• spirit-salamander
    I found an interesting argument against the existence of the medieval scholastic God of St. Augustine, St. Anselm, and St. Thomas in another philosophy forum (https://onlinephilosophyclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=376142#p376142).

I hope or think it should be ok if I present it here for discussion. A certain user named Hugh_Jidiette posted it in that competitor forum.

According to Hugh_Jidiette, his argument concerns only one particular model of God, namely Classical Theistic, and not other models: "This argument is against the God of classical Theism, not skeptical Theism, or open Theism." (Hugh_Jidiette)

What particularly distinguishes this God is (this God also has the traditional attributes of omnibenevolence, omnipotence and omniscience), on the one hand, that he is supreme actuality (an Aristotelian notion), on the other hand, that he displays absolute simplicity (a Neoplatonic notion).

Another important point is that this God, like the Neoplatonic one, is his own final cause or end, that he wills himself first and foremost (only one undifferentiated eternal and timeless act of willing):

“God wills himself necessarily but does not will anything other than Himself necessarily, and all that He does will He wills with respect to Himself.” (Gilson, The Spirit of Mediaeval Philosophy)

A commentary on Plotinus' works explains it this way: Plotinus propounds "the doctrine of the Will of the One (ch. 13–21), its self-generating and self-determining power, which is coextensive with its essence. Though ‘free’ in the sense of unconstrained and self-caused, however, the One cannot be thought of as free to commit evil, or even to act otherwise than it does (ch. 21)." (PLOTINUS - THE ENNEADS TRANSLATED BY STEPHEN MacKENNA. ABRIDGED WITH AN INTRODUCTION AND NOTES BY JOHN DILLON. THE SIXTH ENNEAD; EIGHTH TRACTATE; ON FREE WILL AND THE WILL OF THE ONE; SUMMARY)

Now to the argument, which I would like to put here for discussion:

“1. Omni-benevolence entails permitting the most perfect world possible to obtain.

2. Necessarily, if God is omni-benevolent, God will permit the most perfect world possible to obtain

3. The most perfect world is one with no imperfections, to which its perfection could not be increased.

4. God is perfect- and necessarily omni-benevolent & omnipotent

5. Therefore a world where God alone exists is perfect by definition, since nothing can increase or add to its perfection.

6. The world where God alone exists is a possible world.

7. Therefore God would necessarily permit a world where he alone exists to obtain.

8. A world where God exists alone does not obtain.

9. Therefore God does not exist

1- follows from a definition of omni-benevolence. It does not necessarily by itself entail a perfect world. Theists tend to say 'possible' entails only what is logically possible- so maybe God can't logically eliminate all suffering/evil/imperfection in order to achieve some higher Good/perfection, if that good/perfection is achieved then God in permitting it is not acting contra his omni-benevolence.

2- Follows if the most perfect possible world is something God can actually bring about. Given his omnipotnece entails bringing about all logically possible worlds, the only question is- is the world sans creation possible? Yes (most theists think it actually obtained prior to creation).

3- I think this is pretty trivially true. A world lacking imperfections is presumably perfect. One could argue an empty world lacks imperfections, but is not perfect. But non existence is assumed to be an imperfection, so that doesn't follow.

4&5- God being perfect seems definitional to God. He is that which nothing greater than can be conceived, devoid of deficiency, possessing all the perfections. A world where God exists is by definition devoid of imperfections. Added to this, nothing permitted by God could add to its perfection- it could only ever add gratuitous imperfections. God could not justify that permittance by claiming to achieve some higher good or perfection, since by definition there could be none without suggesting a lack of perfection in the world prior to his permittance, which is to say that God alone is lacking a perfection, which entails he is imperfect, which is a contradiction.

6- Again, it is clearly possible for God to permit a possible world where he alone exists. Many theists believe he did just this prior to creation. To suggest otherwise seems to suggest either such a world is logically impossible, or God is not omnipotent. The latter is clearly impossible for God, the former is clearly wrong.

