws. It's something that people are misconstrued about. Perfection must be in regards to an endeavor, and is a standard YOU place into that activity, or endeavor, which you pursue in achievement. A standard that, once achieved, because we are constantly computing data and refining our neural pathways of learning and nuance, is replaced by a new standard, which develops in accordance with our coherent network of endlessly accrued data on the subject, as well as our continued interested in achieving it, and which is executed itself. Ever on repeat. Didn't you ever wonder how we got the statue of David? Perfection is when one achieves their own self-generated standard in flawless execution. While you're looking up Ana Vidovic to see what I mean, jump over to Passion Flower by John Gomm using the exact same instrument and tell me what it is you hear. Do you not hear flawlessness, perfection, played in different keys and themes? Guess it's up to you, isn't?
  • Deleted User
    I think this is self evident.Tom Storm

That is correct,

AverageAverage

This is the exact proper view of things: Self evident.
  • Average
    Have you ever heard Ana Vidovic play classical guitar?Garrett Travers

I admit she has talent
  • Tom Storm
    all swans we have seen are white, and, therefore, all swans are white?Average

All human beings we have seen are imperfect, therefore all human beings are imperfect. Yep. I think human being is a synonym for imperfection, set aside falsifiability. I call this one a priori. :cool:
  • Deleted User

:cool:

You're welcome.
  • Average
    You say that every human being is imperfect but if that’s true by definition, because you said that they’re synonymous, then it seems like circular reasoning to me. Please correct me if I’m wrong.
  • Average
    When was the last time you met a perfect human being?Tom Storm

I think human being is a synonym for imperfectionTom Storm

How could I ever meet a perfect human being if human being is a synonym for imperfection? If anything is incoherent it’s your question.
  • javi2541997

I think perfection depends on aesthetic. It is a pretty subjective concept. Most of the cases are reflected on arts and how they show what we consider as "perfect". Keep in mind that we the humans tend to want to improve ourselves always. So, probably, "perfection" is another goal which the people longs.
    When we see a paint of Goya or Monet we debate about the perfection of their works, right?
    So, perfection could exists but is up to the people's thoughts or tastes.

are we destined to live lives that are less than ideal?Average

Absolutely. When we become old and then mature, we tend to idealize our lives less. We simply see it as objective trying to be the most happy as we can.
  • Tom Storm
    ou say that every human being is imperfect but if that’s true by definition, because you said that they’re synonymous, then it seems like circular reasoning to me. Please correct me if I’m wrong.Average

I'm just having a bit of fun, man. It's my opinion that human beings are imperfect - all problems with induction aside. This is a presupposition I hold it does not require defending. You are welcome not to accept this view. Find me a perfect person and I will change my mind - but first define perfection as it applies to human beings. As I said the question itself is unfinished. Which brings us right back to my first response.
  • Average
    It is a pretty subjective concept.javi2541997

perfection could exists but is up to the people's thoughts or tastes.javi2541997

I hope you don’t mind me asking but why do you believe these claims are true?
  • Average
    okay I’m sorry if I got defensive.
  • L'éléphant
    I detest perfection -- whatever that means since I don't think I have encountered perfection ever. And I'm not even sure what a flawless life is. It's weird to use it in this context since we know we can't control everything in our life to make it work the way we envision.
    That said, I have no attraction to perfection. I am drawn to "flawed" people, whose flaws make them interesting. I am also fascinated by those whose bad decisions in life didn't deter them from continuing the path they've chosen and overcoming it.
    People who try to live a perfect life is boring to me.
  • Tom Storm
    You're fine. No probs. :wink:
  • Average
    first define perfection as it applies to human beings.Tom Storm

I’m not sure I understand what you mean by “as it applies to human beings”. Would you mind providing some clarification?
  • Average
    I detest perfection -- whatever that means since I don't think I have encountered perfection ever.L'éléphant

You’re a fortunate man if you’ve never had to encounter something that you detest. I wish I was that lucky.
  • javi2541997

I do not know if those are true, I pretend to defend my side. I always thought that perfection depends on someone's looks because we tend to be pretty subjective when we speak about art or "perfection"
    Probably, it does not exist an universal concept inside perfection itself. I guess it only exists in our minds (subjective) but does exist at the end... we cannot deny the concept of perfection at least in aesthetics
  • Deleted User
    It's my opinion that human beings are imperfectTom Storm

Whatevs, speak for yourself there, Storm Tom.
  • Tom Storm
    I’m not sure I understand what you mean by “as it applies to human beings”. Would you mind providing some clarification?Average

See my first answer when I asked about flawlessness. Same thing.
  • Deleted User
    I detest flawless perfection in life. I have no attraction to people I have encountered ever. And I'm not interesting. I am drawn to bad decisions in this context I think I'm not even sure is life. I am also fascinated by perfect people continuing to live a perfect life -- whatever that means. I control people whose flaws make them detest me. in this I am weird. overcoming it. life is boring.L'éléphant
  • Average
    Flawlessness can only be measured in relation to some agreed upon criteria.Tom Storm

Why do you believe this? Is it just another self evident axiom?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment