• Daemon
    If you know already what Dishbrain actually does @RogueAI could you explain it like I'm five? Otherwise, we are going to have to read the paper I linked to above.
  • Daemon
    I've found this description: The mass, which the researchers call a cyborg, was created by placing human stem cells on top of a micro-electric array, where they grew into brain cells. In their configuration, the cells can both stimulate other cells and read the activity of others around them. Electrical signals are sent to the array to tell them where the ball is located. If electrodes to the right of a cluster fire, for example, the brain cells know that the ball is to their left. The distance of the signal gives the cells information regarding frequency. As with real Pong, the paddle can only move left and right. And also like the real game, the goal is to move the paddle into the path of the ball.

The cyborg was taught to play the game in the same way as are humans—by playing the game repeatedly to learn how to move the paddle in ways that result in success. In this case, it was feedback in the form of electrical signals in the electrodes.

But I still don't know how it works. Too vague.
  • EugeneW

The paddle moves analogous in the collection of neurons. You could use more complicated motions. In 3d for example. Though this will require more neurons. The ball and peddle just have to meet. A strange attractor pulls them together and this can be measured.
  • Daemon
    I'm afraid that doesn't explain the process.
  • RogueAI
    I'm not exactly sure either. My understanding is they got a bunch of neurons to act as logic gates and coupled it to some software/hardware and taught it to play Pong.
  • EugeneW
    Somehow the paddle shape and ball shape have to coincide. The motion of the ball is represented analogue in the bunch (not digital). The bunch is repeatedly been exposed to the procedure of paddle and ball meeting. It remembers. Then when offering a motion of the ball the analogues will again try to meet, follow the memory trail, so to speak. Without a consciousness. A kind of longing though. For the memory trail.
  • Daemon

In that case the set-up has absolutely no connection with consciousness. Logic gates can be represented by a diverse range of items, for example some time ago Japanese researchers used crabs to act as logic gates. We interpret these items as logic gates, we ascribe that status to them.

The same is not true of the mechanisms of consciousness: their status, their function, is intrinsic to them, it doesn't depend on our say-so.

But I want to be fair to the Dishbrain people, so I am going to continue to plough through their paper and maybe ask them to explain it.
  • theRiddler
    Dishbrain's whole awareness is pain. It is all Dishbrain has ever known.
  • 180 Proof
    I'm not aware of any evidence of anything about "dishbrain" that suggests it's "conscious" in any recognizable sense.
  • Daemon
    I've written to the lead author of the paper asking if he can provide a simplified explanation of the role of the neurons in the set-up. Watch this space.
  • Agent Smith
    Consciousness

1. Other-awareness: Dishbrain is conscious (it reacts to the environment, plays a simple game)

2. Self-awareness: Dishbrain is not (?) conscious. Is it capable of metacognition?

:chin:
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.