7- This follows from the above premises. Essentially, what God's omnipotence/omni-benevolence entail is that God would only permit a world where he alone exists. Perhaps you want to appeal to his freedom- but that would only be a freedom to permit gratuitous suffering. Whilst God may have that power, he would no more exercise it than he would commit an act of wanton evil, or an unjustifiable lie. Perhaps the response will be that in creating a world with free agents God is adding some value that did not already exist. But this commits you to the view that a perfect world can be lacking a value- that would of course be an imperfection. Or that God existing alone is not a perfect world. Given God is co-extensive with that world (as it contains nothing else) this implies God is not perfect, which runs into similar problems.

8- is obvious given we are having this conversation.

9- this follows because God has clearly failed to permit a world where he alone exists to obtain. Given God can not fail in this and given God's omni-benevolence entails this is what he would do, we can conclude that no perfect being with the attributes of omnipotence/omni-benevolence could possibly exist and the world exists. Given the world exists, then it is impossible for such a being to exist. These attributes are essential to God, therefore God can not exist.

The necessity here is one of logical entailment, such that to deny it would lead to a contradiction.“ (Hugh_Jidiette)
  • Fooloso4
    Can a being who is not perfect know what the most perfect world is?

If benevolence entails benefit to what is other then oneself, the a God who limits existence to the creation of itself would not be benevolent.
  • spirit-salamander

In principle, yes.

World 1 = God is alone

World 2 = God exists alongside a creation which has imperfections like temporality, spatial extension.

World 1 must therefore be more perfect than world 2.

The standards for perfection result from the given model of God, where he is purely actual and absolutely simple.
  • Fooloso4

Descartes makes the argument that the perfection of what God has created cannot be judged by some part of it. It is the whole that is perfect not some part.

If the absence of benevolence is an imperfection then a being who creates a world where only it exists is not a benevolent being. Neither it nor the world it creates would be perfect.
  • spirit-salamander
    If benevolence entails benefit to what is other then oneself, the a God who limits existence to the creation of itself would not be benevolent.Fooloso4

In this model of God, omnibenevolence is always directed first at itself: “In willing himself primarily, he wills all other things” (Aquinas SCG, 1.75).
  • Fooloso4
    In this model of God, omnibenevolence is always directed first at itself: “In willing himself primarily, he wills all other things” (Aquinas SCG, 1.75),spirit-salamander

But in your scenario God does not will all other things or even any other thing.
  • spirit-salamander
    If the absence of benevolence is an imperfection then a being who creates a world where only it exists is not a benevolent being. Neither it nor the world it creates would be perfect.Fooloso4

That's a good point.

But I think the omnibenevolence is there, as noted in my answer before (https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/comment/657003), even when God is alone.

Because otherwise God would gain a new characteristic with creation, which would make Him changeable. That is, he would have the potential of all-goodness and with the creation of the world, this potential would be actualized. However, this would violate the given model of God.
  • spirit-salamander

But in your scenario God does not will all other things or even any other thing.Fooloso4

I think that's the open question, whether God even wants other things as well. He might also want to be alone. According to the presented argument, however, which I have discovered and find very interesting, this God cannot exist at all due to the fact of the spatiotemporal world.
  • Fooloso4
    It could be argued that to deny living things their existence is an imperfection.
  • Paine

I am not aware of any place where Plotinus uses language like: "the doctrine of the Will of the One."

In the 'chain of realities' the One is not the direct source of the manifold of creation. Intelligence is the source of different beings. Intelligence reflects the One as an image of it. But it is not said that Intelligence is a change for the One. The use of the word 'will' in this case is to impute a meaning that is not intended by Plotinus.

Augustine took the Neo-Platonist cosmology and fused it with the kingdom of his 'heavenly father.' The One of Plotinus does not drop agents of his will onto the streets of Jerusalem or kick people out of Paradise.
  • javi2541997
    It could be argued that to deny living things their existence is an imperfection.Fooloso4

This is one of the arguments which are used by religious when they are against suicide. It is a paradox consider as an imperfection the act of denying a life when the life is imperfect itself since the beginning.
    If I want to end my life because I want to, is due to many reasons but for a sense of freedom. I can't see the act of suicide as "imperfect"
  • Fooloso4
    It is a paradox consider as an imperfection the act of denying a life when the life is imperfect itself since the beginning.javi2541997

It could be argued that it is an act of benevolence. That is is only man's imperfect concept of God's perfection that would lead to the conclusion that a perfect being would deny living things existence.
  • Constance
    “1. Omni-benevolence entails permitting the most perfect world possible to obtain.

