• baker
    Afghanistan. Somalia. The US.Olivier5

You said "without things like forgiveness and redemption, societies tend to accumulate hatred until people kill one another."

What evidence can you present that people wouldn't be killing eachother if they had "forgiveness and redemption"?

Resources needed for living are scarce and require considerable effort to be obtained. No amount of "forgiveness and redemption" can change that. People compete with eachother for the resources needed for living, and sometimes, this competition escalates to killing.

Unless Jesus makes haste and feeds multitudes with a few loaves of bread (and provides them with 5G internet while he's at it), from then on until forever, "forgiveness and redemption" are going to be as powerless as they've always been.
  • baker
    Come, man, tell us what you know!

Is "the ability to listen to opposing views without fear that we'll slide into a holocaust if you let other people have their say" something one can learn, or is it something one simply has or doesn't have, but cannot learn?
  • Olivier5
    What evidence can you present that people wouldn't be killing eachother if they had "forgiveness and redemption"?baker

I am not sure what kind of evidence would satisfy you. I imagine one could plot murder rates in various places vs some indicator of the prevalence of forgiveness in society. The latter indicator would be hard to develop though. Or one could appeal to faith: all religions call for it. Or to logic: hatred breads only more hatred, so how else can one break the cycle than through forgiveness?

What sort of evidence are you looking for?
  • Olivier5
    from then on until forever, "forgiveness and redemption" are going to be as powerless as they've always been.baker

It makes life bearable. You should try it one day.
  • baker
    I am not sure what kind of evidence would satisfy you. I imagine one could plot murder rates in various places vs some indicator of the prevalence of forgiveness in society. The latter indicator would be hard to develop though.Olivier5

You were the one to make the claim, so it's on you to provide the evidence.

Or one could appeal to faith: all religions call for it.

This would take a bit to explain, but it's not clear that "all religions" call for forgiveness and redemption, or what they actually mean by them.

Or to logic: hatred breads only more hatred, so how else can one break the cycle than through forgiveness?

"Logic" cannot determine the truth value of the premises we use in a syllogism.

It makes life bearable. You should try it one day.Olivier5

When "forgiveness" becomes a channel for contempt, then it no doubt makes life bearable, even more than that.
  • Olivier5
    You were the one to make the claim, so it's on you to provide the evidence.baker

To provide you with convincing evidence, I would need to have an idea of the type of evidence that would be likely to convince you. I suspect none whatsoever.

it's not clear that "all religions" call for forgiveness and redemption, or what they actually mean by them.baker

It is never clear to him who doesn't want to see.

When "forgiveness" becomes a channel for contemptbaker

I trust you will forgive me for it.
123456Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.