2. Necessarily, if God is omni-benevolent, God will permit the most perfect world possible to obtain

3. The most perfect world is one with no imperfections, to which its perfection could not be increased.

4. God is perfect- and necessarily omni-benevolent & omnipotent

5. Therefore a world where God alone exists is perfect by definition, since nothing can increase or add to its perfection.

6. The world where God alone exists is a possible world.

7. Therefore God would necessarily permit a world where he alone exists to obtain.

8. A world where God exists alone does not obtain.

9. Therefore God does not exist
    spirit-salamander

Essentially saying what point would their be to creating anything outside Himself if He were already perfection itself. Not a far throw from Leibniz, no? Trying to reconcile imperfection (moral imperfection, that is, the only kind that really exists) with perfection. You know there is a bad premise in there and you have find this. But wait, they are ALL bad premises. Just bad metaphysics: You assume to talk of God as if the term could fit in a definition. Omni benevolence? What is this, the will to do good absolutely. What is the Good? This is the moral good, not the contingent good like good shoes. What is this absolute good such that were we to conceive of God's omnibenevolence we could call it a desire to do this kind of thing?
    And not just omnibenevolence, of course. Omniscience. Hell, I am omnibenevolent in my WILL to do nothing but good. So God knows WHAT the good is, where I do not. The Biblical Job's God haunts this thinking: Who are you to question God?
  • Deleted User

Omni-benevolence entails permitting the most perfect world possible to obtain.

Necessarily, if God is omni-benevolent, God will permit the most perfect world possible to obtain
    spirit-salamander

These two premises alone decimate the concept of the existence of a God outright. One need not go any further.

God is nothing more than an elaborate justification for using violence against other humans to achieve one's goals, instead of using one's own mind and body. That's why it has killed so many people, pretty simple really. The entire concept should be laughed off the face of the earth and replaced with philosophical training that hasn't been vitiated by its sentiments.
  • javi2541997
    God is nothing more than an elaborate justification for using violence against other humans to achieve one's goals, instead of using one's own mind and body.Garrett Travers

I going to sound as a childish atheist but what "God" and religion have spread during centuries is the pure act of ignorance. Instead of being a tool of wisdom it has been used to mitigate the people so easily. You can see that the countries where religion are above education, they tend to have poor rates of science, medicine, literature, etc...
  • Deleted User
    I going to sound as a childish atheist but what "God" and religion have spread during centuries is the pure act of ignorance. Instead of being a tool of wisdom it has been used to mitigate the people so easily. You can see that the countries where religion are above education, they tend to have poor rates of science, medicine, literature, etc...javi2541997

It is the single greatest force of evil and destruction in human history, no question, no doubt. And those metrics you enumerated are chump stuff, I can find the same nonsense in Red Russia, West Virginia, North Korea, and anywhere else that diregards reason. Power wants your mind, it doesn't care how it gets it, but it happens to know that if you hate yourself then it will appear noble when it offers you one hand while arming the other. That's the reason they killed all of the Epicureans and turned their communes into monastaries, couldn't have a bunch of ethical, rational people walking around, we need the public fuckin dead-headed and self-hating so we can justify indulgences, crusades, mass murder, and nuclear warfare. Religion should be ostracized into non-existence and humiliation.
  • Agent Smith
    God exists, that's for certain. Unfortunately or not, he's infinitely old and as we speak is self-treating (omniscient) Himself for senile dementia (caudacity). Is the medication helping? Look around you, what do you think?
  • Shwah

I think perfection is a bit of weasel-y word with no real address one can speak of. I find arguments involving "omni-" prefixes to similarly have issues. It's like trying to communicate "objective facts". You don't have objective knowledge and neither do I or any human so at best you're saying "what my subjective knowledge believes is objective" which functionally communicates nothing in and of itself. I think a lot of proofs suffer from this. Godel's ontological argument has less issues.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment